I just bought a new Sony stereo with a usb port for my car and I wanted to connect my passport to it to hear some music but it says that it's not supported. I tried connecting a Note 4 and it worked because the stereo supports Android devices, so now I'm wondering if it's just a BBOS limitation or something can be done in order to make it work.

I also tried connecting the phone with the usb mass storage mode enabled but it didn't change a thing. Has anyone had experiences of this kind?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 01:51 PM
    Does the stereo have Bluetooth connectivity? Try pairing them and give it a try. Alternatively, you can also use an audio cable to patch in through the stereo's AUX port.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-18-16 02:10 PM
    Blue tooth streaming.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-18-16 02:10 PM
    The stereo doesn't have Bluetooth. After posting this I thought of the aux port as well, I have the audio jack so I will try that as soon as I can and let you know. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 03:21 PM
    The stereo doesn't have Bluetooth. After posting this I thought of the aux port as well, I have the audio jack so I will try that as soon as I can and let you know. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Sony stereo with no Bluetooth? That would have been the first thing on the list when buying a stereo.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-18-16 03:27 PM
    To be completely honest, your stereo is probably more to blame for compatibility than the Passport. I'm surprised it connects to the Android device because, as far as I knew, most USB connections built into stereos were intended for USB memory cards.

Most modern stereo setups have bluetooth built in. If not, you can find pretty much any kind of bluetooth adapter online and I'm sure the easiest way would be a bluetooth to 3.5 mm headphone jack, if that's what your stereo has. This would only be if you didn't want to have a cord to plug your phone in every time you want to use it.

BlackBerry also had a bluetooth handsfree speakerphone device with a built in FM transmitter. It worked surprisingly well when I had it paired with a BB10 device. On re-thinking as I write all of this, it would actually be my suggestion for you to check out before anything else. It works really well, the battery lasts forever (or at least a really long time), and you can use it through your car stereo for music and phone calls. Here is one currently on Amazon and well worth the price: https://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Vi...UvbUpU12510200
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    07-18-16 03:46 PM
    You can also turn on the USB Mass Storage Mode and your Passport Memory Card will act like a USB Stick.

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч Passport 10.3.2.2888 with 2814 Radio
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-18-16 04:44 PM
    Or update the radio firmware - if possible.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 04:58 PM
    Thanks everyone for the inputs. I just finished trying the aux mode and it worked, even though the volume was a bit lower than usual: I had to volume up to the maximum both on the Passport and the stereo itself to get the volume louder than the surrounding noises, then I switched back to the radio and it was excessively loud... is that ok?

The reason why I didn't bother about the Bluetooth is because this was a quick repair, wanted to go as cheap as possible, and I had already planned to use the usb port. I'm OK with plugging a cable anyway.

The model is the G1100U. I don't have a memory card yet, all my songs are on the device memory. The manual says "usb device formatted with file systems other than fat16 and fat32 are unsupported".

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 09:05 AM
    I use the blackberry music gateway to connect to my stereo via the aux jack. i hate wires hanging

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 09:16 AM
    Thanks everyone for the inputs. I just finished trying the aux mode and it worked, even though the volume was a bit lower than usual: I had to volume up to the maximum both on the Passport and the stereo itself to get the volume louder than the surrounding noises, then I switched back to the radio and it was excessively loud... is that ok?

The reason why I didn't bother about the Bluetooth is because this was a quick repair, wanted to go as cheap as possible, and I had already planned to use the usb port. I'm OK with plugging a cable anyway.

The model is the G1100U. I don't have a memory card yet, all my songs are on the device memory. The manual says "usb device formatted with file systems other than fat16 and fat32 are unsupported".

Posted via CB10
    Did you look at the phone when turning the volume up? You have to tell it you want to go past the dumb limit that's set.
    07-19-16 09:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    What you talk about is normal. It's actually very common thing with smart phones and using Auxiliary chord.

I've come up with two solutions.
    Check out this thread.......

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...olume-1075495/

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    07-19-16 07:35 PM
    Well, considering that I never turn the radio volume all the way up as it's too loud... the aux mode volume is pretty decent in the end. The usb would have been better for me, it also charges the Passport. I will buy a 128gb sdcard in the near future and use that with the usb.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 05:11 AM
    To be completely honest, your stereo is probably more to blame for compatibility than the Passport. I'm surprised it connects to the Android device because, as far as I knew, most USB connections built into stereos were intended for USB memory cards.

Most modern stereo setups have bluetooth built in. If not, you can find pretty much any kind of bluetooth adapter online and I'm sure the easiest way would be a bluetooth to 3.5 mm headphone jack, if that's what your stereo has. This would only be if you didn't want to have a cord to plug your phone in every time you want to use it.

BlackBerry also had a bluetooth handsfree speakerphone device with a built in FM transmitter. It worked surprisingly well when I had it paired with a BB10 device. On re-thinking as I write all of this, it would actually be my suggestion for you to check out before anything else. It works really well, the battery lasts forever (or at least a really long time), and you can use it through your car stereo for music and phone calls. Here is one currently on Amazon and well worth the price: https://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Vi...UvbUpU12722226
    I second the recommendation to check out the BlackBerry Speakerphone in that link. I've had two for the last couple years and use it to run music or podcasts and through to my car speakers. Of course phone calls go through also. Works with my wife's Samsung also.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-17 01:21 PM
    I use the blackberry music gateway to connect to my stereo via the aux jack. i hate wires hanging

Posted via CB10
    Happy with that? No noise?

 BB10 can't die. It is healthy and young!
    01-07-17 04:44 AM
    Did you look at the phone when turning the volume up? You have to tell it you want to go past the dumb limit that's set.
    Well, that dumb limit is pretty dumb 'cause volume is rather low when connecting to car stereo system, either via bluetooth or aux.
    But I found that that dumb limit is for head phone only.

Posted from my  Passport
    01-07-17 08:11 AM
    Dang
    06-13-17 04:30 PM