01-31-15 04:31 AM
73 123
tools
    This is after 2 days......

Thought I'd post a pic of the battery life. It's much better than the z30, even on its best day.

I've been on this bad boy constantly since yesterday and passed out for the night without charging it and it's still going pretty strong.

I've been covering shifts, sent out a number of procedural emails with manually adding distribution lists (these were very long and detailed),

Coordinated a 6 person team in a field exercise through text.

And did a conference call with me and another person in the room with a service partner on the other end.

I've always updated a staff scheduling spreadsheet, which before I never would have attempted unless it was an emergency even on my old blackberries.

Oh and I play on it after work continuously and did some redditing - as you might see from the battery graph.

Just amazing.

And the typing is getting waaaay, waaaay easier. I've come to trust the predictive typing and the swipes a little more. That's making a huge difference.

Day 2 and and half with the Passport.

Honestly.... the experience has only gotten better.

I got 'used' to the keyboard. The tricks are still coming. I have to divide my consciousness in ways in not used to. But it's works, and works well.

Passport || Fido
    10-02-14 05:39 PM
    I'm now only in the end of my second day, and I'm almost 100% used with the different bottom row. Speed is 80-90% with my Q10 speed now. Swiping down the keyboard is better than pressing @123, and I'm already starting to get used to the new position of some symbols when you swipe down (or press @123)

Note: when you press @123, that function onyl works for the first key you press, if you swipe down, you get same as @123 but locked...
    JamesDee55 likes this.
    10-02-14 06:45 PM
    There should just be a competition . Post a video of you typing a paragraph on your phone. I think the fastest typer on the Z30 will be faster than the fastest typer on the Passport. Someone just post a paragraph for everyone to type and see who wins with what device.
    10-02-14 07:02 PM
    There should just be a competition . Post a video of you typing a paragraph on your phone. I think the fastest typer on the Z30 will be faster than the fastest typer on the Passport. Someone just post a paragraph for everyone to type and see who wins with what device.
    Under ideal conditions yes. On touch screem, you only have to touch, on a physical screen, you have to press, wich takes more time. And you should compare to a Q10, since the Passport is wider, so fingers have to travel more.

The difference is that with physical keyboard, you'll be typing faster with less errors when you're on the go, like walking on the streets, going down stairs, in the traffic lights... You can type without looking at the phone. You can be in the back of a very bumpy car, you can type much easier with physical kb. For example, I like to text on Redlights, I'm replying while looking at the red signal to turn green. With virtual keyboard, I have to look at the screen all the time, so I would miss the green light, and people in other cars would horn at me

Both keyboards have advantages and disvantages, you just have to get what suits you beter
    10-02-14 08:45 PM
    2 days in and I'm noticeably slower on the Passport than I was on the Z30, but speed and my 'confidence' in hitting the right key is improving with every message. It's such a great experience altogether that I'm sure I'll get faster quickly. I'm reminded of how I went from my old physical keyboard BBs to the Storm, then back to a keyboard, then back to a Z, then a Q, then another Z, and now the Passport. By the end of this my fingers will be confused (but happy to be holding a Passport.)

Seriously, it feels great, and I'm sure as I get used to the key placement I'll be hammering out messages like a speed demon again.
    10-02-14 08:57 PM
    2 days in and I'm noticeably slower on the Passport than I was on the Z30, but speed and my 'confidence' in hitting the right key is improving with every message. It's such a great experience altogether that I'm sure I'll get faster quickly. I'm reminded of how I went from my old physical keyboard BBs to the Storm, then back to a keyboard, then back to a Z, then a Q, then another Z, and now the Passport. By the end of this my fingers will be confused (but happy to be holding a Passport.)

Seriously, it feels great, and I'm sure as I get used to the key placement I'll be hammering out messages like a speed demon again.
    That's what I'm missing too... the confidence of just pressing the key and trusting that it'll be the right one. I still feel like it need to look, position, verify before I go for the kill on each key. I'm sure it'll improve, but it definitely is not an automatic transition from the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Sarek1701 likes this.
    10-02-14 09:19 PM
    I'm now only in the end of my second day, and I'm almost 100% used with the different bottom row. Speed is 80-90% with my Q10 speed now. Swiping down the keyboard is better than pressing @123, and I'm already starting to get used to the new position of some symbols when you swipe down (or press @123)

Note: when you press @123, that function onyl works for the first key you press, if you swipe down, you get same as @123 but locked...
    I don't understand the locked part. When I swipe down and wanna type a 1 by hitting w on the keyboard the virtual keyboard disappears right after and doesn't stay locked.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 11:09 PM
    I don't understand the locked part. When I swipe down and wanna type a 1 by hitting w on the keyboard the virtual keyboard disappears right after and doesn't stay locked.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but if you touch the virtual "1" the virtual keyboard will stay there until you press another physical key (including the space bar).

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 11:37 PM
    I think when you consider accuracy the passport is the winner over any virtual keyboard. Sure you can tap quicker with the virtual but having to go back and fix errors tips the scales to the passport. I'm still getting used to having a keyboard again, it been 2 years with a virtual, and having to go to the "fourth row" for symbols still is messing up my rhythm. I think in a couple weeks my brain with adapt though, only time will tell.
    I really like being able to slide my thumbs around on the keys instead of having to tap like on a virtual. Gives the typing experience a more aesthetic appeal.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 11:53 PM
    I love this phone. But typing wise i prefer my previous Z10. Even though I like physical keyboard phones, nothing comes close my Z10.

I can write gibberish on every word and they'll be autocorrected to the exact word i want. Absolutely amazing.

With physical keyboard like my Q10 and passport, my accuracy is improved a ten fold, but speed decreases drastically cos i have to use some force to push down the button on every alphabet, instead of jus TAP and GLIDE on the screen. By the way flicking reduces speed as well cos u need to be looking at which word to flick and the flicking gesture further reduces the speed.

Nevertheless, i wouldn't wanna trade my passport away
    10-03-14 12:11 AM
    I can write gibberish on every word and they'll be autocorrected to the exact word i want. Absolutely amazing.
    This is how I can type while walking and not looking at my Z10 and Z30. It doesn't matter if I make mistakes, it's corrected.
    10-03-14 12:29 AM
    This is the problem with the Passport.

The benefit of a physical keyboard is NOT speed. The key benefits of a physical keyboard are:

1) Accuracy
    2) Not needing to look at phone while typing

With the Passport, you get the worst of both Worlds. You don't get the speed of a touchscreen keyboard (faster to tap a screen than press a key) and you still have to look down at your keyboard at times for things punctuation and numbers.

The only real benefit is you get the accuracy when typing letters, but still not for symbols or numbers. The Passport is a failure in this regard. They've decided to design around the shape of a passport instead of designing around something that makes sense.
    II ARROWS and Joao Oliveira like this.
    10-03-14 12:39 AM
    This is the problem with the Passport.

The benefit of a physical keyboard is NOT speed. The key benefits of a physical keyboard are:

1) Accuracy
    2) Not needing to look at phone while typing

With the Passport, you get the worst of both Worlds. You don't get the speed of a touchscreen keyboard (faster to tap a screen than press a key) and you still have to look down at your keyboard at times for things punctuation and numbers.

The only real benefit is you get the accuracy when typing letters, but still not for symbols or numbers. The Passport is a failure in this regard. They've decided to design around the shape of a passport instead of designing around something that makes sense.
    Interesting take. Can you tell me how long you have been using the Passport? I'm just wondering if you have noticed an improvement since you began typing/using the device. Of course it's my assumption that is the device you are currently using.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 12:50 AM
    It's day six and I'm almost up to fifty words per min. Using the Passport as my daily driver. That's faster than I could manage on my previous touchscreen devices such as the Z10, Note 3, Xperia Z. Not as fast as my torch 9810 yet but loving the Passport keyboard. The wider screen does make a huge difference for working with docs.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 01:46 AM
    One week user, but upgraded from Q10:

Yes typing on the Passport takes some time to get used to. But now after a week I would say using swipe-up predictions and symbols via swipe-down I am typing at equal speeds as before. Depending on the word suggestions it may even be faster over time, when it has learned more of a users vocabulary.

And there is no need to look at the device for symbols. If you are a 'power user' you will learn what keys the symbols are mapped to very fast. And the contextual row is wide enough so you can also press those without looking mostly.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    Joao Oliveira and dietertong like this.
    10-03-14 03:11 AM
    Depending on the word suggestions it may even be faster over time, when it has learned more of a users vocabulary.
    Shouldn't it take that from your Q10 settings?
    Or did you skipped device transfer?
    10-03-14 05:01 AM
    I run leaked OS' on my Q10 so I figured a transfer was not a good idea.
    So it took a while for my commonly used words to be remembered.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    10-03-14 05:22 AM
    My bold 9900, my best score was 80wpm
    I never did a type test on my Q10 but im sure it would be over 50

I just completed three typing tests in a row, ive owned my passport for 3 days now as my daily driver

First test 35wpm
    Second 39wpm
    Third 41wpm

Just doing three typing tests is already getting me more used to this passport keyboard, just need more time and ill be catching up to my Q10 in no time at all

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    Please note, the typing test apps do not recognized "flicked" words so the speeds i mentioned are keyboard presses ONLY

If someone had a typing test that would recognize flicked words please post, i tried several native, android, and web based and none recognized the letters that were flicked

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    10-03-14 07:50 AM
    Did a ton of tests with the "extreme typist" app. Here are my results.

Q10: 57 wpm
    Passport: 46 wpm

This doesn't factor in use of numbers and symbols, so I think for fast typing the Q10 is the better device.

Sent from my Passport
    10-06-14 09:44 AM
    That's what I feared. I type a lot of special words and terms required for work, having most of the auto-corrections disabled. My fingers fly across the Q10 keyboard and it is quite convenient to type without really looking at the keyboard and hitting the right letters almost all the time.
    Now especially when typing more complex texts with such terms, numbers and punctuations, I am not sure if the Passport can really keep up.

Of course everybody needs to consider it takes quite some time to adopt to a completely new keyboard. Especially for longterm BB users who are completely used to the traditional 4-row BB keyboard.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    10-06-14 10:59 AM
    I've held the Passport, and find it very tempting, but I can't get over the fact that I feel as though typing on my Z10 is always going to be much faster.

I know it takes a while to get used to a keyboard, but I am a very fast typer on my Z10. Has anyone been able to match the speed of the Z10/30 keyboard with the Passport keyboard??

Posted via CB10
    I've had a Z10, Z30, and now the Passport. As you know, BlackBerry's virtual keyboard, with all of the shortcuts, was so good that it didn't feel like typing speed suffered vs. the QWERTY devices. I absolutely loved the virtual keyboard.

Two things make the Passport keyboard better.

1). I make far fewer mistakes on a physical keyboard, so auto correct (which is sometimes wrong) isn't invoked as often.
    2). The fact that the keyboard is touch enabled means that the shortcuts that make the virtual keyboard so efficient are present. You can still swipe up entire words, and it's more accurate on the Passport using columns instead of a specific letter. Swipe backwards to delete is present on the touch enabled keyboard- another huge time saver!

The Passport seems like an absolutely no compromise device. In the past, I would sacrifice the physical keyboard for a bit of extra screen real estate. Passport provides both. Once I got used to the virtual keyboard, I was concerned that I'd be giving up some of the efficient swiping shortcuts for the QWERTY accuracy, but the Passport retains the shortcuts.

I'm extremely pleased. Very innovative. It's a shame that BlackBerry isn't getting recognized for what they've done here (generally speaking) by the media.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    10-07-14 12:17 PM
    A bit slower for me, I'm still trying to finding a comfort zone in my hands to hold this giant. I'm sure I'll get use to it in time.

Via my Quality Passport
    10-07-14 12:48 PM
    I am on touch screen since the days of the ''storm''
    I have the passport for couple of days and certainly can't match yet the writing speed i had with the Z30.
    But it gets better every moment that I use it,however I believe that will take me about 2 weeks time to write as fast as before.

Sent from my Z 30
    10-07-14 01:33 PM
    I type much faster on my Z30. Maybe because I have used to it so much. I'm still adapting. Maybe in the mean time I would be able to type faster. Lol. I just use it for one day.
    10-11-14 04:10 PM
    You will definitely be slower for awhile coming from a virtual keyboard. I've had the Passport since launch and came from a Z30 and I'm just now matching the speed I had on that relic. Your accuracy will improve but you have to make a concerted effort to swipe the word suggestions, because you tend to get so caught up in the joy of typing on a physical keyboard. The Passport's keyboard is such a novelty that the word suggestions are really just a distraction. I do find myself using them more as time passes however.

To be clear I am still not 100 percent comfortable with the keyboard but I am encouraged because every day brings an increased level of proficiency. Anyone trying out this device and being put off by the keyboard for any reason (and deciding not to buy it for that reason) is doing themselves a huge disservice, as it will be at least a month until you feel truly comfortable.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 04:50 PM
73 123