My friend's Passport was submerged into a swimming pool a couple of weeks ago. The phone seems completely dead with the only sign of life being the solid red LED when plugged into the laptop. Aside from that nothing, no laptop detection, no power . Just a solid red LED.

I'm familiar with opening up phones so I can always try doing that. My plan of action was to open it up and basically taking out the motherboard and clean it out with some alcohol.

Any other suggestions?
    07-12-15 03:24 AM
    After opening it and letting it dry out without removing the motherboard, maybe try submerging it in a sack of rice for a few days and see if that works.
    07-12-15 04:15 AM
    Took it apart and rinsed some of the internals with alcohol and put it back together. Nothing changes. Solid red light when plugged in and nothing else.
    07-12-15 11:22 AM
    I would put it in a bowl of rice as well. Too bad you waited 2 weeks with your question. I've seen few phones revived with the rice treatment when acted immediately after the accident. Good luck and let us know the results. BTW, poor Passport.
    07-12-15 11:40 AM
    Sorry, there's no chance at all.

I walked into a hot tub with my Bold holstered to my trunks and fell off of a jetski into the ocean with my Q10 in my cargo shorts.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 11:47 AM
    before the rice thing.... rinse it off with DI (distilled) water. It's the extra minerals in water that shorts out the circuits. Rinsing them off and waiting for it to dry completely is better than drying it with them still coating the electrical parts

pool water is worse too with all the chlorine and p.iss
    07-12-15 11:54 AM
    Try new silica packets instead of rice, the starch just gets everywhere

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    07-12-15 12:17 PM
    I quickly misread the title and thought it said "Chances of receiving a dunked..." I thought the OP was referring to people (like me) who received a new Passport that was actually used, but was asking about a very strange and quite specific situation.

Sorry about the Passport, that thing is long gone. I'll buy it for parts.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    07-12-15 12:22 PM
    Not much has changed since I've reassembled it. Phone is not powering on so it's safe to say that the device is done. I've soaked all the internals with Isopropyl Alcohol but nothing, no sign of any life except the red led - what does a solid red LED even mean?

At this point I doubt a bag of rice or silica packets would help?
    07-12-15 02:10 PM
    Not much has changed since I've reassembled it. Phone is not powering on so it's safe to say that the device is done. I've soaked all the internals with Isopropyl Alcohol but nothing, no sign of any life except the red led - what does a solid red LED even mean?

I doubt it, too. For future reference, if the phone gets wet, don't attempt to turn it on before drying it out with rice or silica gel packets (recommended). Turning the phone on just introduces electrical current through a wet environment. That could fry anything that potentially still worked.
    07-12-15 02:16 PM

There was a time when I considered buying a cheap, water-damaged q10 and here's some links I found at the time:

http://www.instructables.com/answers...SWIMING-IN-SA/

http://www.ehow.com/how_8701068_rid-...ion-phone.html

Hope it helps

07-12-15 02:20 PM
    I doubt it, too. For future reference, if the phone gets wet, don't attempt to turn it on before drying it out with rice or silica gel packets (recommended). Turning the phone on just introduces electrical current through a wet environment. That could fry anything that potentially still worked.
    I would have definitely not attempted to turn it on, which is apparently what my friend did not too long after getting submerged.

There was a time when I considered buying a cheap, water-damaged q10 and here's some links I found at the time:

HOW CAN I FIX A CELL PHONE THAT WENT SWIMING IN SALT WATER.?

How to Get Rid of Corrosion in a Phone (7 Steps) | eHow

Hope it helps

Thanks for the links. I will give it another shot this weekend and let it soak in alcohol longer before I reassemble it.

As for the battery, anyone know If leaving the battery unplugged (and connecting phone to power) would make any difference?
    07-13-15 12:52 AM
    It is dead. Time to move from denial to acceptance and grieve for your loss!

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 02:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    I would say he's past denial and in the bargaining phase of Passport grief. "If I only soak the phone in alcohol for longer......"
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    07-13-15 02:20 AM
    Took it apart and rinsed some of the internals with alcohol and put it back together. Nothing changes. Solid red light when plugged in and nothing else.
    You killed any chance of reviving it doing that. Why would you try to fix a wet phone by making it wetter with a solution that should never come in contact with a phone?
    07-13-15 05:39 AM
    You killed any chance of reviving it doing that. Why would you try to fix a wet phone by making it wetter with a solution that should never come in contact with a phone?
    I've done the same with my 9700 and 9780 and both worked perfectly fine. Isopropyl Alcohol is not water. In fact, many people use this method to clear out minerals and other things that may have latched on the internals.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 08:59 AM
    Because....chemistry
    07-13-15 10:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm accept your loss
    Rest in peace Passport

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 10:30 AM
    Aaaw I feel for ya bro! Usually water damage is permanent and bricks devices!

 Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2204 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    07-14-15 10:01 AM