10-05-14 11:49 PM
79 1234
tools
    Just let this one go guys...
    10-04-14 10:44 AM
    A reasonably higher price in Europe can be justified by :
    * higher transportation & distribution costs / fragmented markets
    * longer warranty (2years)
    * additional costs associated with various keyboard iterations (at least when not getting the regular QWERTY).
    But all these together do not amount to 50% of the original cost.

Then there is the VAT.

Posted via CB10 from Z30
    10-04-14 10:50 AM
    i dont care about the actual price, the problem is with the company who is intentionally ripping people off. why should i support them? would YOU pay $820 for something being sold for $470?
    If it's any consolation, the made in Canada Chevy Camaro is $5000 cheaper in US than in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 10:50 AM
    Just let it go man. If you want to stop supporting BlackBerry because of this, you might as well stop supporting other companies too. Sony, Apple, Microsoft, etc. You'll never be happy. They all cater to another country more than they do some others. It is what it is.

Posted via CB10
    What is this bull--- about supporting? You make it sound like he is doing something bad by not buying a brand or another. It is just a product not a cause,
    10-04-14 11:17 AM
    We're an authorized BlackBerry reseller in the country (Hungary) where the OP actually lives.

Though I understand some of his concerns, I also undertsand BlackBerry for supporting the countries where it can build market share relatively fast and painless first.
    Like it or not, the Eastern European countries are not the primary focus for BlackBerry, and they never will be, and still, eastern europeans have to pay the same price (or even higher, due to taxation and the exchange rate for non-euro countries) for the Passport, than western europeans.
    What BlackBerry does here is to try to build a market presence with the cheaper devices like the Z3, which was introduced exclusively in just some EE countries in the whole continent as I was told.

The biggest issue here is not the pricing, but the complete lack of marketing and carrier support (these two often go together). The Passport costs approx 130% of the average hungarian monthly wage, which means that there are still a lot of people who can afford it, the question is if they will. There's nobody to convince them except the true brand loyalists and a very few enterpreneurs who still believe in BlackBerry. They're also without almost any support from BlackBerry, but hey, that's a really fun challenge, isn't it?

Cheers,

R.
    damien kupuku likes this.
    10-04-14 11:18 AM
    well OP, after all maybe you won't feel that way in a bit... i just called Digital River and they are investigating the source of the coupon... the Customer Service Rep told me that IF they validate the source as legitimate THEN they will honor the price.. i made a search for the coupon and i found that it was valid for 15% for all accessories... so, now looks to me that it was a simple mistake and i won't be surprised if they reverse every single purchase... i won't tell DR about my finding, but i guess it is just matter of time for them to realize by themselves...
    10-04-14 11:32 AM
    they really shouldnt rely on digital river if its true... too many f ups since the passport launch.
    soaresr likes this.
    10-04-14 11:37 AM
    i dont care about the actual price, the problem is with the company who is intentionally ripping people off. why should i support them? would YOU pay $820 for something being sold for $470?
    I live 5 minutes from Blackberry HQ and don't understand why I have to pay 100.00 more than the Americans, but my order has gone through anyway because i want this device and am willing to pay for it. I say congrats to the one's who got the discount last night..lucky buggers..
    10-04-14 11:52 AM
    I ordered my second one, will be either sending my original back to SBB or selling to get my funds back, saved 225 from my last order, well worth it, sorry to be Canadian, it is a Canadian company, and this is where it's selling out

Passport, it's the optimal viewing experience.
    10-04-14 12:48 PM
    I live 5 minutes from Blackberry HQ and don't understand why I have to pay 100.00 more than the Americans, but my order has gone through anyway because i want this device and am willing to pay for it. I say congrats to the one's who got the discount last night..lucky buggers..
    It's simple really...

The population of Canada can fit into the state of California. The population is spread across all of Canada (well mostly near the border). That product needs to get to all these remote places. It?s the cost of distribution in Canada. We also must include French translation and support for all products too.

It's basically why almost everything in Canada is more expensive than our neighbors to the south.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 01:07 PM
    I live in Belgium, and waiting my turn get this when it available here, i self tried to get the VIP discounted PP the price was $699-$174.75=$524.25,you may add shipping fee, so it's not that 470$ you are talking about
    Already available in belgium
    Pdashop en meerdere

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 01:16 PM
    my problem is that I feel that I'm getting less for more and don't feel like supporting a company anymore that only seem to care about america. Why isn't there a European discount in the first place? European countries are even charged extra VAT, yet no discount available and shipping is also included in price, while the already discounted US price gets cut by another 15%.
    One of the things that's common for a lot of European countries is that they pay more for electronics across the board. If you think that you're getting ripped off from BB on the Passport, try looking at buying a DSLR camera, the complaints about how much more expensive it is for cameras and lenses is a common thread in the Pentax forums. I've heard that EU prices can be twice as much as the US prices.

If you can afford it the passport is a wonderful device, which you'll be amazed with it if you can wait. I think people who look at in person will be amazed by it mostly. You sound like its unfortunate about paying higher prices for the Passport but there are great things about Europe I wish we had here in North America.

Love the place you live in for what you have we can always wish for something else and do but you live there for a reason. I live where I do because I love it, otherwise I'd move across the country and make 25% more than what I make now.
    10-04-14 04:46 PM
    I forgot to say that sometimes there are "flash sales" and I believe this was one of those times, don't know why, but it lasted for less than a day and if you look at most of the comments people are unhappy about the shopping experience, lots of people did. I don't think that the price will be discounted to $499 on a regular basis, maybe for Black Friday.
    10-04-14 04:50 PM
    Ivan, have you looked the hardware specs for the Passport? I've never heard anything as ridiculous as this statement you just made. You sound like a BlackBerry hater.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 04:51 PM
    BB isn't ripping off you compared to if you buy an iPhone because it's they make over 55% gross profit on each iPhone they sell, so if you go buy one of their phones how will you feel then?
    10-04-14 05:08 PM
    Please people.... when I look at the posts, then I can just shake my head. It is like any other company is doing business globally. The US has the cheapest prices than all other places.

The price OP paid is just what you have to fork out in Europe. Period.

If you want, you can fly to the US and get a cheaper passport.

It sucks, but hey: this is how the world works. At least we don't have the ridiculous iron curtain anymore that would have made it 4 times more expensive.

From what I can tell: OP:
    Your standard of living is much higher than mine.
    I live in London, earn above the average salary and yet can only afford to rent one room.
    I do not have my own car, since it is to expensive for me and the cost of public transport is close to the rent I pay for my room.

As one poster above has pointed out: the passport is more than the average salary in your geographic area. Since you can afford it, I would truly love to change my standard of living with yours for a phone.

The price is the price and there are many more things to consider as to why the massive discounts are given to one geography and not the other.

The US is still a very important market, which is pretty much bankrupt.
    Therefore to generate sales, the pricing needs to be adjusted.

Consider yourself financially more stable as a whole country that you can afford to pay more for something.

Is this fair? No. But this is how it works.

No offence intended. Mods: please delete or edit if inappropriate

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-04-14 05:15 PM
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it was not Blackberry who directly offered the 25% (was originally supposed to be 15%) discount on purchases of the Passport on ShopBB. It was one of those coupon sites that one of the CB members came across during a web search, and then kindly shared it with the PP forum. Shortly thereafter, the frenzy began. How can you blame Blackberry for ripping "us" off when it wasn't even them who issued the discount?? Fyi, I'm a Canadian and paid the full price for mine yesterday, a whopping $806, I'm not a rich gal but it was worth every darn loonie I spent!'

EDIT: My comment looks a bit out of place now with OP's quote removed by the mod, which is what I replied to. lol
    Last edited by SharonRD; 10-04-14 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Quote Removed.
    bluetroll and Blacklatino like this.
    10-04-14 07:06 PM
    OP, even though you love BlackBerry do you think maybe paying that much when a Samsung or an Apple device is more supported in your home country and cheaper? The best way to show BlackBerry your dissatisfaction is to buy another device from another manufacturer, besides, I can only imagine how terrible BB customer support is over there when here in the US it was terrible. It is your call though and I wouldn't take what the majority of these people say to heart; they are perceiving you attacking BlackBerry after all. Some of them have great points though; the world is unfair and more so to those not in the west. Good luck
    10-04-14 07:31 PM
    OP should get whatever phone he wants. It's his money, and he's the one who is going to use it every day.

dvarnai I wish you all the best of luck. I hope whatever you choose works out well for you.
    10-04-14 07:47 PM
    OP should get whatever phone he wants. It's his money, and he's the one who is going to use it every day.

dvarnai I wish you all the best of luck. I hope whatever you choose works out well for you.
    +1. OP can buy--or not buy--whatever he wants. I'm kind of choked that Bell is charging as much as they are even on-contract ($300), so I can sympathize.
    10-04-14 08:27 PM

Totally agree, it's his money and he should buy whatever works best for him. I just disagreed with and thought it unfair of him to blame Blackberry for "ripping us off" because of the large discount at ShopBB via web coupon, which BB didn't even issue. Best of luck to OP.
    10-04-14 09:03 PM
    If you live in Europe, just suck the price up or get it elsewhere. I'm from Germany and not only do we pay 100% more than the US does on our own cars, we also pay at least a third more for phones and such. It's the retailer who sets the price, not BlackBerry, so don't blame them.
    I personally have stopped buying BBs in Germany or Europe in general and rather support the retailers with fair prices and less taxes in the UAE
    10-05-14 05:34 AM
    I know the felling. Live in Brazil, have a Z30 just because I traveled to USA in beginning of this year. My phone drop down on the floor and guess... one month to receive the new screen and costs me nearly to US$ 450,00 (product + tax). It's unfair! Thinked to chance to the new Passport, but, unfortunately, BB just abandoned Latin America. It's a shame, because I really like this OS and, everyone that I introduced to this, liked a lot, especially HUB.

Here BB's can't get cover, skin protector or other Blackberry's products.We are orphans.
    10-05-14 06:46 AM
    If it's any comfort, a lot of us in North America missed the discount.

I ordered mine last night thru shopblackberry.ca, THEN came here, then saw the discount, then saw it was exhausted.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    The discount is completely idiotic. Yes -- great for those who got it but imagine paying full price and then seeing the discount an hour or two later. That's really the Blackberry P-off factor. No other manufacturer would launch a flagship device and discount it off the announced retail price for a select few who stumbled upon some discount code. Bush league.

I think the OP was more than willing to pay above North American prices and pay the local market price. This isn't unique to Blackberry -- virtually all products have some type of local market pricing. Just look at the price of a Big Mac at McDonald's around the world. Heck, I have colleagues in Canada who drive the exact same vehicle that I do but paid $7,000-$10,000 more in USD terms pre-tax just because they bought it in Canada -- furthermore, if they went to a US dealership and tried to buy that same vehicle, the dealership would refuse to sell it to them because they were bringing it back to Canada.

The big PO factor here isn't local market pricing but a situation where you have BBRY offering a discount but not a discount for everyone but for a select few who were lucky enough to find it.

Samsung may well price its devices different by market but, as far as I know, it doesn't discount them selectively within hours or days after launch.
    Last edited by NYC10065; 10-05-14 at 09:08 AM.
    anon8656116 likes this.
    10-05-14 08:13 AM
    The discount is completely idiotic. Yes -- great for those who got it but imagine paying full price and then seeing the discount an hour or two later. That's really the Blackberry **** off factor. No other manufacturer would launch a flagship device and discount it off the announced retail price for a select few who stumbled upon some discount code. Bush league.

I think the OP was more than willing to pay above North American prices and pay the local market price. This isn't unique to Blackberry -- virtually all products have some type local market pricing. Just look at the price of a Big Mac at McDonald's around the world. The big PO factor here is here you have BBRY offering a discount but not a discount for everyone but for a select few who were lucky enough to find it.

Samsung may well price its devices different by market but, as far as I know, it doesn't discount them selectively within hours or days after launch.
    Yes.

I actually kinda appreciate Apple being difficult that way -- whatever else, one doesn't feel that there was a selective ripoff.

Also didn't know there was a "VIP" unit I could get for the same price that I didn't see on the site.

But whatever, I ordered the phone, it's done. It just makes me feel less good about the purchase.
    10-05-14 08:18 AM
79 1234