Getting a passport now is just a ridiculous notion..it's slow and it's a dead OS..
    Spending about $70 on one isn't too bad, for those who just want to experience it a little.

However, if one is one a limited budget of $100 or below, then of course they should go for a Silver KEYone instead
    07-30-19 07:49 PM
    Getting a passport now is just a ridiculous notion..it's slow and it's a dead OS..
    To each their own.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-19 08:02 PM
    For me it was love at first sight. So much so that I ended up having 2 Passports. First the OG and later the SE. Find one at a fair price and you won't regret it.
    The fair price now is somewhere between $50-$100 USD depending on OG model or SE model.

The big risk isn’t even BB10 EOL anymore. That’s been factored into pricing and BB10 should retain some usability for near future. It’s the overheating and emergency calls WiFi only risk.
    07-31-19 08:38 AM
    The fair price now is somewhere between $50-$100 USD depending on OG model or SE model.

The big risk isn’t even BB10 EOL anymore. That’s been factored into pricing and BB10 should retain some usability for near future. It’s the overheating and emergency calls WiFi only risk.
    Have there been reports of this happening with the SE specifically?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-19 04:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Would be really interesting to get some hard facts about this issue. We know it exists but on how many devices (what percentage of all) and on which? There's a lot of warnings without any facts presented... and I don't take threads discussing this as measuring the frequency of this error.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    07-31-19 05:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don’t know if ever broken down by device version. I would expect it’s affected each of three varieties, OG, AT&T or SE, as I doubt any changes were ever made.
    @Shuswap Opinion either way?
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 07-31-19 at 05:22 PM.
    07-31-19 05:11 PM
    Would be really interesting to get some hard facts about this issue. We know it exists but on how many devices (what percentage of all) and on which? There's a lot of warnings without any facts presented... and I don't take threads discussing this as measuring the frequency of this error.

Posted via CB10
    At this point, my comment is that most people are selling their old Passports anymore. With that being case, the chances of less dependable, ie broken, hardware being offered increases. Again, it’s not about the Passport as whole but more wolves eating sheep. If you ever see me offer a device for sale, that’s a red flag....
    @Shuswap any input?
    07-31-19 05:16 PM
    At this point, my comment is that most people are selling their old Passports anymore. With that being case, the chances of less dependable, ie broken, hardware being offered increases. Again, it’s not about the Passport as whole but more wolves eating sheep. If you ever see me offer a device for sale, that’s a red flag....
    Unfortunately this doesn't answer the question. It is a known error and one could likewise turn what you say around and claim that the remaining Passports are the best. But where is the facts, how "worried" should a buyer be?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-19 05:27 PM
    I don’t know if ever broken down by device version. I would expect it’s affected each of three varieties, OG, AT&T or SE, as I doubt any changes were ever made.
    @Shuswap Opinion either way?
    Hey Chuck, sorry for the slow reply. I'm renovating and had an electrical inspection this afternoon.

With respect to the question, I'm not sure. I've seen reports of the problem and have my own theory about the cause: when you run certain Android apps, the device *really* heats up on the top right corner. I suspect that's the cause of the cellular failure, but it's just a theory. I stopped running any app that caused the heating and I've never experienced the cellular radio failure, but those are just two facts. They may or may not be related.

I don't think any version of the Passport is immune to the problem, but there are other people around here who seem to know more about it. There's also a reddit user (u/nearlyv) who seems to have some knowledge of the issue.
    07-31-19 06:51 PM
    Hey Chuck, sorry for the slow reply. I'm renovating and had an electrical inspection this afternoon.

With respect to the question, I'm not sure. I've seen reports of the problem and have my own theory about the cause: when you run certain Android apps, the device *really* heats up on the top right corner. I suspect that's the cause of the cellular failure, but it's just a theory. I stopped running any app that caused the heating and I've never experienced the cellular radio failure, but those are just two facts. They may or may not be related.

I don't think any version of the Passport is immune to the problem, but there are other people around here who seem to know more about it. There's also a reddit user (u/nearlyv) who seems to have some knowledge of the issue.
    Hey Shuswap !!! Thanks for the reply and hope the inspection went ok.
    07-31-19 07:48 PM
    Hey Shuswap !!! Thanks for the reply and hope the inspection went ok.
    No problem. The inspection went without a hitch. I've almost re-wired the entire house and the inspector is a very helpful man. I hope he doesn't retire before I'm done!
    07-31-19 09:06 PM
    I've seen reports of the problem and have my own theory about the cause: when you run certain Android apps, the device *really* heats up on the top right corner. I suspect that's the cause of the cellular failure, but it's just a theory
    I agree totally with this. Heat may eventually cause microfractures in a poor solder/design problem within the radio component/mainboard connection. On and off functioning occurs which accounts for why signals come and go etc etc. Playing power intensive games and overheating with apps that require constant internet connections probably contribute imo. No wonder my Passport operates so well to this very day - I don't run anything that creates those temps and on the odd occasion that my device did feel torchy, I uninstalled the app pretty much immediately.
    08-01-19 12:08 AM

When I was away on work travel and switching to different wifi's in hotels and airports, I had to do a restart as I was unable to open any apps on the passport. Not the phone app, settings, camera, messaging - nothing. After restart, I could connect to the WiFi and use the phone again.

Not sure if anyone experienced this?

Posted via CB10
    08-13-19 02:53 AM
    I agree totally with this. Heat may eventually cause microfractures in a poor solder/design problem within the radio component/mainboard connection. On and off functioning occurs which accounts for why signals come and go etc etc. Playing power intensive games and overheating with apps that require constant internet connections probably contribute imo. No wonder my Passport operates so well to this very day - I don't run anything that creates those temps and on the odd occasion that my device did feel torchy, I uninstalled the app pretty much immediately.
    I suspect it's still a very tiny number of devices overall.. Sure I've probable see 20 or 30 people with the issue, but that's not proportionally significant.

OP stated he just wanted something to play with... I don't see any concern with his getting a Passport at all.

It the users that need a primary device and where even $100 is a lot of money for them... and they need a device for running today's apps, that I would not suggest a Passport.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    08-13-19 10:33 AM
    How do you gents check battery temp? I have looked under device monitor, but can't seem to find it. Thanks,
    08-13-19 12:19 PM
    How do you gents check battery temp? I have looked under device monitor, but can't seem to find it. Thanks,
    I use Battery Pal from BBW.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-19 04:02 PM
    Thank you. Will give it a try.

Posted with my Passport
    08-13-19 04:07 PM
    App works well. It's reading 39 C• when under load and 33 C• at rest. Is this normal? Hopefully new battery will help a bit.

Posted with my Passport
    08-13-19 04:38 PM
    I use Battery Pal from BBW.

Posted via CB10
    Hey that is a cool app for battery temperature... no pun intended.... Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    08-13-19 10:24 PM
    Hey that is a cool app for battery temperature... no pun intended.... Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    Haha, yes! @Crusader03 don't know what's normal. My Passport is around 28 C now when using it for light tasks ;reading News, CB10 etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-19 10:34 PM
    33 C• at rest
    Mine is at 26 c at rest - just checked.
    08-13-19 10:54 PM
    My Q10 is at 31 degrees Celsius in this sweltering hot house for reference and my Q5 was at 29.

Posted via CB10
    mikael11 likes this.
    08-13-19 11:29 PM
    If the form factor and the bb10 limitations is not a problem for you don't hesitate and get a passport. Still using it and not complaints.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-19 06:33 AM
    I just got a BlackBerry Passport for free a few days ago. Here's what I think about it! One of my colleague gave it to me, the screen was broken. I ordered a new screen, a new battery and a new keyboard and it's working really well. For a total cost of 50$CAD! Installing the new parts was not that difficult. Only removing the battery was a little harder. It was glued very well!

My only bb10 experience was a brief trial of a Q10 that I gave to my father a few years ago.
    I currently have a Priv but I wanted a backup phone and I thought I should give a try to the Passport.

Globally I like it, although the size is quite unusual! I'm not sure I like the keyboard that much, I find it way harder to use compared to my Priv or my dad's Q10. It's too wide to be used properly in my opinion.

The screen is good and easy to use, but the square aspect ratio doesn't work well for videos. It's not a small screen but watching a movie in widescreen or a TV show in 16x9 is hard. Older 4x3 TV shows are fine!

In terms of apps, the bb world offers basic apps, so if you only need the passport for calling and texting you'll do fine. If you needed lots of apps, it's not the device for you! You can sideload android apps via F-droid or Yalp. It'll work ok with older apps since bb10 only supports android 4.3 and older. So it's becoming harder and harder to find apps, but here's a few apps I installed. You can download VLC for movies and music. (VLC performs well enough to play x265 videos without lags). You can use Netflix app for you streaming. Newpipe legacy works well for youtube viewing and downloading. Fenec for F-droid is a firefox remix and works quite beautifully for your Web browsing. I've also tried Kiwi Browser and it's fine but heavier on the battery. You can also use whatsapp and telegram for messaging.

I had a hard time finding a good GPS app but it can be done. For the other tasks like sms, email, file manager, spreadsheets and writer, calculator, notes you can use the native BB10 apps. They all work well! I also found a good podcast manager in bbworld. (bpod)

I don't play games so I can't tell if it's working but I would guess the android emulation must be harder with games.

So yes, the passport can be used in 2019, but it's not for everybody. It will require some configuration and time for it to work like you want but it can be done. That being said it will probably be harder to use it as a real smart phone in the near future since the BB support will be dropped and the android apps will become obsolete. If you buy one, buy it cheap! Basically expect it to become a dumb phone in the near future!

I would only recommend it for the hardcore bb10 fans, curious folks like me and nostalgic folks.

I hope this helps
    Ps. It's my first post on CB, and I wrote it on my BlackBerry Passport!

Posted via CB10
    08-15-19 09:14 PM
    I just got a BlackBerry Passport for free a few days ago. Here's what I think about it! One of my colleague gave it to me, the screen was broken. I ordered a new screen, a new battery and a new keyboard and it's working really well. For a total cost of 50$CAD! Installing the new parts was not that difficult. Only removing the battery was a little harder. It was glued very well!

My only bb10 experience was a brief trial of a Q10 that I gave to my father a few years ago.
    I currently have a Priv but I wanted a backup phone and I thought I should give a try to the Passport.

Globally I like it, although the size is quite unusual! I'm not sure I like the keyboard that much, I find it way harder to use compared to my Priv or my dad's Q10. It's too wide to be used properly in my opinion.

The screen is good and easy to use, but the square aspect ratio doesn't work well for videos. It's not a small screen but watching a movie in widescreen or a TV show in 16x9 is hard. Older 4x3 TV shows are fine!

In terms of apps, the bb world offers basic apps, so if you only need the passport for calling and texting you'll do fine. If you needed lots of apps, it's not the device for you! You can sideload android apps via F-droid or Yalp. It'll work ok with older apps since bb10 only supports android 4.3 and older. So it's becoming harder and harder to find apps, but here's a few apps I installed. You can download VLC for movies and music. (VLC performs well enough to play x265 videos without lags). You can use Netflix app for you streaming. Newpipe legacy works well for youtube viewing and downloading. Fenec for F-droid is a firefox remix and works quite beautifully for your Web browsing. I've also tried Kiwi Browser and it's fine but heavier on the battery. You can also use whatsapp and telegram for messaging.

I had a hard time finding a good GPS app but it can be done. For the other tasks like sms, email, file manager, spreadsheets and writer, calculator, notes you can use the native BB10 apps. They all work well! I also found a good podcast manager in bbworld. (bpod)

I don't play games so I can't tell if it's working but I would guess the android emulation must be harder with games.

So yes, the passport can be used in 2019, but it's not for everybody. It will require some configuration and time for it to work like you want but it can be done. That being said it will probably be harder to use it as a real smart phone in the near future since the BB support will be dropped and the android apps will become obsolete. If you buy one, buy it cheap! Basically expect it to become a dumb phone in the near future!

I would only recommend it for the hardcore bb10 fans, curious folks like me and nostalgic folks.

I hope this helps
    Ps. It's my first post on CB, and I wrote it on my BlackBerry Passport!

Posted via CB10
    Welcome to CrackBerry... hope to see you often..
    08-15-19 11:16 PM
147 1234 ...