05-21-17 05:59 AM
63 123
tools
    Which BlackBerry dept email sent you this reply? I don't see any header information!!

Posted from my Kick@ss AT&T Passport.
    It was their tier 3 tech support which I suspect is Indian based. I believe this is also the reason for the spelling and grammatical errors.

What you see is a cropped screen shot to protect my privacy.

I am currently without my passport and back using my Z10 so please show some compassion rather than calling me out.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 04:09 PM
    It was their tier 3 tech support which I suspect is Indian based. I believe this is also the reason for the spelling and grammatical errors.

I am currently without my passport and back using my Z10 so please show some compassion rather than calling me out.

Posted via CB10
    JamieWilson01, rest assured that I wasn't calling you out, I'm just wanting to understand which BlackBerry department is actually offering help... hang in there!!

JamieWilson01 likes this.
    05-26-15 09:19 AM
    If it is tier 3 it can only be BTSS, BlackBerry Technical support subscription (paid), and if really tier 3, it is premium

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 09:29 AM
    Why don't you take a video of this double-typing problem and send it on to blackberry USA?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 10:11 AM
    I tried downgrading to 10.3.0. The problem reappeared within hours of starting to use the OS. Anecdotally it seemed less severe than PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576, but I only tried it for a bit before wanting to go back to my setup.

In the process I reloaded 10.3.1 from scratch then restored my backup. Now Android Player keeps asking for permissions every so often. It's a pain, but a complete rebuild seems like it would be worse.

Posted via CB10
    Android player asking for permission is something I get as well after restoring my files to a replacement phone. It seems to have stopped after a while.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 11:03 AM
    My Z30 does double typing sometimes as well, and there's no physical keyboard.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    thymaster likes this.
    05-26-15 11:07 AM
    My Z30 does double typing sometimes as well, and there's no physical keyboard.

Try reloading the OS

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 12:30 PM
    My Z30 sometimes does double, triple, or multiple typing, and there's no keyboard. It's a software problem

06-06-15 11:10 AM
    My Z30 sometimes does double, triple, or multiple typing, and there's no keyboard. It's a software problem

Mercury poisoning?
    06-06-15 02:00 PM

There only proves that there is a software double typing problem, it doesn't prove there is no hardware double typing problem.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    06-06-15 02:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hahahaha....what makes u think that Indians are horrible in spelling and grammar?

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 02:34 PM
    My PP keyboard is all kindsa messed up, ever since upgrading to 10.3.2. I never used to get double typing but now the keys on the right side (iop, jkl, bnm) have started double typing now and then. Not a huge deal but it gets pretty annoying when entering in passwords.

Also, my D key is lifting, although it still functions perfectly. Pretty disconcerting to look at however, especially in the dark because I can see the light leaking through the crack :/

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    06-06-15 02:37 PM
    Also, my D key is lifting, although it still functions perfectly. Pretty disconcerting to look at however, especially in the dark because I can see the light leaking through the crack :/

WTF? I'd get that replaced ASAP... Are you holding a warranty? Hopefully yes... No way my OCD would allow that to skate... Back in the day I'd have located a keyboard and replaced it myself, but BB10 hardware I'm not nearly as confident messing with as legacy devices... Definitely would replace it though... Like yesterday...

Posted via CB10
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    06-06-15 02:47 PM
    WTF? I'd get that replaced ASAP... Are you holding a warranty? Hopefully yes... No way my OCD would allow that to skate... Back in the day I'd have located a keyboard and replaced it myself, but BB10 hardware I'm not nearly as confident messing with as legacy devices... Definitely would replace it though... Like yesterday...

Posted via CB10
    Sadly this phone was purchased when it was released (October '14) so it's no longer under warranty. I bought it second hand from my sister since I couldn't afford to buy in one lump sum and she said she'd take payments. Even she was annoyed when I showed the key lifting, and said she'd never have sold it to me if she noticed the defect. Kinda worrisome cause it looks like dust and other crud can get stuck in there super easily. But still functions better than the keys on the right side lol

06-06-15 05:43 PM
    Do you by any chance....

...all use cases???? Wrapped around the passport I mean
    06-06-15 05:49 PM
    I have been reading the double typing threads for a while, and finally thought I would add my 2 cents. I am an engineer and design embedded products. Firstly, I have also experienced the problem on the PP, so I am not denying it.

The keyboard problem seems to me to be twofold. There appears to be a debounce problem with the physical keyboard. As we get more used to it, we press the keys in a lighter way. Switches "bounce" as they are activated. This is normally very fast, however in electrical terms, it is noticeable. Normally, the hardware has a filter to ignore the bounce, but as the switch wears, it can bounce more, or slower. This is where software comes in. Nobody can type at say 1000 characters per second, so any key that comes in faster than this can be assumed to be a bounce. Software will ignore it. The trick is to find the speed at which to ignore, or allow. When switches wear, this number may change. This is the software debounce filter.

All physical switches bounce - what seems to be happening is that the debounce hardware/software isn't catching the bounce. A software fix could easily lengthen the debounce time which would catch the physical bounce. Replacing the PP will fix the symptom, but it will happen again when the keyboard wears. The true fix is to relax the software denounce time. I'm sure BlackBerry knows this, and the next OS will address it.

Hope this helps,

PS I have extensively programmed debounce filters on robots to fix this very problem. Although ultimately a hardware problem, the fix is in software.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 11:21 PM
    Hahahaha....what makes u think that Indians are horrible in spelling and grammar?

Posted via CB10
    It wasn't a racial slur Was trying to point out that it was translation problem.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 07:15 AM
    'm sure BlackBerry knows this, and the next OS will address it.

Hope this helps,

PS I have extensively programmed debounce filters on robots to fix this very problem. Although ultimately a hardware problem, the fix is in software.

Posted via CB10
    I'm very happy you have all this experience with debounccing robbots, but pleasee explain why:

a) the frequenccy of double typing gets worse and worse by the day
    Bb) new letters beginn to double type at random

I hate to say it, but BlackBerry hasn't fixed ****. 10.3.1 10.3.2.680 10.3.2.798 and the double typing issue has beccome worse and worse.

When typing a text, the same word sometimes double types three times in a row, causing me to delete and retype each ****inng time. It's becoming really, rreally irritating.

So I'm supposed to believe, based on your statements, that a large percentage of my Passport's keyboard switches began to fail at the 45 day mark like clockwork? One after another after another, spreadinnng like a sicckness?

Sadly this phone was purchased when it was released (October '14) so it's no longer under warranty.
    It's beenn 7 months. 7 months < 1 year. You're still within warranty. Arm yourself with the original purchase receipt and get ready to fight BlackBerry technical support. They're treating me like I'm stupid. I gave them an ultimatum on Friday: Onnn Monday they're losing a customer if they don't send me a brand new device. I put my faith in their company, and not only is my hardware failing after less than 2 months, but they're giving me the runaround and doing everything in their power to not give me a replacement. It's not like I enjoy the process of waiting on hold for hours or making up problems that don't exist.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    Last edited by Poi25; 06-07-15 at 08:49 AM.
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    06-07-15 08:31 AM
    My PP keyboard is all kindsa messed up, ever since upgrading to 10.3.2. I never used to get double typing but now the keys on the right side (iop, jkl, bnm) have started double typing now and then. Not a huge deal but it gets pretty annoying when entering in passwords.

Frankly, I just cannot contain such physical deformities in a mobile device, that too, a BlackBerry. I own and use 4 BlackBerry devices and this is indeed a revelation.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 08:57 AM
    I'm very happy you have all this experience with debouncing robots, but please explain why:

a) the frequency of double typing gets worse and worse by the day
    b) new letters begin to double type at random

I hate to say it, but BlackBerry hasn't fixed ****. 10.3.1 10.3.2.680 10.3.2.798 and the double typing issue has become worse and worse.

When typing a text, the same word sometimes double types three times in a row, causing me to delete and retype each ****inng time. It's becoming really, really irritating.

So I'm supposed to believe, based on your statements, that a large percentage of my Passport's keyboard switches began to fail at the 45 day mark like clockwork? One after another after another, spreading like a sickness?

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    I think the important factor that you must take into consideration, is that there are no two people who use and type on their Passport in the exact same fashion!!

07-02-15 09:06 PM
    Attachment 350119

BlackBerry say it's hardware.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry told me to upgrade to 10.3.2.... indicating that they think it's software.
    07-03-15 04:22 AM
    I have been reading the double typing threads for a while, and finally thought I would add my 2 cents. I am an engineer and design embedded products. Firstly, I have also experienced the problem on the PP, so I am not denying it.

The keyboard problem seems to me to be twofold. There appears to be a debounce problem with the physical keyboard. As we get more used to it, we press the keys in a lighter way. Switches "bounce" as they are activated. This is normally very fast, however in electrical terms, it is noticeable. Normally, the hardware has a filter to ignore the bounce, but as the switch wears, it can bounce more, or slower. This is where software comes in. Nobody can type at say 1000 characters per second, so any key that comes in faster than this can be assumed to be a bounce. Software will ignore it. The trick is to find the speed at which to ignore, or allow. When switches wear, this number may change. This is the software debounce filter.

All physical switches bounce - what seems to be happening is that the debounce hardware/software isn't catching the bounce. A software fix could easily lengthen the debounce time which would catch the physical bounce. Replacing the PP will fix the symptom, but it will happen again when the keyboard wears. The true fix is to relax the software denounce time. I'm sure BlackBerry knows this, and the next OS will address it.

Hope this helps,

Posted via CB10
    So what you're saying is that it's a combination of physical and software. There you go, balance to the rescue!
    07-03-15 07:38 AM
    Seems to me you know all the answer, can you explain why I get double letters with the "?" and "." keys as well?
    You know I'm rally tird or s__ing your "it not a hardwaar problm" posts. Ys you ar s__ing doubl typing on virtual kys bcause that's a softwar issu . Howvr thr ar cass whr it's ntirly hardwar because I have a ddad " " ky. can you guss which ky iis dadd and th doubl typing is an issu h_r_ too. I'm going to rplac my k_yboard today and wll s_ _ if the issu gts rsolvd. Thn w can finally put this dbat to rst ithr way this has b__n a nightmar of a situation and RIM has bcom a ****ty company

The Berrylution will not be televised Stupid. Double typeeing kyboard
    07-03-15 11:06 AM
    Blackberry tech support over the phone told me very clearly it was a software issue, a known issue, and that they have a new release of the OS that will resolve it. Disappointing we are getting mixed messages if this email is accurate. I don't know what to do, return it for new hardware? Wait till the software gets updated? I bought in Sept. so I have to decide soon.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 11:59 AM
    Blackberry tech support over the phone told me very clearly it was a software issue, a known issue, and that they have a new release of the OS that will resolve it. Disappointing we are getting mixed messages if this email is accurate. I don't know what to do, return it for new hardware? Wait till the software gets updated? I bought in Sept. so I have to decide soon.

Posted via CB10
    You do realize that OS version has already been available, leaked. I installed it right away and it did absolutely nothing for my double typing problem. It's hardware.
    07-03-15 12:05 PM
63 123