Wait a second...does the ATT Passport still feature a stainless steel frame like the original? Or is that just a decorative band?

Because if that is a continuous steel frame, then the ATT might have more structural integrity than the original Passport, making this a worthy upgrade to the rigidity of the frame, and not just a weird aesthetic sidegrade.

The original Passport has a frame that is split at the USB port, causing torquing of the frame...very easily I might add.

Attachment 325985

Attachment 325986
    01-07-15 11:58 PM
    Does the regular BlackBerry passport have a continuous frame as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 12:03 AM
    Does the regular BlackBerry passport have a continuous frame as well.

Posted via CB10
    No, the original Passport has a non-continuous steel frame. This can be seen in the photos I attached. However, it is structural. But because it is broken where the USB port lies, the rigidity is compromised when it comes to forces that cause torsion around the vertical axis of the phone.

It appears the redesign does have a continuous steel frame, though the questions is whether it's structural or not. I'd imagine it would need to be, especially as it acts as a heatsink in the current model.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    01-08-15 12:08 AM
    Nice observation. Maybe someone could get some HQ pics up and throw the magnifying glass on it.
    01-08-15 12:14 AM
    I dunno. Looking at the picks from the hands on article that was posted; It has a break on both sides between the middle and bottom rows of keys, also, looking at the shot from the bottom (looking at the usb port) It doesnt look like it's very thick. So I dont know how strong it would be. I'd love to see a break down of it tho.
    01-08-15 12:41 AM
    Why does the desktop forum attachment feature suck so hard?
    I can't see a damn thing using a computer.
    01-08-15 12:49 AM
    Why does the desktop forum attachment feature suck so hard?
    I can't see a damn thing using a computer.
    If it makes you feel any better, I can't see anything on the CB app either

Continuous Steel Frame? ATT Passport-img_20150108_005053.png
    01-08-15 12:51 AM
    Continuous Steel Frame? ATT Passport-img_20150108_150025.png

Posted via CB10
    pinkvikchick likes this.
    01-08-15 01:02 AM
    It looks the same as on the Q10 as there are marks on either side of the frame showing that the frame is not one continuous piece. The bottom piece is connected to the upper piece. Take the example of the Q10, the bottom piece is plastic. That would weaken the frame a bit. But we need to see inside because the frame may go inside as well.

Posted from my Passport
    01-08-15 04:01 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150108_150025.png 
Views:	4326 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	325992

Posted via CB10
    That's strange...I tried both the light and dark themes in the app, and I can't see the attachments either. Perhaps it's device-specific?

Edit: the browser is showing them as invalid attachments. Perhaps it is not device-specific...

Posted via BBCB10PP
    01-08-15 05:24 AM
    It looks the same as on the Q10 as there are marks on either side of the frame showing that the frame is not one continuous piece. The bottom piece is connected to the upper piece. Take the example of the Q10, the bottom piece is plastic. That would weaken the frame a bit. But we need to see inside because the frame may go inside as well.

Posted from my Passport
    Very interesting observation. That changes a lot. I wonder why the original didn't need the plastic to make the antenna work. Because the steel frame was non-continuous? I'm not terribly aware of best practice antenna design. But I do remember the iPhone 4 antenna design.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 06:18 AM
    Very interesting observation. That changes a lot. I wonder why the original didn't need the plastic to make the antenna work. Because the steel frame was non-continuous? I'm not terribly aware of best practice antenna design. But I do remember the iPhone 4 antenna design.

Posted via CB10
    The current Classic also uses plastic for the bottom part of the frame around the phone. It is even visible on some good quality pictures of the phone, especially because BlackBerry couldn't match the two silver color tones as good as they managed to match the black tone on the Q10. Taking a look at the white Q10 also reveals a slightly visible difference in tones with the bottom part of the frame.

In addition have a look at renders of the Passport, revealing it's internal construction: The steelframe looks like it is a single, massive piece, it runs around behind/below the USB port.

Posted via CB10

EDIT: You can even spot the two part frame for the AT&T Passport on the very first picture of the CrackBerry hands-on gallery. If you look close enough, you'll also notice the same on the Classic which is right beside the rounded Passport.
    Last edited by Taigatrommel; 01-08-15 at 07:48 AM.
    01-08-15 07:35 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150108_150025.png 
Views:	4326 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	325992

Posted via CB10
    Lol Usman using chakra to view the attached photos! Haha

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.1949
    nah.uhh likes this.
    01-08-15 07:43 AM

Posted from my Passport
    The Q10 phones have a one piece steel outer band. I have fixed a couple screen and the band around the phone is one piece.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 07:53 AM
    The Q10 phones have a one piece steel outer band. I have fixed a couple screen and the band around the phone is one piece.

Posted via CB10
    Are you absolutely sure about that? I can spot a tiny gap on both sides of my black Q10, also the upper side feels a bit colder than the lower. On the white Q10, you can even scrap off the silver paint from that lower part, revealing white plastic underneath. There was a topic about it from maaaany months ago on the Q10 forums.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 07:57 AM
    Watch the Passport design story video on YouTube. The frame needs to be broken if it is going to work as the RF antenna. The frame on the AT&T variant, as well as the classic and Q10 are not a one piece either. The bottom of the frame is separate from the top of the frame, leaving a division line on both sides. I like that the original Passport broke the frame at the USB because the bands at the side of the device flow continuously with no line.

Passported to you with a touch enabled keyboard!
    01-08-15 08:26 AM
    Are you absolutely sure about that? I can spot a tiny gap on both sides of my black Q10, also the upper side feels a bit colder than the lower. On the white Q10, you can even scrap off the silver paint from that lower part, revealing white plastic underneath. There was a topic about it from maaaany months ago on the Q10 forums.

Posted via CB10
    I just looked at a Q10 I have here and can't say for sure if it is a one piece frame without taking it apart. I had a Q10 all the way apart to replace this ring with a red one a while back and both the new and old rings were one piece, though the red one seemed to be made out of a composite rather than metal. It is possible there is a glued joint where we see the lines on the Q10 and the bottom may be a plated plastic piece.
    01-08-15 10:48 AM
    Watch the Passport design story video on YouTube. The frame needs to be broken if it is going to work as the RF antenna. The frame on the AT&T variant, as well as the classic and Q10 are not a one piece either. The bottom of the frame is separate from the top of the frame, leaving a division line on both sides. I like that the original Passport broke the frame at the USB because the bands at the side of the device flow continuously with no line.

Passported to you with a touch enabled keyboard!
    Ahh this is the answer I was looking for. So I'm curious about the Q10 design, now. It used the plastic chin-section of the band (plastic) as the antenna, right? Does this mean that the metal band on the Classic and ATT passport is only structural or aesthetic? Not a part of the antenna as the Passport's is?

Very interesting stuff. I'll be looking forward to a complete disassembly of the new Passport, but in the meantime, maybe we can glean some information from the Classic's internal design. Any experts?

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 12:02 PM
    I think the metal bands in blackberry devices are there for not only structural reinforcement, which I'm sure helps a lot, but to also make them stand out in a sea of android plastic. Expensive plastic.
    01-09-15 02:18 AM
    Continuous Steel Frame? ATT Passport-att-passport-hands-bottom.jpgContinuous Steel Frame? ATT Passport-att-passport-hands-angle-hero.jpeg
    howarmat likes this.
    01-09-15 11:31 AM
    I imagine just rounding the corners off makes the Passport less prone to damage from a drop...

I just wonder how much they have to pay Apple ... Apple?s new patent on rounded corners isn?t even the world?s most absurd patent ? Quartz
    01-09-15 12:24 PM
    Trust me I have taken two square Passports apart. The stainless steel frame is one continuous frame and very sturdy.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 12:41 PM
    Continuous Steel Frame? ATT Passport-att-passport-compare-bottom.jpg
    Continuous Steel Frame? ATT Passport-att-passport-compare-buttons.jpg
    Continuous Steel Frame? ATT Passport-att-passport-compare-sides.jpg
    Continuous Steel Frame? ATT Passport-att-passport-compare-top.jpg
    Continuous Steel Frame? ATT Passport-passport-teardown-1_0.jpg
    lang007 likes this.
    01-09-15 02:31 PM
    Tell us Bla1ze what to you think of the AT&T Passport
    01-09-15 02:49 PM
    Tell us Bla1ze what to you think of the AT&T Passport
    I prefer the original. But maybe that's just because I have a red one lol.
    01-09-15 07:29 PM
32 12