MY QUESTIONS ON THE PHONES AND THIS OP BEEN ANSWERED, THANK YOU. I'LL LEAVE THE POST BELOW IN CASE PEOPLE HAVE SIMILAR Q'S IN FUTURE.

Some background on me: I was a Sony Ericsson guy for a long time. Had the K800, C905 then Satio. Mostly for their superior cameras. The Satio was a departure because it was touchscreen, but holy cow it was laggy. From Satio I went Android - Moto X. I really liked the phone but was eventually missing a PKB.

I then went old school in 2015 and picked up a NOS Nokia N97. I used that phone off/on for 2 years until the my daughter dropped it and messed it up. I love the keyboard/slider. Then i picked up a Pureview 808 in 2016 and its great, but the OS is horrible as far as drilling down to needed services/changes/edits and there is no 4G on the 808 or N97 . Now I have a Freetel Samurai (Android). It's huge and I'm not a big fan of it. And there is no keyboard.

So I am thinking Q10, Passport or Priv.
    My needs: I want a PKB, LTE, securities (screen lock/pin lock, possibly encrypt data on phone, and most importantly for me the ability to maximize privacy and minimize personal data being sent or captured via browsers or sms With android I have to use 2-3 programs to lock down all the data leaking/sending/sharing that Android does without the average users knowledge. It's really annoying. I use sms encrypt app to secure my messages too.), be able to check multiple email accounts, bluetooth, an easy to use browser.

I don't care: I don't care about getting an updated OS, nor do I care about apps unless they are directly related to my need for email, data security or sms security.

I may end up buying all 3 to see what I like most. I like the SE specs but its overpriced. The Keyone is overpriced for me.

Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by allyourbasearebelongtous; 01-20-18 at 08:24 PM. Reason: reduce post size
    01-19-18 11:45 PM
    It depends on how much screen you need.

If a smaller screen is ok, think about the Q10.
    If you want wide space, better the Passport.

Priv is no OS10, it's android. And the pkb is far to good.

The Passport does have much more processor power, but this only is necessary, if you run many apps or even games.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-18 10:33 AM
    All three products are EOL and no longer receiving security updates - or ANY updates for that matter.

If you want a new, supported device with BlackBerry software, get the KEYᵒⁿᵉ by TCL.
    01-20-18 10:57 AM
    I have the Passport SE, the blackberry Priv and the Q10 (plus many more bb devices). I do not like the Priv because the keys are toooo close together. I do like the Passport Se but don't use it much. The q10 is a no brainer for me. The pkb is excellent even better than the KeyOne which I also have. But, your best bet is to buy all three and try them. There is nothing like having those devices in your hand. Pictures and specs are no substitute to the real feel. In your case, again, buy all three or just the Q10 as that one is an awesome workhorse of a phone. I am not a game player so the Q10 is one of my favourites.
    01-20-18 11:10 AM
    I'd go for the Passport, b'coz...

IT IS DIFFERENT

That aside, it has the best keyboard in a BlackBerry ever. Nice feeling keys, matte, well spaced out, right number of keys (the ones you'll 'really' need) and very easy to use.
    01-20-18 11:28 AM
    All three products are EOL and no longer receiving security updates - or ANY updates for that matter.

If you want a new, supported device with BlackBerry software, get the KEYᵒⁿᵉ by TCL.
    I doubt support or security are much of an issue for OP considering they've just stopped using a phone from 2008.

I wouldn't recommend any of those devices now either, you'll still be paying a few hundred dollars for what are essentially EOL devices, at those prices you could get a new touchscreen device.

Have you considered a Keyone on a carrier contract?
    01-20-18 12:00 PM
    Since you seem to keep devices a long time, I'd figure out way to get KEYone. It's not what you use now as much as what is happening in the future. I'm doing things with phone now that I never thought of.

The old BB devices on BB10 are going to become less functional because of a variety of small factors at one time.

It's not that BB10 wasn't good. It's like a great steak. Sooner or later, after you butcher the cow, if you don't eat the meat, it only keeps for so long.
    01-20-18 12:03 PM
    I don't know much about BIS but I read somewhere that it may get shut down completely by BB or carriers this year. Will that prevent me from getting email on the Q10 or Passport?

Otherwise, I really have no objection to using an old OS as long as my core needs are met (BT, check multiple email accounts, 4G, a PKB).

Maybe I need to find a newly released (>2013) slider that runs Android...
    01-20-18 12:41 PM
    I don't know much about BIS but I read somewhere that it may get shut down completely by BB or carriers this year. Will that prevent me from getting email on the Q10 or Passport?

Otherwise, I really have no objection to using an old OS as long as my core needs are met (BT, check multiple email accounts, 4G, a PKB).

Maybe I need to find a newly released (>2013) slider that runs Android...
    BB10 devices do not require BIS.
    01-20-18 01:26 PM
    Get a KEYone. The browser is extremely outdated on the BlackBerry 10 devices. The PRIV may be a possibility, but you might as well get a KEYone and just keep it.

BTW what are the various securities you need? Outdated phones need updates that they won't be getting to patch issues.
    01-20-18 01:46 PM
    the best option is trying the 3 before making the final decision.

i have all of them including the k1.

for me the best option regarding pkb is the PP SE, but if you want a good device, go for the Priv, the most underrated BB device. and so good for me!
    B1aize and Qorax like this.
    01-20-18 03:10 PM

Aren't all devices essentially EOL? Apple will slow down your phone as it ages. Android may or may not give you security updates after a year or two.

Start with a Q10 or even a Classic as you can get them dirt cheap on ebay or amazon and if they aren't up to par then you haven't invested much. The PP does seem like the phone for you but I warn you it very big but that screen and keyboard make for a awesome emailing machine. The browsing is good too.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley and Qorax like this.
    01-20-18 03:37 PM
    Passport all the way. May as well try one and enjoy it before its too late. At least you can still enjoy a real blackberry while you still can imho. :-)

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley and Qorax like this.
    01-20-18 03:52 PM
    Aren't all devices essentially EOL? Apple will slow down your phone as it ages. Android may or may not give you security updates after a year or two.
    Two years of security patches is not trivial.
    01-20-18 03:59 PM
    Get a Passport then. Amazing device, big screen, good battery life, beautiful keyboard and a decent camera.
    01-20-18 04:31 PM
    It depends on how much screen you need.

If a smaller screen is ok, think about the Q10.
    If you want wide space, better the Passport.

Priv is no OS10, it's android. And the pkb is far to good.

The Passport does have much more processor power, but this only is necessary, if you run many apps or even games.

Thank you!
    01-20-18 07:36 PM
    BB10 devices do not require BIS.
    Very good to know. I wasn't sure if that was older BBOS only or the OS10 etc.
    01-20-18 07:37 PM
    Get a KEYone. The browser is extremely outdated on the BlackBerry 10 devices. The PRIV may be a possibility, but you might as well get a KEYone and just keep it.

BTW what are the various securities you need? Outdated phones need updates that they won't be getting to patch issues.
    Thank you for the input.

For security, I want to be able to control what does leaves my phone (this is a problem on android OS) and what data is sent /shared. I use a rooted app firewall to lock down my Freetel. I also use an app for encrypted text, but this is not as important for me so if BB doesn't have this capability that is not a deal breaker.
    Beyond that, I like to browse in private mode and reduce/minimize my footprint as much as possibly when browsing. So really, maybe 'security' is the wrong word to use but instead privacy measures and data lockdown - again mostly an issue with Android. Symbian didn't have nearly as much concern with sending data without your knowledge.
    01-20-18 07:42 PM
    I appreciate everyone's input and all of my questions have been answered.

As far as the phones go, I consider the OP answered. I ordered a Passport and a Priv. I am chewing on the Q10..
    Last edited by allyourbasearebelongtous; 01-21-18 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Questions answered.
    Qorax likes this.
    01-20-18 07:46 PM
    You need to decide which apps you really can't do without. My Passport does 95% of what I need, even if it's requiring more and more hacks; the one app I really hate not having is one with earthquake alerts.
    01-21-18 06:24 PM
    You need to decide which apps you really can't do without. My Passport does 95% of what I need, even if it's requiring more and more hacks; the one app I really hate not having is one with earthquake alerts.
    Have you tried Quake Listener in BlackBerry World?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 06:45 PM
    Have you tried Quake Listener in BlackBerry World?

Posted via CB10
    I had not come across that app, thanks for pointing out! I'll give it a try.
    01-21-18 06:58 PM
    I had not come across that app, thanks for pointing out! I'll give it a try.
    You're welcome, I hope it functions to your satisfaction.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 07:10 PM
    For me it was tornados.

And it also depends on how much you want to tinker, hack, and put up with.
    01-21-18 07:14 PM
    For me it was tornados.

And it also depends on how much you want to tinker, hack, and put up with.
    This was an issue with Symbian. Microsoft shut down all the nokia servers in 2016/17 making certain things very difficult, namely for me trying to set up email. Yikes. That said, once I figured it out I really enjoyed my N97 and Pureview 808. I will miss both.
    01-21-18 07:23 PM
50 12