06-25-15 02:57 PM
150 1234 ...
tools
    Wow

For what it is worth, I have two passports from shop blackberry. Both work great and no issues.

On the flip side I have a surface pro 2. Which has been plagued with issues because Microsoft, as a company, is moronic and knows little about hardware. The device reboots constantly while using it (short version :its caused by the dumb proprietary keyboard connector they made)

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    06-20-15 07:35 PM
    I always get my BlackBerry's from my service provider! If I ever have a problem (3 Q10s with dble type), they give me a free loaner! I received brand new phones, not refurbished or repaired, luckily, I am still on my first Passport since Sept! After reading horror stories re DR and now Amazon, I wouldnt dream of ordering one anywhere else. Just sayin
    In Poi25's other thread, someone claimed that selling through the carrier was a big scam by carriers and manufacturers to confuse warranty policies. Well, it seems like having the carrier as your first point of contact for replacement/service seems to have worked for you.

Carrier-branded BlackBerry's are warrantied through the carrier for the one year warranty. Factory unlocked devices sold through the likes of ShopBlackBerry, Amazon, B&H, etc. are warrantied through BlackBerry.
    06-20-15 07:36 PM
    "Condition: New"

There are no options for new electronics sold through Amazon Warehouse deals.
    Then you bought it thru Amazon and not directly from Amazon.
    So it's the third party seller you should be getting mad with.
    Not Amazon and not BlackBerry.

If buying in the US, they have option to buy from Amazon warehouse for all three colors.

Posted via CB10
    alternator77 likes this.
    06-20-15 08:26 PM
    I'm sorry you didn't get the magical unboxing experience we all crave and I hope the device has no functional defects. However, I IMHO it might be hyperbolic to call the listed concerns "serious issues." Obviously, you are right to expect a positive experience and I hope you find a satisfying resolution.

Following is just my opinion on the issues you listed and an explanation for why I wouldn't be too bothered about them. Of course I would like a perfect brand new device, but I wouldn't be as disgruntled.

"Loose" volume buttons: If they work properly then I wouldn't worry about them. The Z30 has loose buttons and it works fine. If you are worried about it, I would take pictures and file a note with Amazon for future reference in the unlikely event that they fall off or stop working.

The scuff on the steel frame… I sort of get it but it's not that big a deal because one seldom looks at the phone sideways. It's not a dent, risking the phone coming apart, it can be polished off. Would I rather a dead pixel on the screen or a little scuff on the side of the frame? If the screen was scratched, then definitely it would be a problem for me. Thankfully there are those protective films to help prevent this.

Lint on the protective stickers and a "beaten up" box. The box didn't look that damaged to me but even the slight visible bumps are there because the box and protective films "take damage" so that the phone isn't ruined in transit. They are not cosmetic items, as much as we all like to get a brand-new-looking box with clean protective film.

I agree that the Passport seems to have a lot of reported defects so it would be seriously frustrating if you found this replacement to be defective too. In your case you had the double typing and I'm curious to see if the replacement fixes this issue for you.

I understand that presentation matters when selling a product as brand new because the person opening the box wants to see a bright, shiny, sparkly, cleanly-sealed product. It's a little concerning that people expect brand new to mean "cosmetically perfect." Functionally perfect would be more reasonable but companies even disclaim functional perfection through dead pixel policies, short-term warranties etc.

I'm inclined to believe that getting a "perfect" brand new device is the exception. Products are complex and made of many parts by many people. The only time I would expect a perfect device is where I know it is made exclusively by machinery e.g. cables, fabric. When human assembly is included, there are bound to be some fingerprints.
    cbosdell and HereticHermit like this.
    06-20-15 08:31 PM
    Sent it back.
    06-20-15 08:37 PM
    No more Mr Nice Guy, man. Go to town on those fools.
    I see your basis, but there's no point in getting mad at Amazon. In reality, all Amazon is a warehouse. Some guy ran over to a shelf and picked out the Passport. He didn't do anything else other than put it in a cart. I buy literally everything off of Amazon and almost never go to the store for goods (except for groceries). Amazon is fantastic and yes, sometimes things are broken on arrival or I get the wrong item, but that's understandable with the massive operation they run.

It's not Amazon's fault, but they will take care of me, because they always do.

I'm sorry you didn't get the magical unboxing experience we all crave and I hope the device has no functional defects. However, I IMHO it might be hyperbolic to call the listed concerns "serious issues." Obviously, you are right to expect a positive experience and I hope you find a satisfying resolution.

Following is just my opinion on the issues you listed and an explanation for why I wouldn't be too bothered about them. Of course I would like a perfect brand new device, but I wouldn't be as disgruntled.

"Loose" volume buttons: If they work properly then I wouldn't worry about them. The Z30 has loose buttons and it works fine. If you are worried about it, I would take pictures and file a note with Amazon for future reference in the unlikely event that they fall off or stop working.

The scuff on the steel frame… I sort of get it but it's not that big a deal because one seldom looks at the phone sideways. It's not a dent, risking the phone coming apart, it can be polished off. Would I rather a dead pixel on the screen or a little scuff on the side of the frame? If the screen was scratched, then definitely it would be a problem for me. Thankfully there are those protective films to help prevent this.

Lint on the protective stickers and a "beaten up" box. The box didn't look that damaged to me but even the slight visible bumps are there because the box and protective films "take damage" so that the phone isn't ruined in transit. They are not cosmetic items, as much as we all like to get a brand-new-looking box with clean protective film.

I agree that the Passport seems to have a lot of reported defects so it would be seriously frustrating if you found this replacement to be defective too. In your case you had the double typing and I'm curious to see if the replacement fixes this issue for you.

I understand that presentation matters when selling a product as brand new because the person opening the box wants to see a bright, shiny, sparkly, cleanly-sealed product. It's a little concerning that people expect brand new to mean "cosmetically perfect." Functionally perfect would be more reasonable but companies even disclaim functional perfection through dead pixel policies, short-term warranties etc.

I'm inclined to believe that getting a "perfect" brand new device is the exception. Products are complex and made of many parts by many people. The only time I would expect a perfect device is where I know it is made exclusively by machinery e.g. cables, fabric. When human assembly is included, there are bound to be some fingerprints.
    Dude, please. I am constantly buying used electronics. Constantly. I just purchased a ThinkPad Yoga and it was a refurb. Warranty applies because Lenovo warranties devices and not people who buy devices (irrelevant), but I knew going in it was a refurb. In this case, I'm not pissed or mad that the box was beat up and the machine has some cosmetic damage, not one bit.

Because of my last brand new Passport with a bunk keyboard, I decided for BlackBerry devices I'm only going to buy new. So I did, and paid a nearly $250 premium on top of what I could find a used Passport for right now on Swappa and eBay. I think it's not only reasonable, but fully expected that I should receive a pristine, new Passport. No, I'm not going to freak out about a glue mark around the BlackBerry bullets like some people do, and I could even deal with the rattling volume keys if I have to (I'm not unreasonably anal), but there's no way in hell that I'm going to accept a "brand new" Passport who's side looks like it was dropped on concrete and packaged in a box that looks recycled. I didn't take multiple pictures of the inside but the box is definitely used. Marks on the outside I don't give a **** about.

If you're not familiar with how smartphones come off the production line, I recommend you do a little reading. It involves clean rooms with pretty stringent standards. What it doesn't involve is some guy who just ate a slice of greasy pizza picking up the phone, dropping it, taking a factory screen protector, sticking it to his linty shirt a few times, slapping it on the screen, and then rubbing his fingerprints over the top.

If you bought a new car and opened the driver's door to see crumbs on the seat and a rip in the vinyl, wouldn't you be a little upset? A Passport is not a car, but it is still an expensive purchase nonetheless. When you buy new, you're paying the premium for new, not a possibly new but more than likely used item.

One more chance BlackBerry, that's all you get.

Then you bought it thru Amazon and not directly from Amazon.
    So it's the third party seller you should be getting mad with.
    Not Amazon and not BlackBerry.

If buying in the US, they have option to buy from Amazon warehouse for all three colors.
    I was quoting the receipt and then responding to another question, saying that I am familiar with Amazon Warehouse Deals which sells USED items. I did not purchase a Warehouse Deal Passport, I purchased brand new for $540.
    Last edited by Poi25; 06-20-15 at 09:46 PM.
    06-20-15 09:34 PM
    I see your basis, but there's no point in getting mad at Amazon. In reality, all Amazon is a warehouse.
    There's truth behind that. But in the case of third party vendors selling items on Amazon, which sounds like it was your case. Amazon may never even have physical possession of a product.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 09:50 PM
    There's truth behind that. But in the case of third party vendors selling items on Amazon, which sounds like it was your case. Amazon may never even have physical possession of a product.

Posted via CB10
    Fulfilled by Amazon means it came from an Amazon Warehouse. Sellers send products to Amazon warehouse and Amazon fulfills the order processing and shipment when an order is placed. If shenanigans happened prior, Amazon wouldn't really know, it's not their job to.

The tamper proof stickers were fully intact and the box underneath them had no marks, so I am inclined to think BlackBerry has some major QC issues. Has anyone who's purchased a refurb Passport ever received it with fully intact stickers on the box, with no signs of a previous set of stickers being there?

Clearly only 1 set of stickers has ever been on this box.
    06-20-15 09:56 PM
    It's just so strange that amazon would send a package with shrink wrapped. Are you sure it's not fulfilled by amazon via 3rd party seller? I know amazon sometimes send you stuff as a "NEW" when they're obviously used. It happened to me before. Please check the manufactured date on your device because you suppose to get the latest manufactured date device.
    06-20-15 09:57 PM
    That is a very good point.
    Sometimes those vendor differences can be fuzzy.

Was the item sold directly from Amazon (regardless of the delivery option) or from a 3rd party retailer?

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 10:07 PM
    Wow, that is a lot to go through.
    And you remain a loyal BlackBerry customer.
    Hats off to you, man! Really!
    You've had great patience for all this.

Weird because the passport does NOT come shrink wrapped.
    It has the two stickers on the box and the box is bare.

Also, don't hold your breath. BlackBerry's quality control is DISGUSTING.
    I had my passport replaced 5 times so far since buying in December. Doesn't bother me much but I will NEVER buy a BlackBerry without warranty, that's for sure.

For those curious :
    First passport has weird clearances, which I later realized they all have.
    Second had a bad volume up, no feedback
    Third got double typing
    Fourth (first refurbished) screen lifted after one day
    Fifth (second refurb) the volume up key is pushed in more than the other volume key, so it feels like you're clicking the metal frame when you hit it. Also it's much more loose feeling. I'm keeping this one for now though because I'm tired of replacing...
    06-20-15 10:10 PM
    Fulfilled by Amazon means it came from an Amazon Warehouse. Sellers send products to Amazon warehouse and Amazon fulfills the order processing and shipment when an order is placed. If shenanigans happened prior, Amazon wouldn't really know, it's not their job to.

The tamper proof stickers were fully intact and the box underneath them had no marks, so I am inclined to think BlackBerry has some major QC issues. Has anyone who's purchased a refurb Passport ever received it with fully intact stickers on the box, with no signs of a previous set of stickers being there?

Clearly only 1 set of stickers has ever been on this box.
    I'd don't see where you stated fulfilled by Amazon. But put that aside, it's not Amazons place to set the description of a third Party product, even if fulfilled by Amazon.

I bought my Passport New from Amazon them selves. Not a third party thru Amazon.
    And I can say, the sticker from the box can be peeled back without damage to them and the box.
    So great possibility that you were sold a Passport that someone already used.

Posted via CB10
    Weird. I've bought 6 Blackberrys and NEVER had any issues except 1 which was after 8 months. (q10 double type)

Weird because the passport does NOT come shrink wrapped.
    It has the two stickers on the box and the box is bare.

Also, don't hold your breath. BlackBerry's quality control is DISGUSTING.
    I had my passport replaced 5 times so far since buying in December. Doesn't bother me much but I will NEVER buy a BlackBerry without warranty, that's for sure.

For those curious :
    First passport has weird clearances, which I later realized they all have.
    Second had a bad volume up, no feedback
    Third got double typing
    Fourth (first refurbished) screen lifted after one day
    Fifth (second refurb) the volume up key is pushed in more than the other volume key, so it feels like you're clicking the metal frame when you hit it. Also it's much more loose feeling. I'm keeping this one for now though because I'm tired of replacing...

Posted via CB10
    Manufacturing date 11/24/14 with Bundle 10.3.0.

An old one
    06-20-15 10:15 PM
    You had too many bad luck with the passport op. I would have given up by now.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 12:01 AM
    I recently went through two Passports from Amazon (sold by Amazon), and tried to get a third due to loose volume keys, and they basically told me not to bother. Just send it back and forget the replacement plan. Just order another.

I was pretty pissed because I had lost overnight shipping costs. And I hadn't even used the Passports, just checked the volume keys, so the plastic wasn't even removed.

Anyway, it was frustrating. And I needed a phone. Instead, I decided to grab a Classic, and it seemed perfectly put together on first receipt.

Basically, BlackBerry has the worst QC and manufacturing standards in the industry. Probably lost more money on replacements than they saved on cutting corners. That said, I'm happy with my Classic, even if it's not as well made as my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 12:16 AM
    I recently went through two Passports from Amazon (sold by Amazon), and tried to get a third due to loose volume keys, and they basically told me not to bother. Just send it back and forget the replacement plan. Just order another.

I was pretty pissed because I had lost overnight shipping costs. And I hadn't even used the Passports, just checked the volume keys, so the plastic wasn't even removed.

Anyway, it was frustrating. And I needed a phone. Instead, I decided to grab a Classic, and it seemed perfectly put together on first receipt.

Basically, BlackBerry has the worst QC and manufacturing standards in the industry. Probably lost more money on replacements than they saved on cutting corners. That said, I'm happy with my Classic, even if it's not as well made as my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Wow now it worries me now. I already ordered one so let's hope mine is not faulty.
    06-21-15 12:56 AM
    In Poi25's other thread, someone claimed that selling through the carrier was a big scam by carriers and manufacturers to confuse warranty policies. Well, it seems like having the carrier as your first point of contact for replacement/service seems to have worked for you.

Carrier-branded BlackBerry's are warrantied through the carrier for the one year warranty. Factory unlocked devices sold through the likes of ShopBlackBerry, Amazon, B&H, etc. are warrantied through BlackBerry.
    In my country (or maybe whole EU), carrier must provide at least 2 years warranty regardless of the manufacturers warranty time. Which is good, as contract is usually 2 years and you are fully covered up during that time. Phones must be unlocked and also cheaper (I got my brand new Passport for 250 euros).

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 01:12 AM
    Yup BBRY has **** QC, I am on my third Z30, hence why I am hesitant to buy any more BBRY phones at the moment. Will wait to see if newer devices have better QC.
    06-21-15 01:26 AM
    You had too many bad luck with the passport op. I would have given up by now.

Posted via CB10
    I'm giving it one more shot. I'm really surprised I haven't given up either, but I like BBOS and the Passport. First device in a long time that I just want to keep using.

It's like I'm in an abusive relationship but keeping coming back. #whyistayed
    06-21-15 01:28 AM
    Amazon must replace this because it is a used one. I think someone just send it back.

I had this with a present for my daugher, pink stereo and it was used and we get a new one. I also received few weeks ago from Fxfolio a wrong screenprotector with no camera holes. They get complaines from amazone so they contact me how my screen protector was and if it fits. I just used it but it was not a real fit but it covers the screen part that is important and there was no camera hole. They send me 2 new one without costs.
    06-21-15 02:27 AM
    I think this is pretty poor. Good news is Amazon has good customer service and there shouldn't be a problem to return it right away, which I would do for sure. It looks like a refurbished unit being sold as "new" which is pretty bad anyways. I do not see a problem in selling refurbished units, as long as it is directly stated you actually buy a (discounted) "refurbished" device, not a "new" one.

When my Classic got replaced by BlackBerry, I was also rather shocked what I got back at first. I sent in the device in mint condition. What I got back was a badly repackaged Classic, with a factory installed protector film which had lots of dust, lint and other particles underneath. The whole device was dusty and actually dirty. Fortunatly nothing a good microfibre cloth and some Whoosh! couldn't fix. Still it's poor service to send out devices like this.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 02:38 AM
    Rather purchase from Shop.Blackberry, just got my Leap a couple days ago from them and packaging was immaculate.

Yeah, guess it's just bad luck. Its clearly evident that something is wrong. Best advice would be to return it for a full refund and purchase from Shop.Blackberry.
    Blackberry definitely has a higher standard than this and i have a feeling that Amazon got that device back from another customer and just repackaged it for you, hoping that you wouldn't send it back :P
    06-21-15 07:38 AM
    I had forgotten, I had gotten a third, and this third Passport I had gotten from Amazon had all of the plastic removed and placed under the phone. It had been clearly used, and just retaped. No cleanup on Amazon's part. And this one was supposed to be new.

Amazon basically didn't care. I talked to them on the phone and they said there was nothing they could do. Just send it back. Don't request another replacement because it's likely all of their stock has issues.

This was like a month ago. Then I got an email saying I need to review the Amazon return policies; this was a warning. Full disclosure: I spend a lot of money with Amazon and only return defective items, and only these BB10 devices lately. I am not a difficult customer, but this was enough of a fiasco to warn me through email.

Pretty disappointed in both Amazon and BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 08:21 AM
    I had a similar problem when we ordered my business partner's Passport from Amazon back when they first came out - the box was beat up and looked like it had been cut with a knife, and the phone packaging wasn't much better. Everything about it seemed funky and I too suspected it was a bad refurb. Then the phone's screen went dead as I was migrating the phone over from her old BlackBerry Torch and we had to send it back to Amazon. The replacement was perfect and clearly new. Last month I got my Passport from AT&T and had no such problems. Amazon is good about replacements - I would just have them send you a new one.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 08:45 AM
150 1234 ...