Hey everyone,

I have been a very long time CB reader, and a very long time BBRY user. I started at the time when Blackberry was a pager, and upgraded it to a bigger monochrome screen...At that time Blackberry was a very niche market and sending PINs was all the rage (we used to called it RIMMING, from RIM lol) I still remember how cool it was when you could access internet on your phone, and introduction of Bluetooth on 7290...

Anyways, I am definetly a Blackberry customer and although have tried different platforms, none of them can come close to the efficiency and effectivness of BBRY. It is just too bad that too few people know about it... Anyways...

When BB10 rolled out I dropped my 9900 for a Z10, and the learning curve was quite big. I had many doubts that I would be able to convert from keyboard to glass typing but I did and I quite liked it. I have then upgraded to Z30 because it was a bit bigger, and loved it even more. We all know that BBRY makes best keyboards in business, whether they are glass or physical.
    I have seen many people talk about it, but I have a question for a very specific goup of people and would love to hear about their experience in moving from Z30 to PP.

I really like PP, but I have fears about the width of the keyboard, thumb travel and small space bar.
    I know that most owners LOVE their PP, but I would like to hear some objective comments on this.
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    02-03-15 03:51 PM
    All I can say is don't wait. Just jump aboard!

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    02-03-15 04:20 PM
    Well I came from a z30 to the Passport as I missed the physical keyboard. Before the z30 I had the z10 so 2 yrs I was using a touchscreen keyboard and I couldn't type as fast as I was on the 9900.

Yes it took me about a week or so to get used to the Passport's weird form factor and 3 row keyboard but after a week I was flying with the keyboard. It's wide and I haven't got large hands so it took me some time getting used to the width but there is no way I would ever EVER go back to a touchscreen now. Sure the Passport isn't great for playing games or even watching videos but then again I use the Passport for work related stuff like phone calls and messaging.

If you really are unsure of jumping to the Passport then if it is possible, try one out in a store and see how u get on with it. That's what I done before making up my mind to get one, spent a hr or so getting used to the Passport and I fell in love it and still love it to this day.

Personally I don't regret dumping the z30 for the Passport, best choice I've made.

Posted via CB10
    olikoli likes this.
    02-03-15 04:21 PM
    Take the plunge! You will never regret it there will be a minor learning curve with the keyboard but there are tons of threads and youtube video's for assistance. Trust me you will never put it down once you get it!

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 06:14 PM
    I had similar experience, went from legacy devices (I was a big fan and longtime user of the Torch 9800) before jumping onto BB10 and converting to the touch screen and virtual keyboard, but like you and most others, I was easily converted and loved the way the virtual keyboard functioned.

I'm not going to lie, and I'm sure that it's different for everyone, but the Passport's keyboard was really the biggest learning curve for me - more than any other phone. But honestly, it was so worth it and I can say that this is the most enjoyable (and most accurate) typing experience I've ever had on a mobile device. I'd say it took closer to 3 weeks for me to actually feel comfortable and fast on the keyboard. And then to remember where all of the symbols are mapped to, even longer. But, as I said, it was well worth the effort.

I think that the Passport is actually meant directly for people who are coming from touch screen devices even more than ones who have only ever used physical keyboards. With its gestures (swiping to delete is awesome, same with swiping down on the keys instead of the 'alt' key), it is a true hybrid of the physical and virtual - the best of both worlds! It still makes me smile sometimes how awesome it is and I've had mine since the beginning of October. If going to the Z30 was better for you because it was bigger than the Z10, go for this device. It's like carrying around a mini-laptop that fits in your hand! You will love it. It will definitely bring you back to the feeling that a BlackBerry is truly a cool and unique thing to own.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    olikoli likes this.
    02-03-15 06:29 PM
    Take the plunge, I myself came from a z30 too. Keyboard took me a couple days to get used to, now I'm flying with it. The only thing I miss from z30 and previous BlackBerry devices is one hand typing, I can seem to 1 hand type with the passport. I have big hands and still it's just too hard for me. Other then that it's one hell of a device!!

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    olikoli likes this.
    02-03-15 06:39 PM
    I too went thru the Z10, then the Z30, and now using the passport. Typing accuracy is at least three fold than on Z30. If you like small screens, stick with the Z10. But the larger screen of the passport is of real, utilitarian value.

My honey has a Z30. Each time I help her with something on her phone, I feel like the phone is a dinosaur.

Posted via CB10
    olikoli likes this.
    02-03-15 06:57 PM
    I have both.

The smaller spacebar and wide keyboard at first seemed weird to look at and use.

But after a couple weeks, it was like I had never used any other type of keyboard. Using the Z30 and flicking words also got me ready to flick words on the Passport, and I use this feature even more than I use it on my Z30 for some reason.

The keyboard will feel natural after a bit, and you really won't be sorry.
    olikoli likes this.
    02-03-15 07:03 PM
    Passport is the best

Jump on board to the passport, you will love it

Far better compared to my old z30
    02-03-15 07:35 PM
    Thanks for your reply guys!!
    Well, I have to say that everyone sound really encouraging.
    I just went to the store and played with their demo for a bit. I have to say that I loved it, but am still a little hesitant. Not because of anything else other than the simple fear that the unit will be uncomfortable for a long usage. It is difficult to get a real feel of the unit with all the security attached to it.
    I have also compared it to z30 side by side and the size difference is not very big.
    Does anyone finds it too large to carry around? Anyone got tired of the size?
    02-03-15 08:47 PM
    I came from the 30. I don't miss it all all. This phone is the best phone I have ever owwned!!

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    02-03-15 10:38 PM
    I started with a LE Z10, then moved to a Z30, and now a Passport. I have never used a physical keyboard for my personal device ever (I have always had touch screen phones with a keyboard phone for work). I don't think I would have switched to the Passport without the touch sensitive keyboard. The combination of onscreen symbols and the 3 row keyboard actually works fantastic in my opinion. I don't need to worry about pressing the alt key or the upper case key and just use the on screen symbols and numbers. The keyboard is a bit harder to type one handed, but i'm getting pretty fast with two handed typing (plus auto correct). The feel of the physical keyboard is great, and because there's no soft keyboard, you get the full screen viewing experience. Using the keyboard to scroll through webpages and documents are great.

I really liked my Z30, but don't really miss it after using the passport (which shows the passport is THAT much better). If you don't mind the bigger size, you won't regret it.
    olikoli likes this.
    02-03-15 11:38 PM
    It fits perfectly in my hands, and mine aren't too big. I hold it like I would hold my Gameboy back in the day, with the bottom corners slightly "digging into" my palms, though even without my case, this still is perfectly comfortable for long periods of use and I'd even say that the corners help the phone stay planted in my hands as my pointer fingers hold it on either side.

It is definitely a two-handed phone though, I almost never use it with one hand like I do my Z30. I also rarely put my Passport away, though it does fit fine in my back pocket of my jeans... I have always been one of those people who has their BlackBerry in their hand for some reason.

It is a very different device than the Z30, and though I do have both, I would pick the Passport in a heartbeat if I had to pick just one to use.

Posted via CB10
    olikoli likes this.
    02-04-15 01:33 AM
    I went 9000->9700->9900->Z10->Z30->Passport
    So, I've had extensive experience with physical keys, I managed quite well on the Z10 and even better on the Z30, but now I'm happy with the Passport.

What I like about the PP over the Z30:
    • screen real estate in browsing, messaging and documents. 1:1 aspect ratio is fantastic
    • screen brightness in full daylight: not a problem
    • physical keys: tactile feedback still is best and the most accurate way. Speed is not higher, all combined, but confidence is. It took me up to two weeks to get used to it, though. Kept missing the space bar, and I had this weird tendency to hit 'Z' where I would expect an ALT button. Thats over now.
    • Battery life is even better Z30
    • Speed is even higher than Z30
    • 10.3.0.x is better than 10.2.1.x (but that is in your own hands, as you can load a leaked 10.3.x on a Z30 no sweat)

What I miss from my Z30
    • movie watching in landscape
    • AMOLED screen at night, in nightstand mode (PP will have some lighting, whereas the Z30 was pitch black with orange glow clock face which is the second most sexy thing I've ever had within arm's reach when in bed)
    • wordflicking above the letters instead of over the top bar of the keys; gives you more options and was a bit quicker / more intuitive for me

All things considered: absolutely love the PP over the Z30. The Z30's great, and PP is even better. Go get it!
    greatwiseone and olikoli like this.
    02-04-15 04:54 AM
    I personally went from a Blackberry torch 9800 to a Passport. Im not someone who has the money to just get a new phone whenever I want, so the Passport was a big investment for me. I absolutley love it! The things I hate about it are more bb10 related (expected since I came from os6) rather than the phone. Whenever I use my mums iphone 5s or my old torch im like why is this so skinny, someone needs to feed this phone! After the inital learning curve with the keyboard, you will love it and appreciate it so much. The space position these days makes so much sense and works so well, im happy and i dont need a v2 with an extra row. If you buy the phone you will have 14 days to use it before returning it so you should get a good feel of the phone. If you like the Z30 than I can see you liking the passport. Oh and the speakers are so loud that they beat the HTC m8
    02-04-15 05:13 AM
    Less apps than z30 but rest is great.

Posted via Passport.
    02-04-15 06:43 AM
    A fair definition would be: a very addictive device. When I opened the box for the first time, I took the Passport in my hands and thought.. Jesus this is big.. few hours later I picked up my old Q10 and thought.. Jesus this device is ridiculous!

I'm 4 months in now, that's it. The Passport is the best BlackBerry ever made (my opinion).

Buy it, see for yourself, and come back to this thread to tell us what you think!

Posted via CB10
    olikoli likes this.
    02-04-15 06:57 AM
    I used the 30 before my Passport. At first I had doubts because I loved the Z30 so much, and I believe that I can type much faster on the VKB. But the move to Passport didn't disappoint me. The battery life is better than the Z30, and the processor is much faster. It can load apps faster. The keyboard is not a gimmick feature, but is actually very useful. The touch scrolling and double tapping to make the cursor appear is very useful, and I don't think I can find better BlackBerry at this moment.
    olikoli likes this.
    02-04-15 07:03 AM
    I moved from a Z30 to a PP. I had the same hesitation because I loved the keyboard of the Z30. However, the PP is much faster, more fluid, better screen, battery life and I think even a better keyboard (this is the physical keyboard versus touch screen keyboard debate).

I think you will love it but give it a good week or so to get used to it. After few days I actually thought I made a mistake by leaving the Z30; but after a week it was a different story!

Posted via CB10
    olikoli likes this.
    02-04-15 07:38 AM
    We've forgotten to point out the superb battery. Depending on the apps you are running, you certainly can easily run almost two days. If you are running Sygic, or another GPS program all day, then yes, you may need to charge it toward the end of the day.

Then there is the turn over the phone to stop the phone from ringing and many more things that the Z30 doesn't presently do.

We are not looking for affirmation of the purchasing decision we made. We are just having a blast with all the things you can do with the phone.

Posted via CB10
    olikoli likes this.
    02-04-15 08:32 PM
    Get it! You won't regret it at all.

Posted via J's Blackberry Passport
    02-04-15 08:46 PM
    I love the build quality and feel of the Z30 and it's a huge improvement from the Z10 but the Passport takes that to the next level with it's improved specs and build quality.

I've had my Passport for a few weeks now while I love the screen size and resolution I miss the AMOLED screen from the Z30. I could keep it on minimum brightness and everything would still be vivid but on the Passport you can barely see anything on the screen if you lower it below 25% or so. I miss the dark theme in settings/device monitor/phone/etc.

Also I'm not sold on the physical keyboard. I'm still not comfortable with it like I was the Z30's keyboard and wish a keyboard-less Passport was available in the same form-factor with a slightly taller screen.

I think you should get the Passport and will be happy with it as the improved specs and build quality alone are worth it but there is room for improvement.
    olikoli likes this.
    02-04-15 10:30 PM
    This is really great. Lots of people obviously love the PP, and it is a great device.
    I am running 10.3 on my Z30 so I am familiar with many features that pp has. I would love to hear if anyone actually has second thoughts about it after moving away from Z30?
    I guess my biggest doubt is the form factor.
    Just trying to hear as much as possible before I pull the trigger.
    I do think that I will get it tho, I am just covering all the angles...
    02-04-15 11:53 PM
    Less apps than z30 but rest is great.

Posted via Passport.
    Why do you say less apps? I thought they both run android well...
    02-05-15 12:06 AM
    To the OP, do it. You won't regret it. It will take a couple weeks until you are truly comfortable with it, but you won't look back after that. My Z30 has been collecting dust since. No urge to even power it back on to play with it one bit. Not that the Z30 is bad, it's a great phone, it's just that the PP is that good of a phone. Best I've had so far.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 12:59 AM
27 12