Hello,

I haven't been able to access any of the Settings app pages on my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition since the first weekend of September.

Symptoms:
    • The Settings app won't open. No shortcut that takes me to the Settings app works. Shortcuts that take me to specific pages in the Settings app don't work either. This includes shortcuts in the Quick Settings menu, shortcuts created through third-party apps like Easy Home or Sweep and shortcuts to Settings pages included in other apps.
    • Occasionally, trying to open a Settings page messes up the Home Screen and I have to restart my phone, but I usually don't get any errors or problems, just a black screen that briefly flashes and then crashes. However, certain shortcuts don't even attempt to open the Settings app and show a brief error. For example, selecting the Open Connection Settings option on the No Network Connection page in the Browser pops up the brief error message "Unable to open settings://networkconnections". If I try to manually type in "settings://networkconnections" into the Browser and hit OK on the Open Application dialog (which recognizes the link as belonging to the Settings app) nothing happens and a web search is triggered instead.
    • Keyboard Shortcuts don't work either. (I don't use Keyboard Speed Dial, but I imagine that it doesn't work either.)
    • However, Device Monitor, Accounts, BlackBerry Hub Settings, BlackBerry Assistant and Phone Settings all open and work as normal. All of these are listed as separate 'System Apps' in the third-party app AppNinja. (Shortcuts in these apps that take you to pages in the Settings app, such as Notifications, still don't work.) It seems that if a settings page is stored in an app other than Settings, it will function as normal.
    • Similarly, the actual settings which are inaccessible because the Settings app won't open can be changed with the Quick Settings menu toggles or third-party apps like Volume Control Lite that let you change settings directly. I can still access the hidden Android Settings app, but I'm not sure if it can switch BB10 native settings.
    • A quirk: I can't access the Battery Saving Mode Settings through the Quick Settings menu or the third-party app doo but I can access it through Clock Settings. Other shortcuts in Clock Settings to Bedside Mode Notification Settings and Date and Time Settings don't work as expected

At first I thought my Passport was going through another meltdown like it had earlier this year when I couldn't open any applications whatsoever a few seconds after booting up my device (along with a litany of other unpleasant symptoms). I ended up reloading the OS with an autoloader when my device wouldn't even finish booting up, but I later restored a back-up which may have reproduced the same bug. However, the symptoms above have remained constant for months, so it looks like this is a separate problem.

Any ideas on how to fix my new problem? Is there a way to reinstall only Settings app files using Sachesi?

Unfortunately, I've put this project off to the last minute. I'm taking a flight overseas in a little over 24 hours and may need to start accessing Settings pages while I'm there. Quick suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by JECE; 12-20-17 at 02:02 PM.
    12-20-17 11:46 AM
    You need to use an auto loader and start over. This happened to my Passport also. The settings screen was black.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-17 06:48 PM
    if youre not on 3057, blitz it. i havent had an issue since.

Posted via CBX
    12-20-17 06:54 PM
    I'm not keen on wiping my device with an autoloader again. Isn't there a way to reinstall a system app with Sachesi? Can't we locate the Settings app in the latest OS installation files? I just don't know where to look.
    12-20-17 06:59 PM
    How do you blitz it?

I can't access the About page of course since it's part of the Settings app, but BBVE says that I'm on OS Version 10.3.3.2205.
    12-20-17 07:04 PM
    How do you blitz it?

I can't access the About page of course since it's part of the Settings app, but BBVE says that I'm on OS Version 10.3.3.2205.
    there's your problem. download the blitz and drag it to sachesi.
    this is non-destructive but i did a wipe after installing it. no problems like this since.

Posted via CBX
    12-20-17 07:14 PM
    I like the sound of that. It sounds quite easy, but where do I grab the blitz files again? Is there a thread dedicated to that?
    12-20-17 07:21 PM
    I like the sound of that. It sounds quite easy, but where do I grab the blitz files again? Is there a thread dedicated to that?
    yes, the 3057 thread, first post.

Posted via CBX
    12-20-17 07:29 PM
    It won't hurt to try, but a non-destructive update doesn't usually correct system corruption issues.
    12-20-17 07:39 PM
    Is there any downside to trying to reisntall/update just the Settings app? Which one should I go with? Can I just drag and drop this file into Sachesi for a non-destructive update?

From the 10.3.3.2205 installation files (to reinstall):
    settings-10.3.3.566 [25.69MB] http://cdn.fs.sl.blackberry.com/fs/q...-v7+signed.bar

From the 10.3.3.3057 installation files (to update):
    settings-10.3.3.776 [25.69MB] http://cdn.fs.sl.blackberry.com/fs/q...-v7+signed.bar
    12-21-17 08:10 AM
    you got me. try it.

Posted via CBX
    12-21-17 08:12 AM
    I wouldn't. Do the Blitz as suggested then if you still have corrupted OS or problems, the autoloader. I am virtually certain that you will not fix anything by trying that.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-17 01:42 PM
    I just got around to doing the blitz, sandwiched by two hard resets for good measure. It worked! So happy to have wifi on the rest of my trip.

Thanks for everyone's help!
    12-30-17 07:43 AM
    Hello,

I haven't been able to access any of the Settings app pages on my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition since the first weekend of September.

Symptoms:
    • The Settings app won't open. No shortcut that takes me to the Settings app works. Shortcuts that take me to specific pages in the Settings app don't work either. This includes shortcuts in the Quick Settings menu, shortcuts created through third-party apps like Easy Home or Sweep and shortcuts to Settings pages included in other apps.
    • Occasionally, trying to open a Settings page messes up the Home Screen and I have to restart my phone, but I usually don't get any errors or problems, just a black screen that briefly flashes and then crashes. However, certain shortcuts don't even attempt to open the Settings app and show a brief error. For example, selecting the Open Connection Settings option on the No Network Connection page in the Browser pops up the brief error message "Unable to open settings://networkconnections". If I try to manually type in "settings://networkconnections" into the Browser and hit OK on the Open Application dialog (which recognizes the link as belonging to the Settings app) nothing happens and a web search is triggered instead.
    • Keyboard Shortcuts don't work either. (I don't use Keyboard Speed Dial, but I imagine that it doesn't work either.)
    • However, Device Monitor, Accounts, BlackBerry Hub Settings, BlackBerry Assistant and Phone Settings all open and work as normal. All of these are listed as separate 'System Apps' in the third-party app AppNinja. (Shortcuts in these apps that take you to pages in the Settings app, such as Notifications, still don't work.) It seems that if a settings page is stored in an app other than Settings, it will function as normal.
    • Similarly, the actual settings which are inaccessible because the Settings app won't open can be changed with the Quick Settings menu toggles or third-party apps like Volume Control Lite that let you change settings directly. I can still access the hidden Android Settings app, but I'm not sure if it can switch BB10 native settings.
    • A quirk: I can't access the Battery Saving Mode Settings through the Quick Settings menu or the third-party app doo but I can access it through Clock Settings. Other shortcuts in Clock Settings to Bedside Mode Notification Settings and Date and Time Settings don't work as expected

At first I thought my Passport was going through another meltdown like it had earlier this year when I couldn't open any applications whatsoever a few seconds after booting up my device (along with a litany of other unpleasant symptoms). I ended up reloading the OS with an autoloader when my device wouldn't even finish booting up, but I later restored a back-up which may have reproduced the same bug. However, the symptoms above have remained constant for months, so it looks like this is a separate problem.

Any ideas on how to fix my new problem? Is there a way to reinstall only Settings app files using Sachesi?

Unfortunately, I've put this project off to the last minute. I'm taking a flight overseas in a little over 24 hours and may need to start accessing Settings pages while I'm there. Quick suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Reload the Os by using BlackBerry Link software in you PC connected using the usb cable to ur phone. Go to "preferences" in your software and choose reload Os to factory settings. If an Os update is avaible then choose to update instead.
    12-30-17 02:26 PM
    Reload the Os by using BlackBerry Link software in you PC connected using the usb cable to ur phone. Go to "preferences" in your software and choose reload Os to factory settings. If an Os update is avaible then choose to update instead.
    Already resolved. See post right above yours.
    12-30-17 02:36 PM
    BlackBerry Link couldn't help me. I can get both BlackBerry Device Manager (internal storage volume access) and Sachesi to connect, though they are both finicky, but haven't been able to connect to Link for a long time. I'm afraid to reinstall BlackBerry Device Software (the software package that includes both Device Manager and Link) in case Device Manager stops working too. I rely on access to my internal storage so I feel that I can't risk a reinstallation that might leave me without Device Manager.
    12-30-17 05:56 PM