I think he has a point. He means the screen is 1:1 ratio where as the keyboard is not 1:1. The keyboard doesn't have to be the same size of the screen but it could have the same ratio. So moving fingers on the trackpad will be accurate on the screen. I am curious too how this will work accurately. Will have to wait and see.
    Have either of you used any devices where the sensitivity settings for the X and Y axes can be tuned independently? I enjoyed the ability to have different settings for each axis on both my 9810 and Razer Copperhead.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-19-14 12:32 PM
    The keyboard being smaller than the screen is an invalid argument. The trackpad on the BBOS devices was how big? It was tiny now we have a huge track pad and people complain? Doesn't make sense. Just hope we get to set sensitivity.

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    07-19-14 01:10 PM
    thing. of. beauty.

anyone worrying about lag on a pre-beta release either doesn't know a thing about phones, or is just spewing feces from their mouth because it feels good (i know, go figure)...

but to see that keyboard in action, doing something no other smartphone can do... was amazing, and that's the first time I can say that about a BlackBerry in...... let's be nice and say a long time, but I can't really ever remember them having something unique like this...

this could really be their attention-getter, (even besides the odd shape) cuz it will really turn the heads of techies who want to have something no one else does, and also corporate types with specific purposes...

I still want to use it for myself, but this video just a huge leap towards this being my next phone... pretty much as long as they don't extremely F up the virtual kb, and it doesn't crumble to dust when I pick it up, it's mine! lol

market the **** out of it, let everyone know BB is still here with a new innovative device, then get the masses back with next-gen all touch.

I see the path, hopefully you do too BlackBerry!
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    07-19-14 03:16 PM
    Serves no purpose? Like precise text manipulation, selecting browser links your finger struggles with, scrolling without covering the screen with your finger.

Yeah it serves no purpose I guess.

Posted via CB10
    I use a 6 inch device currently. I have none of the problems you just mentioned. So yeah pointless.
    07-19-14 03:30 PM
    Don't let the door hit you in the ***...

Posted via CB10
    Who said I was going anywhere.

My post indicated that based on the video, This device is DOA, serves no point.

Don't let the door hit you? You tell someone to get lost because they criticized a device and it's lack of purpose? Wow
    07-19-14 03:34 PM
    I use a 6 inch device currently. I have none of the problems you just mentioned. So yeah pointless.
    That's because you never used a device with a trackpad... It's much better scrolling a website with a trackpad, than slide the whole finger in the screen. Selecting pieces of text with the trackpad is faster and more acurate than with the touch screen. I'm on a Q10, and came from a 9900 and I can tell right away when I pick up my ex-9900 that my father is using.
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-19-14 03:35 PM
    thing. of. beauty.

anyone worrying about lag on a pre-beta release either doesn't know a thing about phones, or is just spewing feces from their mouth because it feels good (i know, go figure)...

but to see that keyboard in action, doing something no other smartphone can do... was amazing, and that's the first time I can say that about a BlackBerry in...... let's be nice and say a long time, but I can't really ever remember them having something unique like this...

this could really be their attention-getter, (even besides the odd shape) cuz it will really turn the heads of techies who want to have something no one else does, and also corporate types with specific purposes...

I still want to use it for myself, but this video just a huge leap towards this being my next phone... pretty much as long as they don't extremely F up the virtual kb, and it doesn't crumble to dust when I pick it up, it's mine! lol

market the **** out of it, let everyone know BB is still here with a new innovative device, then get the masses back with next-gen all touch.

I see the path, hopefully you do too BlackBerry!
    You're absolutely spot on, this is stuff that can be VERY usefull.... unfortunately, the average smartphone user is more concerned about how many useless megapixels the camera and screen have that you can't even see. Or with useless features like Air-gestures, and group play that nobody uses, it's just marketing.

This new keyboard is a feature that you'll use ALL the time... but people prefer to be excited about the waterproof phones, feature that you'll probably never use, and if you use, it would only be usefull to save the phone from falling into the toilet
    bigbadben10 and CDM76 like this.
    07-19-14 03:38 PM
    That's because you never used a device with a trackpad... It's much better scrolling a website with a trackpad, than slide the whole finger in the screen. Selecting pieces of text with the trackpad is faster and more acurate than with the touch screen. I'm on a Q10, and came from a 9900 and I can tell right away when I pick up my ex-9900 that my father is using.
    No. I've had plenty of trackball BlackBerry devices. Trackpad on a touchscreen is pointless. The screen is the trackpad.

I've never seen a phone with a trackpad.
    Last edited by WorkStation 0; 07-19-14 at 04:07 PM.
    07-19-14 03:40 PM
    horrified it has a rotation. on a 1:1 device I can't see the point. Horrified because I'm going to have to keep putting the orientation lock on, and I bet that becomes a chore in an instant like all touch screen phones I have used.

I like qwerty phones for this lack of rotation, and to put it on the passport makes me ask the question why? I genuinely don't see the need for it with its physical dimensions and 1:1 screen, and can't see it beeing anything other than an annoyance.
    07-19-14 04:28 PM
    horrified it has a rotation. on a 1:1 device I can't see the point. Horrified because I'm going to have to keep putting the orientation lock on, and I bet that becomes a chore in an instant like all touch screen phones I have used.

I like qwerty phones for this lack of rotation, and to put it on the passport makes me ask the question why? I genuinely don't see the need for it with its physical dimensions and 1:1 screen, and can't see it beeing anything other than an annoyance.
    Umm.... you do realise you can click "rotation lock" and keep it locked for, well, forever?
    07-19-14 04:52 PM
    No. I've had plenty of trackball BlackBerry devices. Trackpad on a touchscreen is pointless. The screen is the trackpad.

Lol. You sound confused.
    07-19-14 04:53 PM

I guess a mouse is pointless too now that we have touchscreens on pc's. Anybody who does actual work still uses a mouse and the trackpad offers the same benefits.

Precise text editing, browser links, scrolling without covering the content and so on.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 04:55 PM
    Geez, using the keyboard as a trackpad/scroll wheel is just an added alternative way to interface with the device. It's not like they are removing the touch screen. You may like to touch your screen, but there are plenty of people who have a hard time with it or simply prefer to minimize smudges. Plus, the idea is that you can scroll down a document without your fingers having to travel away from their typing position. You can call it different, weird, bizarre, awkward, etc. But you definitely can't call it "pointless".

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 05:44 PM
    I guess a mouse is pointless too now that we have touchscreens on pc's. Anybody who does actual work still uses a mouse and the trackpad offers the same benefits.

Precise text editing, browser links, scrolling without covering the content and so on.

Posted via CB10
    Right but this isn't about pc's or laptops.
    you want a phone with a mouse keyboard and trackpad?
    07-19-14 05:46 PM
    Lol. You sound confused.
    I am.

Can't understand how someone who has used any high end device in the past 3 years can justify a trackpad/ trackball/ mouse for a phone.
    07-19-14 05:48 PM

You should be able to add rotation lock to the quick settings menu

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 05:51 PM
    I am.

Can't understand how someone who has used any high end device in the past 3 years can justify a trackpad/ trackball/ mouse for a phone.
    I just did justify it if you read. It's because text editing kinda sucks on all touch devices. Selecting links in a browser is hit and miss as well if you use a full site. Doesn't matter if it's high end of not.

It's the same reason we still use mice and keyboards on pc's when we have touchscreens for them as well. All touch just doesn't handle certain tasks as well but people have been trained to think that's fine for phones.

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    07-19-14 06:08 PM

The latest OS7 devices like the 9900 and 9790 were touch screen, AND still had trackpad, it was very usefull.... My 9900 was touch screen, and had trackpad.

I came from them to the Q10, and despita having the Q10 for a few months now, I can tell, that the trackpad is helpfull in some places, especialy when you're using the device one handed. The Passport goes even better, it has a trackpad that doesn't use any space on the phone, it's "invisible" trackpad, so what's your problem with it? I'm sure you can turn it off if you don't want it. They didn't compromise Anything in the phone to have the trackpad.

You can complain in the BB Classic, that they stole screen space for the belt of buttons, but you can't complain in the passport.
    07-19-14 06:27 PM
    I am.

People that used Blackberry's for a long time, know how the trackpad can be much quicker in things like selecting/editing text compared to touching the screen. Your fingers are big, and for precise acuracy in some aplications, trackpad realy works very well.

Scrolling a email, message, webpage, is also a lot more confortable with a trackpad. Trackpad makes it easier to use the phone one handed, you don't need to do as much "gymnastic" with your fingers.

Trackpad should be especialy usefull in big phones, where is harder to work with them one handed
    07-19-14 06:34 PM
    I am.

I will never understand this.

All for people wanting features and such. But I have never met someone who had issues scrolling emails, messages, selecting links or selecting text.

Please bb fans stop with the bb is work everything else is a toy stuff.

To the video, wasn't a bad demonstration . Still looks a little weird though.

I'll probably create a thread for it but what do you think about track pad on back of device?
    07-19-14 08:18 PM
    Selecting text on touch screen is absolutely horrid. Main reason I want a classic as well as buttons for calling and hanging up. Just because it's the norm now with the winking text selecting doesn't mean there isn't a better way more efficient approach. Grab a 9999 series bbos7 and see for yourself.
    07-19-14 08:37 PM
    I really want the passport and classic to launch together so I can makeup mind and not feel like my next phone is a let downtown like a lot of the early bb10 z10 people I know that hated it waiting for the q.

Typed on iPad mini retina because bb refuses to make a bb10 play book. Bahhhhhhh.
    07-19-14 08:38 PM
    No point to argue with the people that don't see any need for these passport features. Many people simply pick their phones like sheep and want to look cool. For the people that want to get things done this is a breath of fresh air.

The lag you see is the Internet speed issue and not track pad. I have the same thing happen on my desktop computer when I try to scroll a website that has not yet loaded fully. For those that don't understand this then we can help you.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 08:45 PM
    I'll leave this alone.

BlackBerry seems to cater to that tiny percentage of folks who can't use a modern phone. If you are having a hard time selecting links in the browser you need a larger screen. I'm sorry I have no issue selecting text or typing on a six inch device.

I have an idea. I won't say anything else. I'll wait until release and listen to the whining. Everyone from the UN to the pope will have conspired to stop people from wanting or buying this useless POS.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    07-19-14 10:11 PM
    I'll leave this alone.

BlackBerry seems to cater to that tiny percentage of folks who can't use a modern phone. If you are having a hard time selecting links in the browser you need a larger screen. I'm sorry I have no issue selecting text or typing on a six inch device.

I have an idea. I won't say anything else. I'll wait until release and listen to the whining. Everyone from the UN to the pope will have conspired to stop people from wanting or buying this useless POS.
    I'm pretty sure the passport is a modern phone. It just can do things in a different more efficient way. And considering the bb10 gestures are considered too confusing for some I would say they are the ones who can't use a modern phone.

I guess gestures and a capacitive keyboard are just to much for some to handle so they have to stick with their home and back buttons.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 10:26 PM
64 123