01-31-15 04:31 AM
73 123
tools
    ^ agree 100%

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 04:56 PM
    Honestly,it takes some time to get used to the extra features that come with this keyboard but once you do you become faster than ever before.

The next word prediction function & swipe up +3 (but you have to keep your eyes on the keyboard)
    Missing Alt key for extra symbols -2
    Swipe down for all extra symbols +1
    Space in the middle +-0
    Being forced to use two hands +2 (we are talking about speed here)
    Double tap keyboard for the fine movement of cursor +2
    Wider keyboard -1 (for a while) then +1
    Screen Shift key is harder to use for selecting large chunks of text -1
    Single tap on a virtual key to change language +2

All in all,this might as well be the most advanced keyboard ever released. Unless you take the time to learn it you are just blaming the tools while you should be blaming the workman.
    10-11-14 05:05 PM
    I'm typing as fast as I was on my Q10 but only time I am typing slower is when I use virtual keys.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 05:39 PM
    I was faster on my Q10 but only because I had it for longer. Right now, the thing that's slowing me down is the on screen punctuation and numbers. Wish there was a way to map all that to a key. But if you're transitioning to a physical keyboard from all-touch for the first time, it's going to be easy for you! I can type 2-3x faster on my passport than on my z10, and probably about 85% as fast on the passport compared to the q10.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 07:55 PM
    In complete honesty after using this for over a week now, it's been extremely fast and better than my Z10 for typing speed! I'd say I'm finally on-par or possibly even faster than on my original 9900!

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-11-14 08:32 PM
    I love the flick, the capacitive track pad and the virtual keyboard! I am most likely slower on the Passport but I enjoying it so much more!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 08:34 PM
    I'm typing as fast as I was on my Q10 but only time I am typing slower is when I use virtual keys.

Posted via CB10
    Can't you swipe down then press the mapped key? (I don't have a Passport)
    10-11-14 08:37 PM
    As someone who has never used a physical keyboard it takes getting use to. Sometimes I still tap the key like it's virtual at the start only to realize that doesn't work.

Truthfully i'm probably a little slower but think the accuracy is better. The scrolling is awesome though.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 09:47 PM
    I was faster on my Q10 but only because I had it for longer. Right now, the thing that's slowing me down is the on screen punctuation and numbers. Wish there was a way to map all that to a key. But if you're transitioning to a physical keyboard from all-touch for the first time, it's going to be easy for you! I can type 2-3x faster on my passport than on my z10, and probably about 85% as fast on the passport compared to the q10.

Posted via CB10
    They are all mapped to "keys". To get the quotation marks I just used I swiped down once and hit the "l" key. Up popped the quotation marks and away went the virtual screen. I didn't use the virtual keyboard. I think I'll eventually get used to the mapped keys I use most often and I'm sure it'll improve my speed. Give it a try. -swipe down hit the l key, hit the l key again, swipe down and hit the l key a third time. It'll give you "l". Not sire that's what BlackBerry was expecting but it works well for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 10:06 PM
    I know I have slowed down significantly vs Q10 and Bold9900.

Don't get me wrong I love typing on this thing, but I feel like my pinkies constantly are supporting the bottom of the phone. Makes it a bit awkward sometimes vs. Having them rest on the back of the Q10.

Also I know I'll need to get used to virtual keyboard combo, but must say I would have preferred full keyboard. It would. Have given the screen more of a "landscape" layout and pure physical keys.

Now I DO love the capacitive keyboard for scrolling and other functions.

Maybe it's just me?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 10:14 PM
    I have tried the extreme typist app but I don't get any good numbers...

My opinion it's that the perfect speed in typing is the one you feel comfortable with...

I'm in the mood with my smooth Z10
    10-11-14 10:16 PM
    This is what they call "awesome" I just used swipe down and the L key to type quotes. You can type numbers that way also. Thanks for the tip!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 10:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Th e symbols and numbers ARE mapped to physical keys.
    Either swipe down, or press AND HOLD the @123 key.
    If holding the @123 key you will see the mapping show up after half a second or so, but there is no need to wait for the mapping to show up.
    Press @123 and "wer" you get "123".

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 10:55 PM
    So after a couple of days with my Passport, I am finally starting to speed up with the keyboard. Just as it was the case on ny Q10, I have disabled most autocorrections and typing assists. I'm The hardest part was and kind of still is getting used to the new layout. Especially the lowest row with the zxcvbnm keys. Surprisingly the small spacebar hasn't been of an issue for me, not a single time I didn't hit the small key. The second hardest part is getting used to the new virtual row and the fact that shift and punctuations are now at the top. Especially the shift key is kind of a headache, sometimes screen reactions just isn't as good as I thought or at least I think as it should be.

What's really annoying is everything which has been performed with the old alt key on the Q: numbers especially. Just typing the word Q10 for example slows me down compared to the actual Q device, first switch to the numbers section then typing in the number. Having said that, things are getting better, I even start to use the flicking feature of the keyboard which is quite nice!

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 03:21 PM
    Yeah, but if you touch the virtual "1" the virtual keyboard will stay there until you press another physical key (including the space bar).

Posted via CB10
    I think you can lock the virtual keyboard by keeping the 123 button for a couple of seconds. Then you can type for as long as you want using the physical keyboard.
    01-29-15 02:08 AM
    2-3 times as fast as when I used an iPad ;-)
    It is only slightly faster than on my Z30. The Z30 was faster than the Z10 as the extra room suited my big hands.

I would estimate that I am about as fast on my Passport as I was on my 9900, in terms of entering letters. Word completion with flicking helps with long words and often used expressions or phrases (name, company etc). The flicking gestures to delete words and the double tap to get the moving cursor, those are incredible time savers. Then ofcourse, there are the shortcuts for often used tasks, much the same as I had on the 9900.

Summing up: for me, Passport is the quickest in operation if looking at combined use of entering text as well as editing and moving around the OS (shortcuts). It is a bit faster than Z30 and Z10 in text input and on par with 9900 for text input. Learning curve (un-learning Alt/Shift and getting used to spacebar) was approx. one week. Go get one!
    01-29-15 04:11 AM
    I have no problem using the physical keyboard on Passport, but to be honest, I prefer the virtual keyboard on Z30. The swipe to complete, the auto prediction and auto correction functions on Z30 are just perfect, and feels so natural. Passport keyboard Is not bad by any means, it has its own rhyme, but I found myself less likely to use its auto prediction function, which means I have to type full words all the time. Besides, the single handed typing performance falls way behind compared to Z30.

For me, Passport is a worthy upgrade for its specs, not its keyboard or form factor.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    01-29-15 04:37 AM
    I still type faster on a virtual keyboard.

Agree that the Passport is the upgrade because of screen and specs. Typing, although pleasant, isn't super fast. Partly an issue for me because I have both this and an iPhone.

Still glad I got it.

Posted with my Passport via CB10
    01-30-15 03:21 PM
    Fast, dang fast. But not as fast as q10 or classic. But still dang fast. And accurate.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    01-30-15 05:25 PM
    Give it time. I type faster with no suggestions on my PP then I did with flick suggestions on my z10.

Up to 60-65WPM, don't need to look at keyboard anymore.

Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport
    01-30-15 07:32 PM
    I don't type as fast with the physical keyboard yet on Passport.
    Mainly because all touch screen keyboards autocorrect it for me.
    But the feedback of a physical keyboard is so rewarding that one often wants to keep on typing.

It's like pulling off manoeuvres when driving. If you have played any driving games with joystick and then with a proper steering wheel that has a force feedback, you'll know how much joy there is. You may drive better with a joystick but the satisfaction with the steering wheel is better.

My only trouble right now is how to master the placement of certain alphabets, virtual symbols and the double tap selector that keeps popping in when I type too fast. I guess once I'm used to the accuracy I'll have better results.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TheBond; 01-31-15 at 03:53 AM.
    01-30-15 07:55 PM
    I have been typing on the passport since Tuesday. The first few hours was a struggle because it took a while for me to get used to a physical keyboard again after I stopped using my 9900 a few years ago. I get better at the passport keyboard each day I am using the device and the autocorrect help fixes the small typos I have. The big advantage for me is that the onscreen keyboard allows me to add punctuation and numbers without having to pressing other keys on the physical keyboard. It's a lot faster when u think about it. On a virtual kb, you have to switch over to the numbers and symbols panel which wastes time. The problem with the passport is the width, but I have big enough hands that I can even flick type one handed. I absolutely love this kb and hope BlackBerry keeps making it better.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 01:30 AM
    Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 04:31 AM
73 123