I've held the Passport, and find it very tempting, but I can't get over the fact that I feel as though typing on my Z10 is always going to be much faster.

I know it takes a while to get used to a keyboard, but I am a very fast typer on my Z10. Has anyone been able to match the speed of the Z10/30 keyboard with the Passport keyboard??

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 02:09 PM
    I've held the Passport, and find it very tempting, but I can't get over the fact that I feel as though typing on my Z10 is always going to be much faster.

I know it takes a while to get used to a keyboard, but I am a very fast typer on my Z10. Has anyone been able to match the speed of the Z10/30 keyboard with the Passport keyboard??

Posted via CB10
    It really depends how well you can adapt to it. I'm faster on my Passport than my Q10, Z10 and Z30. Combo of flicking gestures and PKB tactility is great for me.
    10-02-14 02:11 PM
    I just love the "flicking" to complete the word.
    10-02-14 02:12 PM
    I tried it briefly yesterday and I liked the keyboard. I do like my Z30 keyboard as well but I can see myself going back. Q30 is too small for me and not 100% certain on the Passport but I do see in my future a large screen...and a keyboard....so unless there is a slider it may be the Passport

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 02:15 PM
    The flicking feature is neat. I really like it, but does it speed me up? No. It slows me down because I have to look for words and then flick. Once you've processed in your head and changed your finger position, you might as well have typed it (unless it was a really long word). I love my Passport and after about five years away it's great to have a physical keyboard again. But is it quicker? After having the PP since launch day, I have to say I'm a fraction slower than I was using my Lumia 920. Though I'm speeding up every day so maybe I just need more time to adjust.
    blambtn likes this.
    I am sure this came up when you went from XXX to Z10 for you as well right? Did you not adapt and now you are fast on Z10? The same will probably be true for Passport.
    Using the extreme typist app from BlackBerry world I can do 55 words per minute on my Q10. I only have the passport for half a day now and could do 35 words. So yes right now I am a lot slower and the app doesn't test for shift nor alt keys so that would ne worse on the passport. So far I don't like the virtual part auf the keyboard, I prefer the full control of the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 02:20 PM
    The flicking feature is neat. I really like it, but does it speed me up? No. It slows me down because I have to look for words and then flick. Once you've processed in your head and changed your finger position, you might as well have typed it (unless it was a really long word). I love my Passport and after about five years away it's great to have a physical keyboard again. But is it quicker? After having the PP since launch day, I have to say I'm a fraction slower than I was using my Lumia 920. Though I'm speeding up every day so maybe I just need more time to adjust.
    Do you find your typing more accurate?
    stavwoz likes this.
    10-02-14 02:24 PM
    I feel that I'm as fast as I was on my Z10 right off the bat, but I don't really have any way to quantitate this. I don't feel like I'm that fast of a typer but I have had other Z10/Z30 users comment on my speed. I felt immediately comfortable using the Passport and I feel I've maintained a similar speed with little effort and am getting better. Also, I never really picked up the swipe to type so I really don't use it much.

Naturally, the learning curve is going to be different for everyone.

Do you find your typing more accurate?
    Yes, substantially more accurate. I guess this is the biggest difference, typing fast on the Z10 meant mistakes, typing fast on the Passport yields few mistakes.
    Last edited by Mirk; 10-02-14 at 02:58 PM.
    10-02-14 02:30 PM
    The biggest 'deference'? Yikes

Posted via CB10
    brillo9 likes this.
    10-02-14 02:36 PM
    The first few days you are going to be using the Passport, you might notice that it is very difficult to wrote as quickly as before on the Z10 or Z30, since you cannot really flick all the words and you are need to adjust once again to the physical keyboard. On top of that the fourth row is something to get your head wrapped around as well.
    I believe that I am already as fast as I used to be on my Z30 and just love that longer words can be easily flicked instead of having to type it.

After a few weeks you will feel it as second nature and be really happy with it. After almost a whole week, I cannot go back anymore to a smaller phone. Even my Z30 feels weirder and weirder by the day.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 and z30
    10-02-14 02:48 PM
    The biggest 'deference'? Yikes
    Computer typo
    10-02-14 02:59 PM
    I've had the Passport since launch and come from Z10. I am still nowhere near as fast on the passport as I was on the Z but I notice I am getting faster. Used to have a 9800 so keyboard somewhat familiar. I hope to be as fast in a week!?
    10-02-14 03:14 PM
    My bold 9900, my best score was 80wpm
    I never did a type test on my Q10 but im sure it would be over 50

I just completed three typing tests in a row, ive owned my passport for 3 days now as my daily driver

First test 35wpm
    Second 39wpm
    Third 41wpm

Just doing three typing tests is already getting me more used to this passport keyboard, just need more time and ill be catching up to my Q10 in no time at all

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    II ARROWS likes this.
    10-02-14 03:14 PM
    Using the extreme typist app from BlackBerry world I can do 55 words per minute on my Q10. I only have the passport for half a day now and could do 35 words. So yes right now I am a lot slower and the app doesn't test for shift nor alt keys so that would ne worse on the passport. So far I don't like the virtual part auf the keyboard, I prefer the full control of the Q10.
    Is that an app?
    I searched it on BB World, but I found an android port that requires my access to phone info... removed immediately.
    10-02-14 03:16 PM
    I'm definitely way slower than on my Z30, but my wife is way faster than me,.. and she's been using a Q10. So,.. I probably just have weak "glass" thumbs after almost two years with a Z10 and Z30.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 04:03 PM
    I'm slower. I flick a lot on my Z30 and that made me very fast because the predicted word was on the keyboard. On the passport, the predicted words are above and the time it takes to look up and process the three available predicted words makes me slower.

I've only had the passport for 24h, so I may still get faster.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 04:13 PM
    Yeah it's an app. I don't care much about permissions.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 04:13 PM
    Good post. I was curious too how people will do as they get more accustomed to the phone.

I will keep my eyes out for the q10 users to see how they progress. The screen may be small but the keyboard is an absolute joy to type on.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 04:16 PM
    So far it's about the same as with my old phone. I was a pro at typing on touch screens to be honest. I had no real reason to go back to physical keyboards other than the fact I just really missed how satisfying they are to type on.
    10-02-14 04:17 PM
    I find the keyboard much quicker than the touch screen and definitely far more accurate than touch screen typing. I think the way the passport is balanced also makes the feel and general typing easier, well for me anyway.

I also have a Z10 and Z30 and I would now struggle going back having just owned my Passport for 6 days now.

Either way the phone is amazing I just love it.
    10-02-14 04:27 PM
    First keyboard phone for me.

Took a few days to adjust to the keyboard on the passport, but now I feel I type much faster than on a virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 04:39 PM
    10-02-14 05:07 PM
    I've had mine for a week already, and have already sold one of my Q10s because I can't imagine going back.

I thought the Q10 keyboard was the best keyboard EVER until I got good on my Passport. Even the keys themselves are better, not just the experience for me. They feel different in terms of material, and the keyboard just feels huge compared to the Q10. I picked up the Q10 and it felt so cramped, and I tried typing and realized I kept pressing Enter on it by mistake.

It really takes a few days to get used to the Passport's keyboard, maybe even longer if youve been on another platform with a virtual keyboard.

I'm still memorizing where the symbols are on the virtual keyboard though, and figuring out which way is better to bring them up.
    10-02-14 05:34 PM
    I think the keyboard has a bunch of people nervous. Which is why I haven't commented on all the other features, those features are just plainly well done and improved as you would want and expect. Build quality and good old RIM greatest is entirely present and shining like it always has.

The keyboard is a work of genius in its own right, but I still think a big leap for a lot of people. However, you get style and class like no other, and it is still an adequate ergonomic effort.

I enjoy the different and the practical. I know I'll probably catch some static for not raving one-sidedly on the keyboard, but better to be true.

The keyboard just isn't as great as I thought it would be. I would say, do not expect to pick up a Passport and burn through paragraphs like the belt-fed, water cooled machine gun you were with the OS 7 devices (but maybe that's just me).

But if you adjust to the extras the keyboard has to offer, the swipes, the capacitive capability, etc, you will be a machine none-the-less, and still blow your Bono-toting colleagues away. Maybe more importantly, you'll look fricken great doing it with your awesome sense of style.

In sum, the phones are out there and pretty easy to get.

iiiiiiif you don't unconditionally LOVE your new Passport, I bet you will within a few days. Don't panic.

And if you really can't stand it, you can probably turn a tidy profit pedaling your regrets on craigslist.

Long post, hope my experiences help you find phones, and make choices.

This is taken from another post I made

Passport || Fido
    10-02-14 05:37 PM
73 123