Would a Colorware Passport be neat?

What are your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 08:44 PM
    Sure but they over inflate their prices so much it's not even worth it.
    CharlieV and IamSuperMas like this.
    03-16-15 08:49 PM
    It would be cool if BlackBerry offered a premium pricing option and mold out your device in a colored, injection molded plastic, that you could choose from BlackBerry directly.

Large business companies could order huge amounts of custom colored devices for a premium. It would be cool to see a baby blue Passport...I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 08:53 PM
    It sounds like an awesome idea on one hand! But on the other hand where you mention that businesses MAY buy them, it could happen, but more than likely won't.

The Passport is a bit more on the expensive side, and less of a fleet upgrade device for businesses. They'd overlook the Passport(Though it's amazing and would help a lot for any business, PRODUCTIVITY FTW) just by sheer price, and adding in a premium for different colors would mean they're further not going to justify the price. That's where your Leap, and Classic come in.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 10:44 PM
    Unless you are in school and there are so many Passports around that yours needs to be marked, I don't see the point. This is what cases are made for.

But I acknowledge this may be a minority view.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 11:22 PM
    Man... I've aged. Many rains ago, I desperately wanted to Colorware my 8320. The prices were a bit too high for me back then.

Now I wouldn't consider it LOL.
    03-16-15 11:55 PM
    It would be cool if BlackBerry offered a premium pricing option and mold out your device in a colored, injection molded plastic, that you could choose from BlackBerry directly.

Large business companies could order huge amounts of custom colored devices for a premium. It would be cool to see a baby blue Passport...I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Posted via CB10
    I think that companies want to pay the least amount of money as possible. They wouldn't want to waste cash just to make their devices look pretty.

As for having a Colorware Passport, I don't really see the point. It would be cool, but are there really that many people looking to buy a Passport anymore in the first place? It wouldn't seem like a good business practice on Colorware's part.

Besides, we already have three colors offered for the Passport!

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    03-17-15 12:03 AM
    Colorware's business is focus on people who are more inclined in personalizing their devices... Main reason companies like these exist coz there are people/consumers like that.
    Well, I think it doesn't hurt us either IF... their price is right. But if NOT, then nevermind...

via BlackBerry Passport
    03-17-15 12:19 AM
    Do you really think it's that inflated? Have you watched the video of their process before? $300 for an ip6 sounds fair to me based on the process and end product.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 02:23 AM
    Having worked for a Hardware vendor, the pricing and quantities are ridiculous..... 95% of the time, even interested companies just say "F...that"

The average life span of devices is just way too short with overall 18 months EOL schedules from vendors......

Until you get your order for 100K devices (phones, notebook, whatever) finally ready to be built, around 3-4 months have passed and you need to wait another 1-2 months minimum to get them delivered.

By the time you receive it, it's been out there for 6 months and most people start looking for the release of your latest device...

Just look at AT&T and the Passport.... It took roughly that long until they had 'their' device....

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 02:38 AM
    A bit like shop crackberry.

Posted via CB4
    03-17-15 02:55 AM
    Do you really think it's that inflated? Have you watched the video of their process before? $300 for an ip6 sounds fair to me based on the process and end product.

Posted via CB10
    Their prices are SUPER HYPED. The (impressive) production video they show you on their website doesn't justify a technique they already have down. Last I checked was for my MacBook Pro... Price was RIDICULOUS. $300 for the i6 doesn't seem so bad but when you consider that it's REALLY just (high end) spray paint and healing... To each his own. Doubt they see the profit opportunity with Bb so I don't think that will show up any time soon, they pulled all previous ones too.
    03-17-15 05:42 AM
    It's a moot point. ColorWare no longer customizes BlackBerry devices.
    03-17-15 06:47 AM
    It's a moot point. ColorWare no longer customizes BlackBerry devices.
    I thought they would pretty much do anything you send them....?
    And, I think an incredible amount of time is spent by colorware on each device and that the equipment they use is incredibly expensive.....plus they probably aren't drowning in business.....they gotta make some profit.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 07:57 AM
    I thought they would pretty much do anything you send them....?
    And, I think an incredible amount of time is spent by colorware on each device and that the equipment they use is incredibly expensive.....plus they probably aren't drowning in business.....they gotta make some profit.

Posted via CB10
    I do believe you are right, they will customize any device, even if it is one that they do not advertise. I will agree with posters here that it is expensive, however i do believe that the prep work that has to be done to the exterior of the device to allow the paint to adhere and choosing the right paint does take R&D and I'm sure that they aren't using the cheapest equipment and paint. That being said, I do believe that someone could probably do it themselves with enough time, patience, and trial and error.
    aha likes this.
    03-17-15 08:27 AM
    Colorware BlackBerry Passport...-crackberry-image.jpg

I can say it certainly takes a lot of time and effort to spray a phone, don't think I'm ready to do the passport.... yet

Posted via CB4
    03-17-15 06:04 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	342020

I can say it certainly takes a lot of time and effort to spray a phone, don't think I'm ready to do the passport.... yet

Posted via CB4
    Would you mind detailing your process and the type of paint you used?

Posted via CB10
    TheGraduate likes this.
    03-17-15 10:30 PM
    Would you mind detailing your process and the type of paint you used?

Posted via CB10
    First was disassembly which is a bit fiddly, but the Z10 is kinda simple so it not too bad, they I gave the plastic housing a rub down with fine grit paper, then masked all the parts I did not want to be green.

Next up was the primer, which was specifically for plastics, sprayed on carefully in a little oven made from a cardboard box and a heat gun. When this was fully dried, I gave it another rub down with fine sand paper.

The paint was just regular car paint in a spray can. When this had dried I used a fine compound to take out any imperfections, and polished it with regular car polish.

Chucked it all back together and hey presto, kermit the phone was born!

Posted via CB4
    03-18-15 04:20 AM
    I would be interested in this as I like to personalize everything. Would love a blue Passport.

I contacted colorwave when I first received my Passport and they told me they don't do BlackBerry any more.

 Passport via CB10
    IamSuperMas likes this.
    03-18-15 06:09 AM