Bought a Choetech Qi wireless charger for my AT&T Passport but it has not been performing well.

The first night I charged on the wireless charger, I plugged it in at about 90% and I woke up five hours later to find it at 92% and VERY HOT.

I ran a few charging tests during the day when the phone battery had drained, and it seemed to be charging normally so I thought perhaps I didn't place it on the charger properly the previous night.

So I charged it again the second night and it was the same thing - put it on at 90-something and it was about the same when I woke up (although not as hot as it was the first night).

(I wouldn't normally charge a phone through the night when it's already almost full but I'd just got the PP so it was charging incidentally while plugged in to USB during setup)

Anyway, I ran more tests this evening.

Qi charger: Started at 36%, removed from charger at 43% (7% charge in 15 minutes)
    Qi charger in Bedside Mode: Started at 43%, removed from charger at 49% (6% charge in 15 minutes)
    Wired charge: Started at 49%, unplugged at 62% (13% charge in 15 minutes)

So it looked like maybe it was working.

I left it on Qi charger while I walked the dog and came back to:
    Qi charger in Bedside mode: Started at 62%, removed from charger at 76% (14% charge in 45 minutes)

Then again:
    Qi charger: Started at 76%, removed from charger at 80% (4% charge in 30 minutes)

Both slower charging rates than before. The erratic charging rate continued.

Qi charger: Started at 80%, removed from charger at 88% (8% charge in 20 minutes)
    Wired charge: Started at 88%, unplugged at 97% (9% charge in 12 minutes)

Finally
    Qi charger: Started at 97%, charged fully in about 5-10 minutes.

So I don't know what to make of it. I'm placing it as close to the middle as possible each time. But one of the selling points of this charger is that it has a wider charging area on the pad. And there's no way I'm missing the center of the pad that much.

The unpredictable charging, combined with how hot it's making the phone, doesn't give me great confidence.

Has anyone got experience of using this charger with the Passport?
    03-16-15 10:05 PM
    What cable are you plugging into the Qi charger, are you using the OEM wall plug? Are you using a thicker case?
    03-16-15 10:11 PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

No case, just the naked phone.

I'm using the OEM wall plug along with the cable provided by the charger manufacturer.
    03-16-15 10:14 PM
    Aint AT&T wireless charging PMA and not Qi?
    03-16-15 10:26 PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

No case, just the naked phone.

I'm using the OEM wall plug along with the cable provided by the charger manufacturer.
    Out of ideas, strange that it varies so much in charging. Maybe a bad unit.

It has a newer system that uses both like the Samsung S6.
    03-16-15 10:29 PM
    Out of ideas, strange that it varies so much in charging. Maybe a bad unit.

It has a newer system that uses both like the Samsung S6.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm talking to the vendor now and I'll see what happens. I'll update should I get it working correctly or not, incase it helps other make a purchasing decision.
    03-16-15 10:44 PM
    The ATT PP is actually optimized for Qi charging and is comparable with PMA charging.
    03-17-15 07:25 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm talking to the vendor now and I'll see what happens. I'll update should I get it working correctly or not, incase it helps other make a purchasing decision.
    A lot of times people upgrade the cord that comes with the charger. If it is the same as the blackberry one, I would suggest using the OEM blackberry charger with the wireless charging base. Your results sound like the device is not properly centered on the charger. If it is then the unit sounds defective.
    03-17-15 07:28 AM
    Hi
    So an update on this. I've used it two nights in a row now and it has worked without issue. It's not getting hot as it was and the charge is (presumably) working at a normal speed.

It seems that the phone and charger combination struggled in the first couple of days but thankfully it appears to be resolved now. Thanks for your input everyone.
    03-19-15 09:45 PM
    I checked mine a couple of times while charging to see if it got hot. I'm using my old Nokia Lumia QI pad and it stayed pretty cool. I'll only be using it overnight so I'm not that concerned with the charging speed.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 09:53 PM