If I already have cobalt, is there any point to getting snap?

New owner of Passport
    09-09-16 02:31 AM
    No, especially since Snap isn't fully working even with the new version 3.

Cobalt's Play Store also does stuff Snap doesn't/couldn't ever do (OBB data files, for one).
    09-09-16 02:38 AM
    No, especially since Snap isn't fully working even with the new version 3.

Cobalt's Play Store also does stuff Snap doesn't/couldn't ever do (OBB data files, for one).
    Cobalt isn't without its qwirks and problems. It just doesn't work right or consistently.

2BDB5FDF...Playbook 50304327 BBM CHANNEL "POWER OF CHOICE" C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    09-09-16 11:50 AM
  4. JORGE CARLOS GALLEGOS LOZANO1's Avatar
    Cobalt, is the best way to Android App's a BB10. I am 12 my Z30 App's running smoothly. my mobil never freezes and works great. Snap is very limited.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-16 12:16 PM
    Cobalt isn't without its qwirks and problems. It just doesn't work right or consistently.

2BDB5FDF...Playbook 50304327 BBM CHANNEL "POWER OF CHOICE" C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    How so?
    09-09-16 12:27 PM
    09-09-16 12:27 PM
    Cobalt Playstore is Android. Snap is native. So it is much snappier (pun intended). I have failed to get updates from Cobalt Playstore, but have never failed with Snap. However, you can pay for purchases using Cobalt Playstore but not Snap. Personally, I prefer Snap.
    09-09-16 12:47 PM
    I prefer Snap also but that is only because:
    -don't care about downloading movies, books or music (I have other sources if I want them which is not often)
    -don't want any game data on my device
    -don't want or care about notifications on Hub
    -don't want to rate any apps even if I used Google+
    -don't have or want a wish list of any kind for any reason
    -like the UI and native look and feel of Snap
    -do like the ability to save the app on my devices using V2 (sorry can't do this on Snap V3 so you are out of luck on this important feature use Cobalt's
    Playstore

So, in short, everything marked with an x on Conite's list with one exception is useless for ME. Maybe not you though! I have used Cobalt's GPS and have deleted it simply because I have no need for it and I found it slower and uglier. Only my opinion and for my needs. Let the flaming begin!
    jope28 and firefighterdrew like this.
    09-09-16 03:14 PM
    My snap on my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876 no longer works. So it's completely useless.

09-10-16 03:14 PM
    Installing the cobalt google play store on BlackBerry may work. However the applications from the play store will still not work properly. So what is the purpose?

09-10-16 03:32 PM
    I enjoyed Snap when it used to work. I've never tried Cobalt's Google Play Store, so I can't talk about it.
    09-10-16 05:04 PM
    Installing the cobalt google play store on BlackBerry may work. However the applications from the play store will still not work properly. So what is the purpose?

Everything works properly, you just don't have the android runtime fix (in all likelihood) installed. Do a search here for the fix. Having said that, some apps still require Google services patch before they work and none of the apps will work as well as an android device. Can not be expected since it is a BB10 device.
    09-10-16 05:10 PM
    I run both: Snap v2 since I got my Passport last year, and Cobalt for the past few months. From experience, I'd say it's a matter of what you want to do, and the chart above nails it on the head from what I've seen. At first, and still mostly, I just want to download apk's, and Snap gives me a native way to do that, plus being able to archive my files in case I ever need to go back to an old one (has happened once.) However, when I wanted to buy a subscription on an Android newspaper app, I needed the Cobalt solution, which offers the right solution for that.

No one should assume, however, that using Cobalt's fix gets rid of the annoying "Google Play Services" messages, at least in my experience. The only advantage I've found is setting up subscriptions and receiving app update alerts. Otherwise, the error messages have not gone away. In other words, I haven't really added as much in the way of Play Services as I had hoped.
    09-12-16 06:38 PM
    No one should assume, however, that using Cobalt's fix gets rid of the annoying "Google Play Services" messages, at least in my experience. The only advantage I've found is setting up subscriptions and receiving app update alerts. Otherwise, the error messages have not gone away. In other words, I haven't really added as much in the way of Play Services as I had hoped.
    Part 2 of Cobalt's solution is to install his modified Google Play Services and patch the offending apps.
    09-12-16 07:36 PM
    Cobalt

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 03:42 PM
    Have installed COBALTS and also use the patch tool. Receive notifications when my apps need any updates and do so if needed. Also key being able to patch apps for Google Play services when needed.
    Works perfectly on Passport SE.

Posted via PRIV and or Passport SE
    09-14-16 04:54 AM
    I have a VERY small amount of Android apps (4, to be exact). I got a Passport because I loved BB10. If I wanted a phone full of Android apps, I would have gotten an android phone.

That being said, keeping the few android apps that I do use 'up to date', can be a pain. I hate waiting around checking apk mirror looking for updates. Also, wanting to install an app before a trip, or for a 'once only use' does happen from time to time.

Cobalt's answer is by far the most complete. You have the ability to have the complete Play Store experience on your BB10 device. However, for my limited use, I love that Snap is a no fuss native option. It's fast, clean, serves my purposes well.
    09-14-16 01:26 PM
    I use snap the old version and it still give me the update's I need and I don't need that much apps from the Android store. Only Bank app
    09-14-16 04:10 PM
    Snap! Google Maps works but not on Cobalt without some patch work around

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 05:32 PM
    Snap! Google Maps works but not on Cobalt without some patch work around

Posted via CB10
    It's the same one. Both Snap and Google Play Store pull the same apps. GMaps works fine, but works even better if you patch it.
    09-14-16 05:49 PM
    What happens if you install both conflict or complimentary

Forgiven
    09-14-16 05:51 PM
    What happens if you install both conflict or complimentary

Forgiven
    Nothing will happen but it is senseless to have both installed since they are the same store (Google Play). One or the other. If you are not big into buying apps, games etc then you can use Snap. If you plan on keeping game stats, levels or purchasing music, books or media content then install the more inclusive and feature rich Cobalt Google Play Store solution.
    09-14-16 06:00 PM
    Nothing will happen but it is senseless to have both installed since they are the same store (Google Play). One or the other. If you are not big into buying apps, games etc then you can use Snap. If you plan on keeping game stats, levels or purchasing music, books or media content then install the more inclusive and feature rich Cobalt Google Play Store solution.
    But when app requires GOOGLE play services..which is the better process to use: Snap or Cobalt?
    Can you patch apps via snap? What does snap when app requires google play services?

Than you for clarifications!!

09-14-16 06:19 PM
    But when app requires GOOGLE play services..which is the better process to use: Snap or Cobalt?
    Can you patch apps via snap? What does snap when app requires google play services?

Than you for clarifications!!

In that case use the Cobalt solution since the complete instructions for patching etc are on his page. You can patch with apps obtained from Snap, but if you need GPS you may as well go to the man-Cobalt.
    09-14-16 06:24 PM
    In that case use the Cobalt solution since the complete instructions for patching etc are on his page. You can patch with apps obtained from Snap, but if you need GPS you may as well go to the man-Cobalt.
    Thanks for response!
    So then...Patching only via Cobalt and if you need GPS services like UBER app won't work from Snap.

09-15-16 05:11 AM
74 123