I am so in love with the Blackberry Passport. I just love the design, size and the physical keyboard so much. It's haunting me!

The only thing stopping me is the camera. I do a lot of social media for my job... I tend to need to whip out my phone, take quick shots and get clear photos. Color can be edited separately, I just really need *clear* shots. I can do my spreadsheets and crank out endless emails on my current device but I feel like this would be much easier on the Passport. But I know I will start to hate the phone if the camera is giving me a lot of extra work.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice/experiences to share coming from a Lumia? Currently, I'm using a Lumia 920 and the camera quality is just perfect for what I need, but the phone is dying and there are some android apps that would make my life a lot easier. I know there are much better Lumia cameras out there but what I'm hoping is that the Blackberry Passport is on equal footing with the older Lumias since I know it is more or less acceptable quality.

I've seen evidence that suggests the 1520/930 Lumias or the newer Galaxy S6 are superior to the Passport but I'm fine with that because it doesn't need to be *that* good, but it can't be subpar like the older Samsung Note/Galaxy S2-S4, Nexus 4/5, etc. (particularly problems with low light/slow to focus). No one does camera shootouts with the older phones so I can't really figure out if the Passport would be an upgrade vs the 2012 Lumia 920.

I also hear lots of complaints regarding the new software so it makes me even more apprehensive. The one person I know with a Passport is not tech savvy in the least and her photos are all unfocused/blurry most of the time, I was shocked when I found out she was using a Passport and not like a 9700. You all take such lovely photos in the Passport Pictures thread but I know those are the best shots and I don't know how hard you worked for them haha.

So please, with all honesty... how do you find your Passport's pictures vs other phones you've owned (particularly Lumias)? Anyone abuse their Passport camera on a daily basis?
    05-07-15 12:06 PM
    I came from a 808 PureView to a z10, trust me you'll manage
    05-07-15 12:08 PM
    Go through the "pictures taken with the passport" thread and see what you think! I personally have no problems taking clear shots of small print but I am very patient with the slow auto focus. Users on the current 10.3.2 leak report faster focus time, but that would require installing a leak that may have some bugs and will not allow a downgrade in the event of non-functionality. What I would suggest is to wait for now, keep lurking on crackberry to see when the newest release of official OS comes out, and get the Passport on sale. This should happen within the next couple months.
    Hope this helps!

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    05-07-15 12:45 PM
    If you take time the result is great. Macro don't always work the first time. The focus time is slower than most high end phone in the market.
    Coming from a Lumia... how much will I miss the camera?-img_20150502_204205.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 12:50 PM
    I think you'll be disappointed with the camera software for the current gen BB10 phones. Its just not as easy to "'whip out my phone, take quick shots and get clear photos'. The PP certainly has adequate hardware and you can take good photos with it buts its more temperamental.
    05-07-15 01:19 PM
    I have the Lumia 1020 and the Passport and initially I was disappointed with the pictures. But of course, it's a bit hard to match the 1020. But if you compare it with other phones like the Samsung S5, I would say it's at par. But most of the time the "whip your phone out to take pics of candid moment" will disappoint you. Buying the third party app Camera++ and using snapshot mode will help a bit. But be prepared for some missed shots.

One thing that the Lumia also has is a dedicated camera button. Which you won't miss because of the keyboard shortcuts and the spacebar can be used as a camera buttton.

Smart Sequence is more or less replicated by Timeshift. Although Smart Sequence has a lot more tricks.

As a conclusion, PP camera hardware is good but is hampered by the stock camera app so better invest in Camera++. It can produce good shots depending on your use case but don't expect it to beat the Lumias.

Note: OS 10.3.1.2726

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Zedd88; 05-07-15 at 02:19 PM.
    05-07-15 01:37 PM
    I am so in love with the Blackberry Passport. I just love the design, size and the physical keyboard so much. It's haunting me!

The only thing stopping me is the camera. I do a lot of social media for my job... I tend to need to whip out my phone, take quick shots and get clear photos. Color can be edited separately, I just really need *clear* shots. I can do my spreadsheets and crank out endless emails on my current device but I feel like this would be much easier on the Passport. But I know I will start to hate the phone if the camera is giving me a lot of extra work.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice/experiences to share coming from a Lumia? Currently, I'm using a Lumia 920 and the camera quality is just perfect for what I need, but the phone is dying and there are some android apps that would make my life a lot easier. I know there are much better Lumia cameras out there but what I'm hoping is that the Blackberry Passport is on equal footing with the older Lumias since I know it is more or less acceptable quality.

I've seen evidence that suggests the 1520/930 Lumias or the newer Galaxy S6 are superior to the Passport but I'm fine with that because it doesn't need to be *that* good, but it can't be subpar like the older Samsung Note/Galaxy S2-S4, Nexus 4/5, etc. (particularly problems with low light/slow to focus). No one does camera shootouts with the older phones so I can't really figure out if the Passport would be an upgrade vs the 2012 Lumia 920.

I also hear lots of complaints regarding the new software so it makes me even more apprehensive. The one person I know with a Passport is not tech savvy in the least and her photos are all unfocused/blurry most of the time, I was shocked when I found out she was using a Passport and not like a 9700. You all take such lovely photos in the Passport Pictures thread but I know those are the best shots and I don't know how hard you worked for them haha.

So please, with all honesty... how do you find your Passport's pictures vs other phones you've owned (particularly Lumias)? Anyone abuse their Passport camera on a daily basis?
    The Passport Camera started off with bad and slow autofocus. This has since been rectified with software updates. Go ahead and try it. The difference was like night and day. It's possible that many people who are commenting have not updated. Good thing is there's still and I guess always room for improvement and the people who are running the 10.3.2.500 beta OS are reporting even more improvements to the camera app and the general performance of the phone. So go ahead and try it but make sure you come here to get the latest updates when you do.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 01:43 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone!! The fact that the upgrades seem to be improving focusing speeds is comforting to me. OS 10 is going to be sticking around for a while right or do you think they'll be moving on to another OS with the new line of devices this fall?

Anyone else want to chip in?
    05-08-15 10:09 PM
    Coming from a Note 4, iPhone 6, and other high end phones, I find they are better cameras than the Passport.

That said, I've taken a lot of photos with the OP and accept the slow focus. It's great for stills, not moving objects. The camera is my deciding factor when choosing a phone, but so much more is offered with the OP, that I had to buy this phone. I prefer BBY's over the other phones.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 10:31 PM