Basically, what do I have to do to get into a Passport with the least expensive plan that I can get.

Who carries the phone in the US?
    I've read that it's only AT&T and T Mobile. but they don't sell them. So my alternatives so far are Amazon and Ebay.

Once I have the phone, how do I go about getting the SIM card and shopping for the cheapest plan that I can? (What does the SIM actually do?)
    Personnel at the stores are not on the ball. I went to a store today and got severe slack jaws from the employees at the mere mention of blackberry. I would very much enjoy taking advantage of a $50 American plan if at all possible. Is that possible?

Thanks for any advice!

Wiss
    12-14-14 04:35 PM
    Since no USA carrier is currently carrying the phone you will have to buy it for full price at shop.blackberry.com or amazon.com You just pick up a nano sim from a T-mobile store or order one from their online store. T-mobile has a prepaid $30 a month 100 minute with 5 gigabyte data plan available. If that is the plan you are going for then you should pick up that particular sim from Walmart or you can order from their online store or that sim can also be ordered from amazon.com. I think the least expensive post paid plan they have is $45 a month but they have one for $40 a month if you call them but they really discourage you from the $40 plan after all it is only a five dollar difference.
    Wiss Brau likes this.
    12-14-14 08:25 PM
    Who carries the phone in the US?
    No US carrier is currently selling the phone right now, either through their stores or website.

I've read that it's only AT&T and T Mobile. but they don't sell them.
    The phone works on AT&T and TMO's networks, so also on other carriers that use these networks, carriers such as Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, etc that are known as MVNOs.

So my alternatives so far are Amazon and Ebay.
    Actually, I would leave eBay out, and replace it with ShopBlackBerry: BlackBerry US Online Store - BlackBerry Passport

Amazon has much better customer service than ShopBlackBerry, so I would recommend that you buy through them, if possible. And if you decide to buy through Amazon, make sure it's shipped and sold by Amazon, i.e. that you aren't buying from a third party seller.

Once I have the phone, how do I go about getting the SIM card and shopping for the cheapest plan that I can? (What does the SIM actually do?)
    The SIM is basically a piece of technology that gets you on a carrier network. When you sign up for service through a GSM carrier, they will give you a SIM card, which you put in your phone. The specific size you will need for the Passport is a nano SIM.

Personnel at the stores are not on the ball. I went to a store today and got severe slack jaws from the employees at the mere mention of blackberry. I would very much enjoy taking advantage of a $50 American plan if at all possible. Is that possible?
    The beauty of GSM networks is that you need the bare amount of interaction with slack jaw employees when signing up for service. All you need to do is pick a plan and ask them for a nano SIM card. Then put it in your phone, and when service is activated, watch your phone go.You can even do this transaction online--order a SIM card, and sign up for service.

Basically, what do I have to do to get into a Passport with the least expensive plan that I can get.
    In a nutshell, pick a carrier and a plan. Here is a list of (almost) all prepaid options available: All Prepaid Wireless Cell Phone Plans and Providers | AllPrepaidPlans.com. Start with the 'Discover by Network' option, and take a look at the options that come up under AT&T and T-Mobile. Finally, on the left where there's a list of Providers, check out AT&T and T-Mobile as well.

T-Mobile and its MVNOs carriers are generally the cheaper option.
    12-14-14 09:35 PM
    Thanks to the both of you! You gave me more information that both AT&T and T Mobile gave me via customer service! I might have to wait a couple paychecks though! It's a tough time of the year for it!

I'm sure that I will be using this incredible forum to get the most from my phone! thanks!
    12-14-14 10:10 PM
    I thought in the US you could now finance a Passport on Shop Blackberry using PayPal Credit.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 10:42 PM
    I ordered my Passport using the Paypal credit plan. Phone is arriving tomorrow, and I haven't been billed yet.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 11:58 PM