This was just something I was thinking about today. Would it be possible or even necessary to update the Android runtime on the BB10 devices. To be honest I'm not sure how it works but it seems to me that it was based on an older version of android and maybe an update to (nougat 7.1.1) may help with some app issues I've read about. It's just a question I had because as soon as my Passports screen is fixed I'm back to BB10.
    07-19-17 05:16 PM
    Would it be possible or even necessary to update the Android runtime on the BB10 devices.
    Not possible.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-19-17 05:26 PM
    It's up to BlackBerry to manage updates, but between the state of BB10 and their refocusing to licensed Android devices, it ain't happening.

That won't stop the usual suspects from chiming in, though.
    07-19-17 05:29 PM
    Never going to happen. Android 4.3 is the most you're going to get.
    07-19-17 09:20 PM
    Not sure if I am a usual suspect yet (is that a special CB Forums badge? Lol)

It won't happen unfortunately as blackberry, other than the name, is in a completely different business. If android is needed that bad the Keyone is the answer but the current state of BB10 is enough for those that don't consume massive media.

Do I personally wish it was possible? Sure.

Posted via CB10 on Cobalt Classic
    07-19-17 09:34 PM
    Not possible.
    I was afraid of that.
    07-19-17 09:38 PM
    It's up to BlackBerry to manage updates, but between the state of BB10 and their refocusing to licensed Android devices, it ain't happening.

That won't stop the usual suspects from chiming in, though.
    Well I hope that those suspects end up with some free time.
    07-19-17 09:40 PM
    Never going to happen. Android 4.3 is the most you're going to get.
    Unfortunately I'm starting to realize BB10 is fading quickly.
    07-19-17 09:41 PM
    Starting?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-19-17 09:44 PM
    Not sure if I am a usual suspect yet (is that a special CB Forums badge? Lol)

It won't happen unfortunately as blackberry, other than the name, is in a completely different business. If android is needed that bad the Keyone is the answer but the current state of BB10 is enough for those that don't consume massive media.

Do I personally wish it was possible? Sure.

I already figured BlackBerry was never going to but I was just thinking that someone with experience could figure it out and I'm fairly certain BlackBerry wouldn't mind at this point.
    07-19-17 09:46 PM
    I already figured BlackBerry was never going to but I was just thinking that someone with experience could figure it out and I'm fairly certain BlackBerry wouldn't mind at this point.
    Couldn't do it anyway because only software signed by BlackBerry can be installed on a BB10 device.
    07-19-17 09:47 PM
    Starting?
    I've been in denial for awhile now. A key one is definetely in my future when the bad reports start to slow down.
    07-19-17 09:48 PM
    Starting?
    Now I know why you get flack for some comments, you are the Kevin O'Leary of CB Forums, delivering stone cold honesty 365. Lol

Just wish BlackBerry would announce it already, then we can have a goodbye party and the legacy crowd don't have to be treated like lepers in denial.

07-19-17 09:51 PM
    Now I know why you get flack for some comments, you are the Kevin O'Leary of CB Forums, delivering stone cold honesty 365. Lol

Just wish BlackBerry would announce it already, then we can have a goodbye party and the legacy crowd don't have to be treated like lepers in denial.

I was hoping that BlackBerry would have 1 guy tucked away updating BB10 like oh I don't know, Milton from Office Space. He hasn't been paid in 7 years but he keeps showing up to work.
    methodinsane likes this.
    07-19-17 09:57 PM
    I was hoping that BlackBerry would have 1 guy tucked away updating BB10 like oh I don't know, Milton from Office Space. He hasn't been paid in 7 years but he keeps showing up to work.
    Didn't he burn the place down already?
    07-19-17 09:58 PM
    Still has the stapler though
    07-19-17 09:59 PM
    Well there someone approving app updates every few weeks..

I am sure BB10 will be nice once randsomware hits mobile.

07-19-17 10:06 PM
    I think people would gladly pay a nice fee for an android runtime update for the BlackBerry 10 devices such as Passport but the problem is that once that emerges Google would probably send a bus load of lawyers to trying quash the effort (which would be a not negligible rewrite) & the runtime work would probably wind up yielding nothing but misery for the authors…

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 11:33 PM
    I think people would gladly pay a nice fee for an android runtime update for the BlackBerry 10 devices such as Passport
    Do you mean the same people here who balked at paying .99 for an app?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-20-17 02:29 PM
    Do you mean the same people here who balked at paying .99 for an app?
    Buy a 7 large phone, skimp for a buck for an app used daily, buy a McD coffee with the savings, you mean them?
    07-20-17 02:39 PM
    Lol where were you? It already did..
    07-21-17 08:56 AM
    Lol where were you? It already did..
    I took a nap... Geez
    jdesignz likes this.
    07-21-17 09:46 AM
    This was just something I was thinking about today. Would it be possible or even necessary to update the Android runtime on the BB10 devices. To be honest I'm not sure how it works but it seems to me that it was based on an older version of android and maybe an update to (nougat 7.1.1) may help with some app issues I've read about. It's just a question I had because as soon as my Passports screen is fixed I'm back to BB10.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ba6e8fcdf1.jpg

While yes it would be nice, it will not happen. On the other hand most app writers take into acccount that large number of droid phones never update. They patch it within the app. That's why it all still works (mostly)
    07-21-17 09:58 AM
    While yes it would be nice, it will not happen. On the other hand most app writers take into acccount that large number of droid phones never update. They patch it within the app. That's why it all still works (mostly)

As of July 6, 2017.... 90% of Android users are on Android 4.4 or above.

Granted I'm not seeing as many complaints about apps not working (or BB10 in general), but then it's not like many new users are coming to BB10. Most the old users know the limitations and what can and can not be done - which is you use and older version of an app that doesn't have the newer features, or find and app for an app, or move on.
    07-21-17 01:34 PM
    It is time for everyone to move on. The passport becomes less useful every day. I for one have moved since the KEYone 's release. Do I think android is as good as BB10? Not even close, but what choice do we have? The KEYone is a fantastic phone and has enough "BlackBerriness" for most. just my thoughts. The keyboard is actually better to type on, actually too.
    07-22-17 08:47 AM
28 12