I'm giving it one more shot. I'm really surprised I haven't given up either, but I like BBOS and the Passport. First device in a long time that I just want to keep using.

It's like I'm in an abusive relationship but keeping coming back. #whyistayed
    I'm glad you're sticking around. Fortunately, Amazon's customer service is exemplary and the replacement process should be seamless. I hope the next package is pristine.

I've noticed a lot of replies expressing "no to refurbished!" and it's worth noting that once a device is returned to the manufacturer, they can repair/refurbish it and send it out as a "new" replacement. Apple is known to do this and it is argued to be preferable because the device has been given the "twice over." Naturally, repackaging must also be impeccable (yes, the refurbishing room must be pizza-free… lol).

Somewhere between the perfectionist and forgiving is a nexus of standards that is good enough for everyone.
    06-21-15 09:10 AM
    Dam, that hurts!
    06-21-15 09:31 AM
    No offense but I don't buy any electronic gadgetry without first inspecting it physically first. That's a rule of thumb I never break. There's a saying in my first language which basically translates into "what's in my hand is no lie"...except it rhymes so it sounds much cooler.

You guys place way too much trust on these shipping companies employing minimum wage workers who don't give 2 flying ****s about the quality of your device. In fact I rarely order anything off ebay or amazon ...unless it's a t-shirt or something....and even those rarely arrive as advertised lol
    wincyUt likes this.
    06-21-15 09:43 AM
    While Digital River has its problems with customer service, what you wanted from them was unreasonable. They offered to replace it in two ways: 1. You return the defective unit first and they send you a new one. (This was unacceptable to you because you only had one phone.) 2. They take your credit card number as collateral, send you a new one and have you return the defective unit afterward. You wanted them to send you a new unit without submitting a credit card number as collateral. Even Apple only offers choices 1 and 2. They don't have a choice like what you wanted:

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-su...ersiw-en/#mn_p

Ultimately you got BlackBerry to step in, though it's unclear whether they asked you for a credit card number or not. Maybe they were nice enough to not require one, but it would be an exceptional case. They're not likely to offer that to everyone.
    You should read my post again.
    They never gave me the option of sending the phone and take my credit card number as collateral. They asked me to place a new order instead. I didn't want to do it as I already had a bad time with digital River and read so many negative posts about them after receiving the phone.

BlackBerry dint do it either. They sent me the phone and asked me to ship the other one at my earliest convenience. I took a week and sent it back.

If it had happened with an apple's phone, you can go and exchange it right away and don't have to wait for a week for the replacement. BlackBerry is just online in the US.

Posted via the amazing 'Red' BlackBerry Passport
    06-21-15 11:09 AM
    You got someones return, most likely through a reseller channel. Send that crap back with pictures and Amazon will take care of it - their customer service is stellar.

My DR Passport bought on release day did not have ANY shrinkwrap - just the two security stickers on the box. It was flawless, not even a spec of dust anywhere.
    06-21-15 11:18 AM
    Looks like a digital river 'new' model LOL.

They have been known or atleast accused of passing off refurbished units as new.

Alternative is Amazon but then if you need to make avail of advance replacement, it I believe doesn't apply to non digital river units.

Pick you poison

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 12:09 PM
    Return it for another. That's unacceptable and you shouldn't be forced to keep a device that was listed as new and very clearly isn't.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 01:09 PM
    There seems to be no way to win, the options to buy a BlackBerry device are horrible. You either:

- Buy directly from ShopBB website and possibly have them screw up your order
    - Buy from Amazon and possibly not get a new device
    - Buy from a carrier store and get a locked device

06-21-15 04:46 PM
    Blackberry is trying really very hard to close their devices business.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 04:48 PM
    Aside from a plain box my AT&T Q10 was immaculately "refurbed." Looked it over carefully. Well done AT&T, thank you!
    06-21-15 05:16 PM
    No consolation to OP... but this sort of things happens in retail all the time... product is returned to retailer.. some one screws up and and instead of sending to supplier restocks it... very common in retail stores and especially online... only good thing is OP bought it from Amazon... they have a good track record for customer service overall... again does not help the OP when you drop that kind of coin.. good luck....
    06-21-15 06:26 PM
    No consolation to OP... but this sort of things happens in retail all the time... product is returned to retailer.. some one screws up and and instead of sending to supplier restocks it... very common in retail stores and especially online... only good thing is OP bought it from Amazon... they have a good track record for customer service overall... again does not help the OP when you drop that kind of coin.. good luck....
    Yea, I'm not too upset. It's just become quite an adventure to get a working Passport.

The "brand new," used Passport will be on its way back to Amazon. Ordered another which should be here on Tuesday. Hopefully, this one is in fact new and I can get back to using a working Passport.
    06-21-15 06:41 PM
    It's incredible that this just keeps happening to people, how many of these threads are we going to have?

OP you aren't alone: heck of a way to ship out your flagship device BlackBerry. Now we have this happening from multiple vendors.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11583852
    06-21-15 07:26 PM
    Send it back and buy from blackberry | B&H Photo Video an official Blackberry reseller. Better than Amazon or Digital River! 100% Blackberry partnered and supported.

They also have NEW White Z30 in stock. Digital River doesn't!
    Last edited by Zeratul57; 06-22-15 at 08:17 AM.
    vanmat likes this.
    06-21-15 07:46 PM
    I really don't know what to say about this. Maybe I'm being unreasonable (I sure don't think I am, but please let me know if I am)? I just cut the shrink wrap off of a brand new Passport I bought on Amazon to replace the double typer, and I was greeted with this:

• Loose, jangly volume keys
    • Scuff on the metal frame
    • Plastic factory screen protector with fingerprints, dust underneath, and lint? on the tab where you remove it
    • Very beat up box internals

Really, what the ****? Now I can see why Amazon pulled this item for investigation.

I might just have bad luck with this device

Attachment 358682
    Attachment 358684
    Attachment 358679
    Attachment 358683
    Attachment 358680
    Attachment 358677
    Attachment 358681
    Amazon does open and check electronics before shipping maybe the checker had dirty hands!

 Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.2.798 Rogers Wireless
    06-22-15 12:44 AM
    Amazon does open and check electronics before shipping maybe the checker had dirty hands!

 Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.2.798 Rogers Wireless
    No they don't. You're trying to tell me for every brand new electronic item Amazon sells, they open a factory sealed box, check out the insides, handle it, close it back up, and reseal it with the same factory tamper proof stickers and/or shrink wrap?

And they somehow do that without leaving a single mark or any evidence?

What are you smoking?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-22-15 12:55 AM
    I don't fully trust Amazon anymore because I have a hard time figuring out who is filling orders -- Amazon or some anonymous third-party.

That said, the Passport has so many QC issues that I think it is an ominous sign for the company. Whoever built these for them did a careless job. My PP has a bad screen but I not dare send it back because I can live with it.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 01:32 AM
    You should read my post again.
    They never gave me the option of sending the phone and take my credit card number as collateral. They asked me to place a new order instead. I didn't want to do it as I already had a bad time with digital River and read so many negative posts about them after receiving the phone.
    Placing a new order and then returning the defective device after effectively does what you wanted: have full use of the defective device while you were waiting for the new one.

What you ultimately wanted was for BlackBerry, itself, to send you a new one. That doesn't mean their policy was unfair, as you're implying.

BlackBerry dint do it either. They sent me the phone and asked me to ship the other one at my earliest convenience. I took a week and sent it back.
    What BlackBerry did for you is an exception to the general process. The OP can't expect that to happen for him/her.

In your thread, you said you considered keeping the defective unit to punish Digital River for sending you a defective unit. I'm glad you ultimately didn't do that.

If it had happened with an apple's phone, you can go and exchange it right away and don't have to wait for a week for the replacement. BlackBerry is just online in the US.
    What you're saying is only true if you live near an Apple store; that's why Apple has the exchange program via mail.

In the U.S., if you buy from a carrier, the carrier takes care of the exchange, same as Apple.
    06-22-15 04:12 AM
    Sorry to read that.
    Seems that you have (great you took the pictures as proof) everything to make Amazon shipping you a *real* brand new one.
    P.S: none of my 2 passport went wrapped in plastic bag, FWIW.
    06-22-15 05:22 AM
    Return it and get refund asap.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 06:01 AM
    There seems to be no way to win, the options to buy a BlackBerry device are horrible. You either:

- Buy directly from ShopBB website and possibly have them screw up your order
    - Buy from Amazon and possibly not get a new device
    - Buy from a carrier store and get a locked device

Or buy from B&H Photo and get exactly what you paid for.
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    06-22-15 07:07 AM
    OP maybe you should change where and how you buy your BlackBerry devices. Your title is very misleading because it's not BlackBerry that sold you the product directly.
    I own a few BlackBerry devices and never had your purported issues. Maybe you are a very unlucky person. Something doesn't add up, whether it's intentional or unintentional, consciously or unconsciously.
    06-22-15 07:45 AM
    Or buy from B&H Photo and get exactly what you paid for.
    Tried this. Passports from BH come with UK-plug USB adapters. So...

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 10:21 AM
    BlackBerry has got to be careful with this kind of bad thing if it wants to stay in business. It looks like refurbished/old Passport to me.
    06-22-15 11:10 AM
    Tried this. Passports from BH come with UK-plug USB adapters. So...

Posted via CB10
    Really? And your in the US? Pics or it didn't happen.
    06-22-15 11:44 AM
150 12345 ...