Hi I just like to know if it is better to charge the blackberry. Passport up too 100% or less than a full charge?

Posted via CB10
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    11-17-19 11:06 AM
    Hi I just like to know if it is better to charge the blackberry. Passport up too 100% or less than a full charge?

Posted via CB10
    Older batteries fair better at 97 % charge than 100 that way you do avoid overcooking most of the time
    11-17-19 11:08 AM
    Wow that was fast. Thank you

Posted via CB10
    11-17-19 11:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    Read somewhere that you should charge between 20% to 80% only for regular charging and we should charge to 100% occasionally.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-19 11:10 AM
    Read somewhere that you should charge between 20% to 80% only for regular charging and we should charge to 100% occasionally.

Posted via CB10
    This is correct. Lithium ion batteries perform/last best when they are kept between 20 and 80% however, in real life situations, that ideal is rarely possible.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    11-17-19 12:04 PM
    Never possible for me.

Posted via my Passport
    11-17-19 12:23 PM
    This is correct. Lithium ion batteries perform/last best when they are kept between 20 and 80% however, in real life situations, that ideal is rarely possible.
    While reading this post, I realized my classic battery was just dropped to 20%. So I have immediately charged it and now using key2
    11-17-19 12:23 PM
    Is it possible for a third party app to limit the charging to 80% on the device?
    11-17-19 06:46 PM
    Not sure a working app exists for the Passport. Would also like to know.

Posted via my Passport
    11-17-19 09:35 PM
    Not sure a working app exists for the Passport. Would also like to know.

Posted via my Passport
    There isn't one and it would not be a great idea anyway. It would be of marginal help to extend the life of a battery and is only one of a number of determinants to long battery life. The one absolute best thing you can do to prevent premature degradation of a lithium ion battery is to LIMIT the number of times that the charge sinks below 10%. My Passport OG bought in Oct 2014 now has 1062 cycle count and still checks out as good leaving me with about 40% at the end of each day. It has been and continues to be outstanding.
    Ecm likes this.
    11-17-19 09:45 PM
    I keep my 6t between 40% and 90% most of the time. I keep meaning to build a Tasker profile to let me know when it's at 80% but I just haven't gotten around to it.
    11-17-19 10:41 PM
    I think it would be great to have some kind of app that could limit the charging, unless the user knew that they needed a full charge.

My iPhone XR generally is at about 60% - 70% at the end of the day, I 'd be fine if it would charge to 80% and then the next day I'd use it down to 40% - 50%. Few times that I'm going to need more, I'd know to do a full charge. If that would extend the battery life to five or six years it would be worth it. If all it would do is add a few days.... not so much.
    11-18-19 02:26 PM
    If that would extend the battery life to five or six years it would be worth it.
    Not even close. It would only be a slight increase in charge cycles.

for anyone interested in nerd battery info https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries
    11-18-19 02:46 PM
    Not even close. It would only be a slight increase in charge cycles.

for anyone interested in nerd battery info https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries
    Which is why no OEM bothers with such a feature.... quick charging is bad for a battery, but again it's probable a minimum amount over three or four years.
    11-19-19 03:21 PM
    Which is why no OEM bothers with such a feature.... quick charging is bad for a battery, but again it's probable a minimum amount over three or four years.
    ^^^^^Agreed and a 3rd party app in my view would just be fluff.
    11-19-19 04:01 PM
    I charge it between 20-85%. Unfortunately, I was not able to do so when I got the Passport. The battery has been abused from time to time when I use the camera. The last few months I switched to the aforementioned charging pattern and do it over the USB port of an obsolete Linux laptop. I just set the laptop to power off after 90 minutes via terminal. I even prefer to keep the charge between 30%-70%. The disadvantage is that it takes time to do that but there's no issue since I don't use the phone late evening. I also have the habit to tether my data connection via USB so I enjoy both browsing and healthy charging. When charging over USB the battery does not even get slightly warm. So, @brookie229 is right saying this is just one of the determinants for battery degradation. Quick drain due to excessive use of the camera can make it drop from 90% to 20% within an hour (I have screenshots of my battery consumption graph and they look... terrible!). Such regular use may heavily impact its lifespan. Fortunately, it performs quite well with no detectable capacity issues.

I calibrated the battery yesterday leaving it at 1% and then charge to 100%, as it started to provide false readings and although there was sufficient juice in it, the phone prevented me from using the camera flash / torch at 32%. Could this be due to exposing the phone to very low temperatures outside?
    01-15-20 01:14 PM
    See below:
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    01-15-20 01:35 PM
    Once I had an interesting discussion with the developers of Accubattery. I challenged some of their recommendations included in the Help and mentioned Battery University (BU) as a reliable source. They argued and pointed out to some alleged mistakes in that article BU-808 from the BU site.
    I just looked again at Accubattery site and found out that they updated their recommendations and almost agreed with BU:
    https://accubattery.zendesk.com/hc/e...article-BU-808
    01-19-20 03:27 PM