How is the Netgear? Any quirks or issues with it that you've found? I was looking at one, but I didn't want to spend the money unless I knew it worked well with BB10 devices.

I ended up buying one of those cheap Ezcast receivers and it works well enough, but it needs an Android device for the initial setup to switch it into Miracast mode - The Android runtime doesn't play nicely with the Ezcast setup app, which won't detect the receiver unless run on a real Android device. It defaults to DLNA, which works but doesn't seem to be able to be controlled from the phone besides starting and stopping playback. It plays from the beginning, and you can pause and resume playback. That's it. I don't know if this is normal for DLNA devices when linked to the Passport, but for anyone else thinking about one, it's something to consider.

Once you get the thing into Miracast mode, though (And configure it to boot in Miracast mode, which it does not do by default), it actually works quite well, especially for the price. There's a slight delay between the phone's display and the TV, so I wouldn't game on it, but audio and video stay in sync just fine, and for movies and such that's what matters.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:25 PM
    The Netgear PTV3000 works beautifully with both the Passport and the Z30. No discernible lag, stuttering or any other quality issues. I've used it to connect via hdmi to devices from Panasonic, Samsung & Marantz.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:41 PM
    Hi today I try to conect my passport via the adaptor in the picture but nothing happens. Any idea? The cable I try works well on a samsung galaxy 4 the box says mhl to hdmi and had the USB cable for charging the phone at the same time
    Connecting a Passport to a TV-img_20141108_170339.png

Posted via CB 10 app from a glorious BlackBerry Passport
    11-08-14 04:04 PM
    Hi today I try to conect my passport via the adaptor in the picture but nothing happens. Any idea? The cable I try works well on a samsung galaxy 4 the box says mhl to hdmi and had the USB cable for charging the phone at the same time
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141108_170339.png 
Views:	2334 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	313085

Posted via CB 10 app from a glorious BlackBerry Passport

Your problem is that this is MHL to HDMI, you need Slimport to HDMI. MHL and Slimport are 2 different standards.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 04:33 PM
    not whining at all. I have barely used hdmi on my z10....I always use play on or use the phone as a media server.

Considering the lower models have micro hdmi, to now force people to buy an adapter in order to have that functionality seems a bit absurd

from a business standpoint, it is good....just not for the consumer

not saying an adapter should come with it...but a microhdmi port might have been nice for people who ae already used to using it.
    And when Apply completely changes their adapter the world goes silent and let's it pass. The universal standard has become the slimport of course unless you are Apple.

Posted CB10->BB Passport
    11-08-14 08:10 PM
    Hey guys, not sure if this has already been asked or answered, but does chromecast work with the passport?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 08:23 PM
    So, still looking, and still slightly confused.
    Can some one just tell me please the exact adapter (model, #, etc) to make my Passport connect to my hdmi receiver?
    My wife is looking for a stocking stuffer, and we live in a small town and can't go really talk to someone or look in a big box store.
    Thank you.

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    12-16-14 12:31 PM
    Would a Fosman slimport 5 pin micro usb to hdmi cable work fine?

12-16-14 01:53 PM
    I was out of town today checking all the big chain electronic stores and no one had a Slimport.

Last edited by chrispmoto; 01-27-15 at 12:17 AM.
    01-26-15 09:07 PM
    Would a Fosman slimport 5 pin micro usb to hdmi cable work fine?

SlimPort is supposed to be a standard, so all adaptors should work, in theory.

I tried, though, an adaptor from eBay and it was not stable to say the least.

Just make sure that you can return it easily if it doesn't work as expected.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 09:26 PM
    I was out of town today checking all the big chain electronic stores and no one had a Slimport.

Did you try shopblackberry.com? It is probably not the cheapest option, but that way you are guaranteed that it will work. I ordered mine from them and it works fine. If you are using it for video though, keep in mind that using this option results in black side bars (since you will be displaying the square Passport screen on a widescreen TV) and possibly top and bottom black bars (if it is a widescreen video on your Passport).

Posted via CB10
    chrispmoto likes this.
    01-27-15 04:10 AM
    Cables are best bought online shops they are very high mark up on the street.

This works:

VicTsing 6Ft 1.8M Slimport MyDP Micro USB to HDMI 1.4 HDTV Adapter

Not that you have to buy this one

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 03:22 PM
    I don't think connectivity is an issue with the passport however square resolution for video output is one thing that has been grinding my gears...

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if you've figured it out on your own by now, but when you're playing video on the Q10 and Passport, either 'press and Hold' when selecting, then select 'Play On' from the menu, then HDMI; or just press as usual, then press the three dots (bottom-right) then select Play On, then HDMI. Either way, your video output is now in 16:9 aspect ratio and not square.
    01-28-15 09:45 AM
    Miracast: I find it laggy so not ideal for videos and gaming and adapters can cost a fair bit

DLNA: only shows pictures, music and videos it doesn't actually share your screen

Slimport: preferred for me as you will be hardwired, shouldn't have any lag but can still be costly for adapter.

Note: if you using the Slimport for USB you will have to use wireless(miracast) for video

Posted via CB10
    On a Z30 you can use micro hdmi to TV and simultaneously game using USB Gamepads like the xBox 360 and Logitech RumblePad2. I had a Z10 before and was hoping I would have been able to use USB controllers and use slimport to hdmi at the same time and play some fullscreen Retroarch and also wirelessly stream my movies from my PC using the file manager. I read about the issues with needing to use "Play on" just to avoid 1:1 external video playback and I kinda cringed. With my Z10 widescreen video, apps, the browser are all beautiful, wide screen and full screen once the phone is in landscape. So far the passport is inferior to the Z10 and Z30 in those scenarios.

The Z30 does it all. Z10 can't do the USB stuff. I was hoping to be able to use the passport as a mini computer when hooked up to an external widescreen display. So far it has been a failure. The browser is 1:1, games are 1:1, Apps are 1:1, there's no Play On feature for those. Play On also doesn't work for videos streamed from the file manager which is what I used to do to access videos stored on my PC. If only BlackBerry could have implemented external display support like it is on laptops, where the internal and external displays could have independent aspect ratios and resolutions that would be a great help and while they're at it I hope they can find a way to allow Slimport to work as good as the so far superior discrete micro USB OTG and micro HDMI setup they had on the Z30.

I'm skeptical about being able to game using RetroArch using Miracast + USB gamepads since there might be some lag and even if it did work, my display would still be a 1:1 square with thick black bars on either side and not full screen unlike my trusty old Z10 which I now have to keep using when I want to stream videos from my PC.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:17 AM
    Does passport support bluetooh mouse?

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 12:22 PM
    The Netgear PTV3000 works beautifully with both the Passport and the Z30. No discernible lag, stuttering or any other quality issues. I've used it to connect via hdmi to devices from Panasonic, Samsung & Marantz.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Works great!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 12:28 PM
    There is an app in BlackBerry World called Cast for BlackBerry. The developer has put some major work into it. For a while it was not working due to changes Google had made to Chromecast. It works just fine now.

Connecting a Passport to a TV-img_20150128_203357.png

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    01-28-15 08:37 PM
    I need help, I bought a fosman Slimport 5 pin micro USB to hdmi cable for my passport

I connect to passport and tv, the passport connects to the hdmi, but nothing appears on tv, it just sits waiting for a signal

When I unplug hdmi cable from either passport or tv, the connected to hdmi on passport disappears

So, I know there is a connection, I just can't get it to output the signal

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 12:35 PM
    I need help, I bought a fosman Slimport 5 pin micro USB to hdmi cable for my passport

I connect to passport and tv, the passport connects to the hdmi, but nothing appears on tv, it just sits waiting for a signal

When I unplug hdmi cable from either passport or tv, the connected to hdmi on passport disappears

So, I know there is a connection, I just can't get it to output the signal

Posted via CB10

Go to Settings > Display > HDMI > to see if the Passport is outputting a signal that is compatible with your TV. Also, ensure that your TV is on the correct HDMI input.

If that doesn't work, then you want to isolate what is causing the problem by testing various combinations out. Since the problem is either with the TV, the adapter, the phone, or any combination of all three, troubleshoot until you know what the issue is.

For example, if you hook up a different Passport, but use the same adapter and TV and it works, then you know that the issue is with the your Passport (either its settings or its connection port). If you hook up your Passport with the same adapter to a different TV and it works, then the issue is your TV's settings or HDMI input.

Good luck. Hopefully you get it working.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 04:42 AM
    I have tested many Slimport cables and found them to be knock offs. They would flicker and the connections were extremely unstable. Even the ones on Amazon. You need to purchase directly from the manufacturer or BlackBerry. Physical stores like futureshop and bestbuy don't carry slimport adapters.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 10:45 AM
    Go to Settings > Display > HDMI > to see if the Passport is outputting a signal that is compatible with your TV. Also, ensure that your TV is on the correct HDMI input.

If that doesn't work, then you want to isolate what is causing the problem by testing various combinations out. Since the problem is either with the TV, the adapter, the phone, or any combination of all three, troubleshoot until you know what the issue is.

For example, if you hook up a different Passport, but use the same adapter and TV and it works, then you know that the issue is with the your Passport (either its settings or its connection port). If you hook up your Passport with the same adapter to a different TV and it works, then the issue is your TV's settings or HDMI input.

Good luck. Hopefully you get it working.

Posted via CB10
    Hey. Thanks for the tips. I did pretty much all that.

I have the company sending a new one. Then I will report back. I think the procedure is pretty straight forward assuming that the cable functions

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 08:26 AM
    I'm gonna get another PTV3000 today for my Passport. I used to have one on my Z30 and it worked perfectly. My tv doesn't have Miracast built in, so this is my best route.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=ITh-lUgm

P.s. If you get one you have to let the phone search for it for a small time of about 30 seconds before it identifies the Passport. At least that was my experience with the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 10:43 AM
    Blackberry should develop a dedicated media receiver much like Apple TV or Chromecast, BBID dependent so we don't need all these adaptors and cables.
    02-05-15 02:33 PM
    02-09-15 02:05 PM
    As the other posters say a slimport HDMI adaptor works fine, but be prepared for atrocious lack of sync between pictures and sound on video (spectacularly bad with the standard video player, less so with Kalemsoft) accompanied by occasional 5-second black screens. In other words don't base your home cinema on it. Oh and anything other than 60hz display setting is resolved to 60hz anyway and then pulled down by dropping frames so expect judder. Sorry but there it is.
    02-10-15 10:09 AM
52 123