11-05-16 02:38 AM
42 12
tools
    Hi,

I bought my passport on 10/21/16 and I love it in many ways. But the lack of apps has made this thing pretty useless beyond emailing and texting. I do enjoy the large screen, the keyboard and the simplicity of bbhub. But honestly, I didn't do my research and bought this device because I didn't want to pay ~$600+ for a new phone. My biggest complaint is about the lack of a few apps that I have come to fully depend upon such as:
    banking (multiple)
    Uber & Lyft
    Viber
    Whatsapp (no support as of 12/31)
    Expedia
    Airline apps
    Amex

I'm sure there are ways around it, but again these are not the obvious ways.

Overall it's a great phone with a great screen and wonderful keyboard. Just be aware that you'll be thrown back to year 2009.
    As a passport owner who loves it, I agree with this post
    11-01-16 01:01 AM
    Go for it!
    The Passport is a great device, a bit large for my taste to be carried around but lovely and fast for reading and surfing the web.
    Specifically useful as a desctop device coupled with a BT keyboard and mouse for editing as micro tablet replacement.
    Attachment 410860

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    Honestly, I find that to be a counter-productive use for a PKB device. Especially a powerhouse like the Passport.

A Z10 or Z30 hooked to a monitor or tv with a keyboard and mouse is ideal for BB10 desktop mode.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-16 01:18 AM
    I own a passport and i am getting a used passport phone as my 2nd phone. As i used Android apps, battery draining faster but don't mind as this is still my favorite phone.

As for apps, i am ok to use Whatsapp until end December. There are quite a few message apps such as BBM, weChat and telegram. i may roll back to text messages too.

As for BB10 apps, they are much more useful in term of productivity together with physical keyboard. It is very good for reading articles and ebooks.
    11-01-16 01:55 AM
    Honestly, I find that to be a counter-productive use for a PKB device. Especially a powerhouse like the Passport.

A Z10 or Z30 hooked to a monitor or tv with a keyboard and mouse is ideal for BB10 desktop mode.
    Posted via CB10
    Yep did that before with a HDMI adapter on a desktop monitor and works nice, but the bulky size of an TV or monitor is no good for on the move, the Passport solution looks much smarter to me. (by the way I don't own a TV set anyway)
    Considering to buy a passport-passport-wd-1tb.jpg and specially if hooked up with external HD, who need an office anymore?

Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 11-01-16 at 05:25 AM.
    11-01-16 03:42 AM
    I can I put signature on my text messages with my new passport
    11-01-16 07:56 PM
    Yep did that before with a HDMI adapter on a desktop monitor and works nice, but the bulky size of an TV or monitor is no good for on the move, the Passport solution looks much smarter to me. (by the way I don't own a TV set anyway)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passport-WD-1TB.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	411074 and specially if hooked up with external HD, who need an office anymore?

What is that device and what is it for?? I'm intrigued!!

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876 
    11-02-16 09:28 PM
    Hi,

I bought my passport on 10/21/16 and I love it in many ways. But the lack of apps has made this thing pretty useless beyond emailing and texting. I do enjoy the large screen, the keyboard and the simplicity of bbhub. But honestly, I didn't do my research and bought this device because I didn't want to pay ~$600+ for a new phone. My biggest complaint is about the lack of a few apps that I have come to fully depend upon such as:
    banking (multiple)
    Uber & Lyft
    Viber
    Whatsapp (no support as of 12/31)
    Expedia
    Airline apps
    Amex

I'm sure there are ways around it, but again these are not the obvious ways.
    Uber works using Cobalt's tools, not totally sure about the others. What do Expedia and airline apps really do that make them such a necessity? Has anyone tried patching those and running them?

Posted via CB10
    Btop likes this.
    11-02-16 10:33 PM
    What is that device and what is it for?? I'm intrigued!!

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876 
    Western digital 1TB hard disc model "my Passport ultra" as written on the label of the device.
    2TB and more are available but 1TB does the job too call it a mobile pocket data storage or pocket office if used with the BlackBerry Passport and a short USB-3-adapter cable to make use of such devices, no extra power cable is needed to read and write big volume of data, just works like a USB stick only much bigger.
    This little WD HD contains everything and all date not needed on the Passport all the time, that's why external HDs are so useful ;-)
    By the way the area of laptops, big tables are a thing of the past this days, small powerful devices like the Classic and Passport is all you need this days combined with the right accessories.
    Yeah specially if the names match too :-)
    And hey, may you can see the point for the use of Bluetooth mouse and keyboard too, makes work with a Passport so much easier if being used with an external HD as full grown Laptop replacement!
    Yes I do agree that if a big desktop HDMI monitor is available this setup is definitely preferably but will do without as well.

So to put it all together what you would need for a travelling office to make full use of most capabilities of the Passport :
    BlackBerry Passport device for a start
    WD my Passport Ultra 1TB USB3.0 pocket hard drive
    MicroUSB adapter cable supporting USB3
    SlimPort HDMI full HD 1080P adapter
    Inateck Bluetooth keyboard BK1003 ultra-slim
    Logitech ultrathin touch Mouse T630

Just put it like that:
    BlackBerry Classic is a perfect smartphone for all daily needs, the Passport is not exactly useful as smartphone as such because of it's size, as may most believe, the Passport instead is a powerful workstation, much underestimated in public views with a lot of advantages too that makes it so great.

Side note:
    All the mentioned options work perfectly well with the Classic too as tried and tested, all woks well with all the kit but only slower than with the Passport.

Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 11-03-16 at 04:16 AM.
    FahedAlDerbi and Btop like this.
    11-03-16 03:06 AM
    Western digital 1TB hard disc model "my Passport ultra" as written on the label of the device.
    2TB and more are available but 1TB does the job too call it a mobile pocket data storage or pocket office if used with the BlackBerry Passport and a short USB-3-adapter cable to make use of such devices, no extra power cable is needed to read and write big volume of data, just works like a USB stick only much bigger.
    This little WD HD contains everything and all date not needed on the Passport all the time, that's why external HDs are so useful ;-)
    By the way the area of laptops, big tables are a thing of the past this days, small powerful devices like the Classic and Passport is all you need this days combined with the right accessories.
    Yeah specially if the names match too :-)
    And hey, may you can see the point for the use of Bluetooth mouse and keyboard too, makes work with a Passport so much easier if being used with an external HD as full grown Laptop replacement!
    Yes I do agree that if a big desktop HDMI monitor is available this setup is definitely preferably but will do without as well.

So to put it all together what you would need for a travelling office to make full use of most capabilities of the Passport :
    BlackBerry Passport device for a start
    WD my Passport Ultra 1TB USB3.0 pocket hard drive
    MicroUSB adapter cable supporting USB3
    SlimPort HDMI full HD 1080P adapter
    Inateck Bluetooth keyboard BK1003 ultra-slim
    Logitech ultrathin touch Mouse T630

Just put it like that:
    BlackBerry Classic is a perfect smartphone for all daily needs, the Passport is not exactly useful as smartphone as such because of it's size, as may most believe, the Passport instead is a powerful workstation, much underestimated in public views with a lot of advantages too that makes it so great.

Side note:
    All the mentioned options work perfectly well with the Classic too as tried and tested, all woks well with all the kit but only slower than with the Passport.

That looks completely awesome. So if i'm reading this correctly, you essentially used USB to go, connected an enormous hard drive to your Passport, and can plug that up to any monitor and essentially turn it into a laptop?

That. Is. Awesome!
    11-03-16 06:33 AM
    That looks completely awesome. So if i'm reading this correctly, you essentially used USB to go, connected an enormous hard drive to your Passport, and can plug that up to any monitor and essentially turn it into a laptop?

That. Is. Awesome!
    Well yes sort of... but basacly yes!
    Well the Passport only got one USB contact, either using the HD or the SlimPort or you got a small USB-Hub to connect any USB device there and the main cable to the Passport.
    Well this is the case via cable only setup!
    Depending on your HDMI device!
    If that HDMI monitor supporting connection over Wifi-direct or Miracast would be perfect and the HD can be plugged in to the Passport and the content seen on the HDMI screen.

11-03-16 09:25 AM
    This little bit of kit is needed only as nice addition for the Passport to support big data HD with several TB storage size.
    The SlimPort adapter only if the HDMI device does not support Miracast
    Considering to buy a passport-pp-office.jpg

For clarification only, if a WD my Passport Ultra HD is being used!
    Well the Ultra compare to the cheaper Essential model support HD encryption, which can be set via a Win-program that comes with the Ultra, well the Passport can not recognise this encryption method therefore the Ultra need to be set without encryption, or the cheaper WD Essential model is the better choice.
    I tested it out and using the Ultra HD without hardware encryption now without problems.
    Attachment 411218
    Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 11-03-16 at 10:02 AM.
    11-03-16 09:42 AM
    That looks completely awesome.
    Yep tried it out, a HDMI monitor extended with a Netgear Push2TV PTV3000 Miracast adapter to free the microUSB on the Passport without the need of the SlimPort adapter and connect the WD my Passport HD to the USB-to-go to the Passport as usually, the result see the picture, all works great no problems.
    Considering to buy a passport-hdmi-miracast.jpg can start Videos from the HD and watch them on the big screen.

11-03-16 11:55 AM
    Hi sir,

Firstly thanks for your interest in the passport,

I used to run the passport as my daily driver and it seems you more in love with the design and form factor than the actual OS,

Let me tell you that bb10 is outdated and inefficient as all major apps have pulled support and there's no support for it.

You investing in dead wood,

I sold mine and got myself a priv.

You seem like a young guy and you probably going to want to run a lot of things on your device,

So for that I'd say stay away from the passport,

Just too many work arounds and complications,

But if you must... I'd let you know.. It still holds a very warm place in my heart and still stands by as the best phone iv ever owned.

Good luck sir.
    11-03-16 02:09 PM
    i'm in love with the passport design,all the smartphone out there is just same design all over again and again,i'm bored with it
    This is Exactly the reason the Passport caught my eye, now all phone manufactures are just copying and paste their design, so this one really stand out, but I would get the Silver Edition.

I would take into consideration what the guy above me posted in regards to apps being pulled, but that wont be for some time, however in my case I am a very light user and I don't use any apps except GPS and YouTube so I love it.
    11-03-16 09:58 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passport-WD-1TB.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	411074 and specially if hooked up with external HD, who need an office anymore?

This is marvelous... none of the Android smartphones I have owned after the original Passport have not been able to do this with my WD Passport Studio. I guess this is time to go back and buy me a Passport but this time the SE.
    11-04-16 04:25 PM
    FYI, you can get rid of that USB OTG cable with this: https://shop.brando.com/nano-microus...c1840d146.html
    11-04-16 11:04 PM
    Dear OP, If you are fan of PKB and the Hub the Passport is just the right device for you . The app gap on BlackBerry 10 vis a vis IOS or Android is a hindering factor . The battery life on Passport is awesome.
    11-05-16 02:38 AM
42 12