If you meant that sarcastically, ignore the rest.

If you contacted me over LinkedIn for a tech support issue instead of through the proper channels for Support, I would have ignored you altogether! Why should you spam him on LinkedIn for a non-job related thing? LinkedIn is NOT for contacting CEO's for personal support issues. SMH

The fact that you bring up Chen's wealth and influence makes you sound like a real ******. Chen talks with vastly more wealthy and influential people than you, so not sure what your exact point is.
    I contacted him offering help. He knows who I am. Didn't contact him for "tech support issues"

I am a CEO and the CEOs in my network always respond in person. The fact Chen didn't reply is an insult, particularly since he is a low end CEO compared to my main contacts.

My intention was to offer free support as I'm a security evangelist, but Chen had the audacity to have someone else reply.

As for you, whoever you are, I have no interest in anything you may ever say, do or think - so don't reply as I won't read it.

Interesting how you spring to the defence of Chen, whilst clearly having no understanding of the consequences of him stating he would consider using Android, the mobile OS with more malware than any other on Earth! Shows you are a mindless fanboy or a shill.

Can't wait for Chens Android BlackBerry to come out. My company will do a free of charge security analysis - just to help Chen show how "secure" it is....

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 01:35 AM
    I don't see it that way. Chen made an excellent point. BlackBerry makes secure phones and if android could me made secure then they would consider it. I didn't take that as they were going to do an droid. Does he have to clarify that statement next week too? Droids suck and can't be secured so why try and believe it can. How can you secure an os that is data mining the user all of he time?

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    06-24-15 06:59 AM
    I contacted Chen via linkedin and he had the nerve to have someone else contact me on his behalf. I have regular contact with people vastly more wealthy and influential than Chen, all communicate with me directly.

A fish rots from the head down.....

Our offer of support to BlackBerry is withdrawn.

Chen, you made a mistake in not having the decency to respond directly.

Blackberry.... 8 track cassettes and black and white TV.....

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    BCITMike likes this.
    06-24-15 10:45 AM
    I contacted him offering help. He knows who I am. Didn't contact him for "tech support issues"

I am a CEO and the CEOs in my network always respond in person. The fact Chen didn't reply is an insult, particularly since he is a low end CEO compared to my main contacts.

My intention was to offer free support as I'm a security evangelist, but Chen had the audacity to have someone else reply.

As for you, whoever you are, I have no interest in anything you may ever say, do or think - so don't reply as I won't read it.

Interesting how you spring to the defence of Chen, whilst clearly having no understanding of the consequences of him stating he would consider using Android, the mobile OS with more malware than any other on Earth! Shows you are a mindless fanboy or a shill.

Can't wait for Chens Android BlackBerry to come out. My company will do a free of charge security analysis - just to help Chen show how "secure" it is....

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    I'm glad to hear that you'll be doing a security analysis of BlackBerry phones. And will do one if and when BlackBerry releases an Android model (please post in the forums about this stuff, it's extremely interesting). And I don't doubt that you have a good company going. But your criticism of Chen on what is a public, fanboy-type forum sounds unprofessional.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 01:12 PM
    This is what I posted in another thread, and is my final conclusion of BlackBerry devices. Please keep in mind I love this phone and feel it's the best piece of kit on the market:

"I love this device to pieces. I do. But it's become glaringly clear that BlackBerry has some issues at the manufacturing and QC levels. If they're going to survive, they need to address them.

I purchased a brand new AT&T Passport, within 2 months it began double typing. Purchased a brand new Original Passport, arrived with scuff on the metal frame and looked use. Received another new Passport today that has a massive grease looking stain on the back, which I just read is a common stain issue.

I haven't had a Passport long enough to have screen lift, or bend, or one of the other maladies.

I'll also say that I have owned so many smartphones. Only had to warranty a device 1 time (Nexus 5 display panel went funky). Other than that, I've never returned a phone or had a defective one, cosmetic or otherwise. Most devices I buy used as well.

For as great as the Passport is, 100% of the ones I've owned had issues, surfacing immediately or within 60 days. It's getting quite old.

For $550, I shouldn't have to live with an oil stain on the back of my device, but I'm getting so ridiculously fed up with returning and buying new ones, I might just live with it.

I've never experienced this level of defect with any other electronics, ever."

BlackBizzle my nizzle // SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.798 // Cricket Wireless
    06-24-15 01:15 PM
    Your picture pretty much sums it up. That kind of talk is the type that gets security companies hacked by 14 year olds. Also, who let him out of the Armchair CEO forum?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 01:33 PM
    This is what I posted in another thread, and is my final conclusion of BlackBerry devices. Please keep in mind I love this phone and feel it's the best piece of kit on the market:

"I love this device to pieces. I do. But it's become glaringly clear that BlackBerry has some issues at the manufacturing and QC levels. If they're going to survive, they need to address them.

I purchased a brand new AT&T Passport, within 2 months it began double typing. Purchased a brand new Original Passport, arrived with scuff on the metal frame and looked use. Received another new Passport today that has a massive grease looking stain on the back, which I just read is a common stain issue.

I haven't had a Passport long enough to have screen lift, or bend, or one of the other maladies.

I'll also say that I have owned so many smartphones. Only had to warranty a device 1 time (Nexus 5 display panel went funky). Other than that, I've never returned a phone or had a defective one, cosmetic or otherwise. Most devices I buy used as well.

For as great as the Passport is, 100% of the ones I've owned had issues, surfacing immediately or within 60 days. It's getting quite old.

For $550, I shouldn't have to live with an oil stain on the back of my device, but I'm getting so ridiculously fed up with returning and buying new ones, I might just live with it.

I'm in agreement with you. Before BB10, I've never gone through so many devices in just two years. I've gone through probably 20 different BB10 devices, mostly Q10s and Passports. It's been obnoxious.

Before, I would buy an iPhone on launch or within a few weeks of launch. And that iPhone would last me 2 years. Sometimes longer. I think I had one issue with a defective iPhone 5 home button that was covered outside of warranty, and fixed and returned within a few days.

It's a testament to BlackBerry that I put up with this crap. I really love BB10 and BB's Qwerty tech. But it's getting tiring. The Classic I'm using may be the last BlackBerry phone I buy (unless something changes in waterloo). Just way to much thought and effort and time put into dealing with poor QC (and now the BB10 browser has gone from the best browser on the market to one that is nigh unusable on many popular websites). And then I feel bad when I return a BlackBerry phone because I know they're struggling. I don't want to feel bad about trying to find a decent copy of a phone that should have no issues anyway.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 02:16 PM
    It's been a wild couple of years with new style hardware and software. Things will be boring like crappie and android someday. Lol

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    06-24-15 02:21 PM
    I'm in agreement with you. Before BB10, I've never gone through so many devices in just two years. I've gone through probably 20 different BB10 devices, mostly Q10s and Passports. It's been obnoxious.

Before, I would buy an iPhone on launch or within a few weeks of launch. And that iPhone would last me 2 years. Sometimes longer. I think I had one issue with a defective iPhone 5 home button that was covered outside of warranty, and fixed and returned within a few days.

It's a testament to BlackBerry that I put up with this crap. I really love BB10 and BB's Qwerty tech. But it's getting tiring. The Classic I'm using may be the last BlackBerry phone I buy (unless something changes in waterloo). Just way to much thought and effort and time put into dealing with poor QC (and now the BB10 browser has gone from the best browser on the market to one that is nigh unusable on many popular websites). And then I feel bad when I return a BlackBerry phone because I know they're struggling. I don't want to feel bad about trying to find a decent copy of a phone that should have no issues anyway.

Posted via CB10
    I'll just tell you this, and it's testament to Apple's build quality. I worked in the skydiving industry and on 3 different occasions over the course of a few years, jumpers lost their iPhones on exit. The phone's fell 13,500 ft into the desert. Everytime, the person used find my iPhone and no joke, there wasn't a single scratch on the device.

It was really incredible.
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-24-15 02:27 PM

Do you know if red or white passport have stain too? You're not going to return your current device because of stain yea?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 02:44 PM

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    *eyeroll*

You're upset that you are taking this as disrespect as opposed to the response itself. Waaah. Give me a break.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    06-24-15 02:45 PM
    ChrisBP I don't really see the problem with not responding in person. It would have been bad if he didn't respond at all. Even with respect to the high-level circle of contacts you claim to keep, surely your ego can't be so lofty that you would not deign to speak with "support staff." I thought people who worked in the upper echelons were supposed to be measured in their responses to negative feedback? (which this is not IMO but your opinion is what matters)

Maybe he just took your message seriously and dedicated one of his guys to work with you on an ongoing basis so that you could be thorough in presenting your ideas. This person would then be directly able to get BlackBerry staff to implement your ideas etc etc and the Chief could read a final report from his representative and just sign the dotted line….

Anyway, I hope you cool your temper and realize that your skills and accomplishments are self-evident and don't need the validation of being presented to the Chief. We would certainly appreciate the assets and talents of a security expert in reinforcing BlackBerry's security focus.
    06-24-15 03:14 PM
    Had the same issue. Bought three BlackBerry Passport from amazon. All looks second hand. The forth one came in as brand new. Amazon insists that they were all new. I regret to say that they were definitely not new..

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 03:18 PM
    Do you know if red or white passport have stain too? You're not going to return your current device because of stain yea?

Posted via CB10
    I don't think nearly as bad at the black, but you should do some research here on the forums.

I'm sick of returning these devices, so I'm just gonna live with this one. Sad, because it truly makes a $550 phone look terrible.

If iPhones had issues like this the ENTIRE industry would be grabbing their pitchforks to demand refunds and recalls.

But people here immediately take BlackBerry's side and say "Oh, it was the vendor who did X, Y, Z to you device."

Sorry, but I refuse to believe that at this point. It seems with each new Passport I own I learn about a new defect. This has never happened with any other device.

krazyatom likes this.
    06-24-15 04:02 PM
    So sad that op had to go through this. I had like 5 passports and they were all great. Maybe I was lucky!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 04:24 PM
    I don't think nearly as bad at the black, but you should do some research here on the forums.

I'm sick of returning these devices, so I'm just gonna live with this one. Sad, because it truly makes a $550 phone look terrible.

If iPhones had issues like this the ENTIRE industry would be grabbing their pitchforks to demand refunds and recalls.

But people here immediately take BlackBerry's side and say "Oh, it was the vendor who did X, Y, Z to you device."

Sorry, but I refuse to believe that at this point. It seems with each new Passport I own I learn about a new defect. This has never happened with any other device.

If you don't think iPhones have issues, you'd be wrong. I think the general difference in sounding the alarm is the Apple Care and the ability to walk in and replace a phone with little or no hassle (whereas you're dealing with delays from shipping with BB and over the phone instead of face to face). You'd be a lot cooler about all this if you got the phone at 1pm, took it local and had a replacement in hand at 2pm without money leaving your pocket. Take Apple Care out of the equation, you get a lot more loud complainers and problems get more visibility.

Also, the more margin your product has, the better the RMA/replacement experience.
    06-24-15 05:15 PM
    If you don't think iPhones have issues, you'd be wrong. I think the general difference in sounding the alarm is the Apple Care and the ability to walk in and replace a phone with little or no hassle (whereas you're dealing with delays from shipping with BB and over the phone instead of face to face). You'd be a lot cooler about all this if you got the phone at 1pm, took it local and had a replacement in hand at 2pm without money leaving your pocket. Take Apple Care out of the equation, you get a lot more loud complainers and problems get more visibility.

Also, the more margin your product has, the better the RMA/replacement experience.
    I agree with your points, and realize that, even though 100% of mine have had issues, others have purchased multiple problem-free Passports. So, in that sense, my experiences are at the far end of the bell curve.

I don't know what the answer or true reasoning is, but all I know is I've been purchasing smartphones, computers, and tons of other electronics, 99% of them used, for a very long time now. I really can't remember any of them failing, and I only remember my old Lenovo T400 laptop and my Nexus 5 needing repair. But 3 new Passports, all with manufacturing, QC, or hardware defects.
    06-24-15 05:21 PM

That is exactly true. Apple products also have issues but the ease of walking in a store to get your replacement makes the customer happy.

To add perspective to the distribution process, my company used to import I.T. Products into our country (computers, laptops, peripherals, although we never imported smartphones). Distributors often get 5% to 10% allowance for returns in their shipment. So for examples, if we order 10,000 laptops, the manufacturer would ship us 10,500 laptops with the understanding that the 500pcs will be our buffer for returns (to save on shipping cost of returns). So when our customer returns a defective item we draw from that 5-10% buffer. So essentially we handle the returns and some manufacturers don't even ask us to ship them back the returned items, some ship the parts needed to repair it.

At the end of the period, some distributors sell back the defective items (depends on what the defect is), as a Class B item at a lower cost. And some do also sell the buffer for a profit.

Am not saying this is what the distributor who posted in Amazon did. But if his inventory handling is poor he could easily mix up a returned item back into the inventory. The fact that the vendor did not list that the Passport he is selling has a UK plug means that the vendor is prone to missing out the details in his listing intentionally or not.

Also, buying a brand new item significantly lower than the SRP is usually a red sign. How can the seller make a profit? Is his product stolen? Is his product refurbished passed on as new? Etc. A selling price slightly lower than SRP just means that the seller is shaving off part of his profit to move the goods faster. But if the price is significantly lower, it is a red sign.

So I do agree that making the return process painless gives the impression that the product doesn't have issues. Since a happy customer tends not to complain. IMO that is where the bigger problem of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    BCITMike and Poi25 like this.
    06-24-15 07:42 PM
    You are so funny, informed and clever. I just don't know how to respond.

Your reply couldn't be more naive and meaningless unless you had put "LOL" at the end of it.

Here is an idea, if you have something to say, like I do, say it or don't bother.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 01:23 AM
    Hi, if Chen does release an Android BlackBerry, we will conduct a comparative efficacy assessment comparing it against BlackBerry 10, ios, and vanilla Android.

In terms of Chen, perhaps he should have had the common decency to reply to messages.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-25-15 01:30 AM
    Hi, if Chen does release an Android BlackBerry, we will conduct a comparative efficacy assessment comparing it against BlackBerry 10, ios, and vanilla Android.

In terms of Chen, perhaps he should have had the common decency to reply to messages.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    Whatever's going on between you and Chen should probably stay between you and Chen. Posting it in a public forum isn't going to do any good, and it could hurt you.

Just saying, not taking sides.
    krazyatom and JanuarJaguar like this.
    06-25-15 01:48 AM
    Whatever's going on between you and Chen should probably stay between you and Chen. Posting it in a public forum isn't going to do any good, and it could hurt you.

Just saying, not taking sides.
    For the record, my position is this. 1) it's up to Chen if BlackBerry releases an Android based product as he is the CEO, therefore he has the power to choose. 2) If BlackBerry do release an Android product, we will include it in a comparative efficacy assessment free of charge. We will do this out of a sense of curiosity and duty to those interested in security. 3) I can't see how this would hurt us in any way ( we would release all info on the test to all participants and provide all of the stimulus workload etc)

I'm sure the wider security community and particularly existing BlackBerry users would be interested in the results.

This said, it could be the case that no Android based devise will be released. We will wait and see.

I won't be answering any more questions on the subject. Just wait and see if BlackBerry release an Android product, then await our assessment.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 02:08 AM
    New Passport is perfect. Hooray.
    Good to hear, Poi. About time they did a solid for you and set you up with a proper device, man. You got a new Passport and I jumped the ship. My parts supplier made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

I traded my Passport for two brand new Z30s. I'm typing this up on one of them right now.

You stood your ground and ended up with a positive income. I really hope Blackberry improves their service system and just the overall way they deal with customers. Just as I found the Passport a great device, this Z30 is an excellent performer as well. BlackBerry makes great devices, but their service is hit and miss. No one with legitimate problems with their hardware should not have to go through hell fire to get their issues resolved.

Enjoy it, man. Hopefully it works out better than your previous experiences.

-- Blackberry Z30, VMO, Toronto
    06-25-15 02:30 AM
    You are so funny, informed and clever. I just don't know how to respond.

Your reply couldn't be more naive and meaningless unless you had put "LOL" at the end of it.

Here is an idea, if you have something to say, like I do, say it or don't bother.

Posted via CB10
    I was aiming for the same level of childishness to match your "I'm taking my ball and going home" act. Apparently I succeeded, as you saw fit to respond. I'm dreadfully sorry that Mr. Chen wounded your inner child by failing to give you the proper attention that you so clearly deserve.

I won't be answering any more questions on the subject. Just wait and see if BlackBerry release an Android product, then await our assessment.
    Was anybody honestly asking?

Richard
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    06-25-15 07:10 AM
    Was anybody honestly asking?
    I pretty much agree with you there. It did seem like a random shift in the conversation.
    06-25-15 02:57 PM
150 ... 456