Hey everyone, I have a BlackBerry Passport and first let me say I love it. Already fully used to the keyboard again as a loyal BlackBerry user I have always loved the keyboards. I got a Z10 when they launched and I then loved the virtual keyboard that BlackBerry has on touch screens but coming back to a keyboard on the passport was really weird at first but after a week I was right back into keyboard.

Anyways with my Z10 I would use the micro hdmi port a lot and hook it up to the tv's hdmi port and I could stream netflix of UFC fightpass on the TV from my z10. Anyways with the passport not having an micro hdmi port is there a way to connect it to a TV besides Miracast? Can it be connected through the micro USB port to hdmi? Thx

Posted via CB10
    houstoncheng likes this.
    10-18-14 08:23 PM
    You need to buy a slimport adaptor

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    10-18-14 08:25 PM
    looks like to me you gotta buy an adapter to get hdmi on bb site its 30 bucks

seems kinda steep to me for something that should come with it

were buying a $800 phone and you wanna charge us 30bucks to use hdmi?? wtf
    10-18-14 08:26 PM
    Thanks guys for the reply. I didn't pay for my passport so I don't mind dishing out $30 for an adapter or cable. I will look into it tomorrow. Thank you again. Much appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 08:37 PM
    Miracast, slimport, or DLNA. I've used all three. All work great.

Brought to you by...My sweet Passport
    10-18-14 10:58 PM

Bro go online and stop whining. Nothing like that ever comes with it. You are buying a phone not a home theater system

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    kthhrrsn and BBRYQ10 like this.
    10-18-14 11:24 PM

Understood, but at least the option/solution still exists.
    10-18-14 11:53 PM
    Bro go online and stop whining. Nothing like that ever comes with it. You are buying a phone not a home theater system

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    not whining at all. I have barely used hdmi on my z10....I always use play on or use the phone as a media server.

Considering the lower models have micro hdmi, to now force people to buy an adapter in order to have that functionality seems a bit absurd

from a business standpoint, it is good....just not for the consumer

not saying an adapter should come with it...but a microhdmi port might have been nice for people who ae already used to using it.
    10-19-14 12:11 AM

I sell you a Passport, adapter included.

$850.00

Posted via CB10
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    10-19-14 01:10 AM
    not whining at all. I have barely used hdmi on my z10....I always use play on or use the phone as a media server.

Considering the lower models have micro hdmi, to now force people to buy an adapter in order to have that functionality seems a bit absurd

from a business standpoint, it is good....just not for the consumer

not saying an adapter should come with it...but a microhdmi port might have been nice for people who ae already used to using it.
    I got pi55ed for the same reasons when my TV came with HDMI inputs considering I already had RCA cables. How dare they advance technology on me.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 01:14 AM
    Miracast, slimport, or DLNA. I've used all three. All work great.

So what do you recommend?
    And do I just I just need to buy an adapter?
    I will be plugging mine into an HD receiver.

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    10-19-14 11:38 AM
    I ordered an adapter of amazon and it should be in soon. I'll let you know if it works. It was cheapest one I could find.

patmur2010 via BlackBerry Passport
    10-19-14 11:45 AM
    UFC a love story
    10-19-14 12:57 PM

Miracast: I find it laggy so not ideal for videos and gaming and adapters can cost a fair bit

DLNA: only shows pictures, music and videos it doesn't actually share your screen

Slimport: preferred for me as you will be hardwired, shouldn't have any lag but can still be costly for adapter.

Note: if you using the Slimport for USB you will have to use wireless(miracast) for video

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 01:30 PM

^ this

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 01:31 PM

If your end output device supports dlna that is the easiest. If not, slimport is the least glitch, same as a micro Hdmi. The miracast I have used for presentations but not much video yet. I use the netgear ptv3000.

You will need a slimport adapter, then just plug a regular Hdmi cord into it, not micro, and you're good to go. They are pretty inexpensive on ebay.

Hope that helps.

10-19-14 02:32 PM
    Note: if you using the Slimport for USB you will have to use wireless(miracast) for video

Posted via CB10
    This is incorrect. Using Slimport for USB does not mean you will have to use Miracast for video. Most Slimport adapters have both HDMI and microusb connections. So you plug the adapter into the Passport and then plug the HDMI and micro usb cords into the adapter.

Connecting a Passport to a TV-slimport-1.jpg

Connecting a Passport to a TV-slimport-2.jpg
    10-19-14 10:40 PM
    I don't think connectivity is an issue with the passport however square resolution for video output is one thing that has been grinding my gears...

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 10:46 PM
    I got pi55ed for the same reasons when my TV came with HDMI inputs considering I already had RCA cables. How dare they advance technology on me.

Posted via CB10
    Slim port is not an advancement in technology, it is simply shoving more pins into a common port to get both USB and HDMI from a single port. Personally I don't see the value in it as there is plenty of useable space on these devices for two separate ports, but is what it is unfortunately.

OP, you can also buy cables that simply split the USB and HDMI out for much cheaper. Saw some on Amazon for about $11. You don't need a $30+ black box to split things out since all that is needed is to rout the right connectors to the right ends.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    10-20-14 07:13 AM
    This is incorrect. Using Slimport for USB does not mean you will have to use Miracast for video. Most Slimport adapters have both HDMI and microusb connections. So you plug the adapter into the Passport and then plug the HDMI and micro usb cords into the adapter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slimport 1.jpg 
Views:	1602 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	307582

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slimport 2.jpg 
Views:	1322 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	307583
    If you use the port for USB Host, you can't use the port to hardwire video as well.

The Slimport uses micro USB to connect to phone yes, but if you use port for USB hosting you can't use it for video at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    allsportsfan likes this.
    10-20-14 07:17 AM
    Slim port is not an advancement in technology, it is simply shoving more pins into a common port to get both USB and HDMI from a single port. Personally I don't see the value in it as there is plenty of useable space on these devices for two separate ports, but is what it is unfortunately.

OP, you can also buy cables that simply split the USB and HDMI out for much cheaper. Saw some on Amazon for about $11. You don't need a $30+ black box to split things out since all that is needed is to rout the right connectors to the right ends.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Slimport supports a wide range of outputs: HDMI, VGA, DVIA and DisplayPort vs just HDMI. Comparing single ports I would consider this a step forward compared to HDMI only but others may not.

Like you I would prefer 2 ports one for USB hosting and one for video out. This way we do not have to choose one or the other for hardwiring peripherals to the phone.

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    10-20-14 07:25 AM
    Thank you everyone.
    I am going out of town today and will check the big stores for an adapter.
    I mainly want it for hooking up to my receiver for listening to music, watching the odd video, etc.
    Dont use it much (connected to tv) but want a quality adapter for when I do.
    10-23-14 08:11 AM
    Just got my adapter in and it is flickering and not working properly. It tends to disconnect when I move the screen. This is day one, so I need to do more testing though.

patmur2010 via BlackBerry Passport
    10-30-14 11:58 PM
    I don't recall anyone giving me a micro HDMI to HDMI cable with my Z30 or Z10 and I don't know anyone who got one with their iPhone or Android phone? Ever bought a TV aND had someone try to sell you a $75 Monster HDMI? This is the way the world works now! I had to buy my micro HDMI. And technology always changes to support the future or someone will whine! So on to the future too bad about the past!

Rockin a Passport with my Awesome Z30! Two great devices are better than 1!
    tdf2001 likes this.
    10-31-14 09:22 PM
    I don't recall anyone giving me a micro HDMI to HDMI cable with my Z30 or Z10 and I don't know anyone who got one with their iPhone or Android phone? Ever bought a TV aND had someone try to sell you a $75 Monster HDMI? This is the way the world works now! I had to buy my micro HDMI. And technology always changes to support the future or someone will whine! So on to the future too bad about the past!
    Here in Calgary, I can buy a micro hdmi to hdmi cable for less than $10 at a local computer hear store, Memory Express. Works perfectly with the Z10's & Z30's in the family. No iPhone has ever had a micro hdmi output. They all use an adaptor to connect the Apple-only connector on the phone to hdmi... which I believe costs about $30 at the Apple store on the mall.

Monster cables are a well known ripoff at the big box stores. Kinda like when they ask if you want fries with that at the drive thru window.

For $60, I got the Netgear PTV3000 which is a Miracast adaptor. Our new Passport and our new Z30 can wirelessly stream both their screen display and audio output to my home theatre system or my big screen TV. Works really well. Quite cool.

Posted via CB10
    GeoK likes this.
    11-01-14 10:44 AM
52 123