What about using the new Passport on a discount carrier like Cricket Wireless here in the US? I have never used an unlocked phone before so am worried about spending the money and not being able to use it, or use all of its features? I want a very high end phone, and love what I am learning about the Passport (Especially the screen size, battery size and great speaker/sound system), but since I only want occasional business related internet access, I am thinking about saving money on my fixed monthly budget and doing one of the unlimited talk and text plans with unlimited 3G data and 500MB high speed data (Apparently 4G LTE). Later, once the business is chugging along, I can feel more comfortable spending more money for more data on a larger carrier like AT&T perhaps. In any case, I called Cricket and all they gave was the company line that they don't support Blackberry. They offer one of those bring your own device options, so in theory I should be able to use an unlocked phone and just purchase the Cricket sim card to plug into it, but they were vague when I asked about that, as if hoping I'd buy one of their supported phones. I am wondering if I get the new BB Passport phone unlocked, if I can purchase a Cricket sim card so I can port over my old AT&T phone number and then use the new BB phone with my current phone number, but do so thru a discount carrier like Cricket, and have everything work great? All input is welcome. Thanks.
    09-25-14 11:24 AM
    Cricket should just be using AT&T's wireless network, so an unlocked GSM Passport should work. Especially since the only GSM model is sold by AT&T themselves.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:32 AM
    You can use unlocked or ATT locked devices on Cricket including BB10.
    09-25-14 11:32 AM
    Once a device is unlocked, I believe it can be used on any carrier. That's the purpose for the unlocking.
    However, some carriers may not support the device and it may tend to act funny when you insert the SIM.
    09-25-14 11:33 AM
    Based on other BB10 phones being used on Cricket, it should work: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post10881725
    09-25-14 11:37 AM
    Was considering doing the same as I am a Verizon user and won't have the ability to use the passport with my unlimited data plan. I looked into pure talk which has plans starting $5 a month (minutes rollover). Like cricket they also use ATT network. I would then tether the passport to my bold or q in order to run wifi on the device. At this point I see no other options as I would love to get my hands on a passport but CANNOT Give up my grandfathered data.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:47 AM
    I understand the grandfathered thing. In my case it's minutes. I had so many grandfathered minutes unused on my old Bold with AT&T that I just never changed. I unfortunately learned the hard way that it all doesn't roll over year to year indefinitely. Though I lost a bunch, I still have much left. At this point, those unused minutes are less important than just getting my base monthly charge down, thus the Cricket idea. I too found a $5 and $10 per month plan elsewhere online, but those are strictly wifi minute plans, and in my circumstance, where I work, wifi isn't reliable enough for me for calling. As for the Passport, I really like what I am seeing about it. A little leary of giving up the easy one hand use of my current Bold, but that may be a small price to pay for so much gained.
    09-25-14 12:53 PM
    I've been using a Verizon Z30 and my wife's been using an Unlocked Q10 on cricket for months now. Great deal and BB10 works fine on Cricket. If you were wondering it shows the AT&T splash screen.
    11-06-14 09:29 PM
    should bbm voice/video calls work on cricketwireless' limited 8mbps?
    02-16-15 07:05 PM
    I understand this may work with straight talk as well, as passport supports the bands straighttalk requires, just giving ppl other options, but I did enter my phones imel number into cricket and it said it was accepted.
    02-16-15 09:09 PM
    This is fantastic news, my verizon contract runs out in a few months...

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 09:16 PM
    should bbm voice/video calls work on cricketwireless' limited 8mbps?
    Yes.

Posted via a phone that probably has a hardware keyboard
    crackberryspqr likes this.
    02-16-15 11:10 PM
    Was considering doing the same as I am a Verizon user and won't have the ability to use the passport with my unlimited data plan. I looked into pure talk which has plans starting $5 a month (minutes rollover). Like cricket they also use ATT network. I would then tether the passport to my bold or q in order to run wifi on the device. At this point I see no other options as I would love to get my hands on a passport but CANNOT Give up my grandfathered data.

Posted via CB10
    Ahh just do it lol... I said goodbye to Verizon for the Passport and was welcomed with open arms by AT&T lol. Also gave up unlimited data, but couldn't be happier. Funny thing is that I was only on Verizon from Sprint because of the BlackBerry Storm. Drifted to Android then back to Z10, Z30... then goodbye Verizon with no Passport!

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 02:40 AM
    On topic - Yes it will work on Cricket. The only problem that may arise is if you are porting a number. I personally wouldn't take the risk as the number I have is too important, but read up on some of the prepaid carriers and some have had issues porting numbers... getting lost in space somewhere lol. If it's a new line then go for it!

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 02:44 AM
    Which carrier are you (trying) to port your number from?

Something isn't adding up but hey good luck with your results.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 02:54 AM
    It's a good idea to initiate the port before you close your account at the old carrier. The act of porting itself should close your account, but more importantly, if you port from an open account, you don't risk losing your number.
    02-17-15 10:41 AM
    It's a good idea to initiate the port before you close your account at the old carrier. The act of porting itself should close your account, but more importantly, if you port from an open account, you don't risk losing your number.
    You never close an account which holds the number you want to port, its been that way since forever, porting DOES close the old account so no action required on your end, just make sure your not in contract
    02-17-15 10:44 AM
    You never close an account which holds the number you want to port, its been that way since forever, porting DOES close the old account so no action required on your end, just make sure your not in contract
    I will say that I ported my number from Verizon to AT&T for the Passport and all went well. Had a Z30 I bought outright from Verizon to keep unlimited data, but after porting I was receiving bills from both Verizon and AT&T.

The Verizon bill was $0, but after 2 months I contacted them and made them aware that I would be leaving after X amount of years for not supporting the Passport. They stated that they would give me a 3 month window to come back to Verizon on my old unlimited plan without any changes (no contract); they stated they could do this by putting me as a buyback customer.

Thought that was interesting. Sucks I do not get service in certain work areas on AT&T, just E which is useless, but the Passport is just too good. Had it since September and no regrets. Well worth it!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 03:23 PM
    I only get this as a message :
    "there is a temporary network problem that prevent the enabling of the video call feature. Please retry later"
    on wifi no issues
    02-18-15 08:44 PM
    Yes.

Posted via a phone that probably has a hardware keyboard
    I only get this as a message :
    "there is a temporary network problem that prevent the enabling of the video call feature. Please retry later"
    on wifi no issues found.
    02-19-15 07:10 PM
    I successfully ported my number from Verizon (Q10) to Cricket (unlocked Passport from shop.blackberry.com) with no issues.

8320 -> 9650 -> 9930 / Playbook -> Q10 -> Passport
    02-19-15 09:17 PM
    I entered the IMEI from my unlocked Passport on Cricket's website, and it says that it's compatible "up to 3G data speeds." Can anyone confirm that they're getting LTE speeds on Cricket? Any idea why it might think only 3G is possible?
    04-10-15 11:52 AM
    Confirmed Cricket Wireless LTE service (download speeds locked to 8Mbps) on an unlocked Passport.

When I switched carriers using the website, the Cricket website also gave me the misinformation that only 3G service would be available.
    brillo9 likes this.
    04-10-15 06:06 PM
    Any idea why it might think only 3G is possible?
    When I switched carriers using the website, the Cricket website also gave me the misinformation that only 3G service would be available.
    I think they show you guys 3G because the SQW100-1 must not be "in their system" as an LTE-friendly/AT&T phone. Even them showing the phone as 3G-capable is mildly surprising.

I'm thinking the SQW100-3 would show up an LTE phone because AT&T carries it.
    04-10-15 09:50 PM
    how are you guys liking crickets service?

do you think it seems slower then other networks?

my contract with verizon is up in June, and i'm very tempted to jump ship to cricket with a new passport....
    04-16-15 08:36 AM
36 12