I've been interested in the Passport since it was first leaked, but really couldn't find its application for me. Recently, my iPad started glitching on PDFs, to which the Apple store said, "Sorry."
    Can the Passport just be used as an add on tablet at Verizon, or do I need to activate the phone also? Happy with my Z so don't need to switch (and pay to break contract).

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 09:58 AM
    I would not recommend you buy a Passport for use on Verizon in this fashion.

However...if you already have a Passport, with a little bit of work, there's a possibility of getting it working as a tablet on their band 13 LTE network, in this way: How To Activate An LTE Nexus 7 On Verizon Wireless
    it would be an expensive tablet!

so basically you want to take a data sim and put it in there and use it then correct?
    10-03-14 10:00 AM
    I would not recommend you buy a Passport for use on Verizon in this fashion.

However...if you already have a Passport, with a little bit of work, there's a possibility of getting it working as a tablet on their band 13 LTE network, in this way: How To Activate An LTE Nexus 7 On Verizon Wireless
    10-03-14 10:02 AM
    Maybe, but probably not. We have heard that it has the proper LTE bands, BUT most likely Verizon will not allow it to be activated on their network. BUT the argument you could make is that you intend to use it as a PDA, or tablet and want it activated that way. IF verizon is willing and they can add the serial number to their data base this technologically COULD work. I highly doubt they will go for it.
    10-03-14 10:03 AM
    it would be an expensive tablet!

so basically you want to take a data sim and put it in there and use it then correct?
    Yes, that's it exactly. Yes it would be an expensive tablet, but BlackBerry is the right tool for my application. It would be worth it for me and my business. I think.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 10:05 AM
    Maybe, but probably not. We have heard that it has the proper LTE bands, BUT most likely Verizon will not allow it to be activated on their network. BUT the argument you could make is that you intend to use it as a PDA, or tablet and want it activated that way. IF verizon is willing and they can add the serial number to their data base this technologically COULD work. I highly doubt they will go for it.
    I'm hoping on the future, and Verizon carries it. Wouldn't take the risk until then. I tried that route on a PlayBook but couldn't hook up on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 10:07 AM
    I'm hoping on the future, and Verizon carries it. Wouldn't take the risk until then. I tried that route on a PlayBook but couldn't hook up on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    I just moved carriers, from Rogers to Eastlink. When we tried their test SIMs in the PlayBook we could not get it connected. Later when I tried my Eastlink Q10 SIM in the PlayBook it worked. Have you tried your Phone SIM in the PlayBook to see if it works?

Back to the Passport question, perhaps somebody that has a Passport can try an already activated Q10, Z10 or Z30 Verizon SIM in it.
    10-03-14 10:18 AM
    Do this: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=793184

And tether the passport to your BB via wifi?

I can confirm that the above process will work on 10.3.0.1052, but I did have to sideload and earlier escreen bar.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 10:25 AM
    Back to the Passport question, perhaps somebody that has a Passport can try an already activated Q10, Z10 or Z30 Verizon SIM in it.
    Unfortunately, Verizon activations aren't as easy as switching SIMs from one device to another. Since the CDMA component is involved, the Verizon activation process requires what is essentially an IMEI check for a device "approved on their network."
    10-03-14 11:07 AM
    Unfortunately, Verizon activations aren't as easy as switching SIMs from one device to another. Since the CDMA component is involved, the Verizon activation process requires what is essentially an IMEI check for a device "approved on their network."

This is what I was talking about. It MAY be possible to get a Verizon supervisor to get this done, BUT I highly doubt it. BUT if you can sweet talk them in to adding the IMEI then the LTE data part of the device SHOULD work, you just won't be able to get calls.
    10-03-14 12:45 PM
    This is what I was talking about. It MAY be possible to get a Verizon supervisor to get this done, BUT I highly doubt it. BUT if you can sweet talk them in to adding the IMEI then the LTE data part of the device SHOULD work, you just won't be able to get calls.

Wouldn't you be able to do it yourself online? I'm not a Verizon customer, but I know that you can activate/swap devices online. They probably follow the same process--IMEI, etc--as described in that Android Police link.
    10-03-14 01:19 PM
    I have an activated Mifi on my Verizon account. I lost it but it was still active. I ordered a SIM card for it cut it down to size and... Nope will not work.

I did hook it up to my Q10 mobile hotspot but at the end of the day it wasn't worth it for me to use as a wifi only device. Thinking of just going to AT&T since I live in a metropolitan area (even my hockey team is in that dumby named division in the NHL). Plus I just want to use the device to its fullest.
    10-03-14 01:27 PM
    PK. Didn't you comment comment somewhere that you heard that someone "testing" the Passport has a Verizon brand on it? Any updates?
    10-03-14 01:28 PM
    PK. Didn't you comment comment somewhere that you heard that someone "testing" the Passport has a Verizon brand on it? Any updates?
    What i said was that a tester I know saw one. He himself was not tasked with testing it as he is in Canada. We believe it WAS/IS in testing with Verizon. There are several unconfirmed rumors also regarding Verizon and the passport. Firstly a rumor that they tested and decided not to carry the passport. We do NOT know if this is true. Secondly I read on the Verizon forum, a post from an aledged 3rd party afflliate partner manager that Verizon plans to offer all future BBs to business customers only. I read seperately that business customers can in fact still buy the Z30. The guy posting about the business customers only thing also mentioned Verizon getting the Classic. There are a LOT of rumors and questions and unknowns!
    10-04-14 08:57 PM
    A bit of an update to the original "can it work as a tablet" question. From a CB blog comment by CB member Flip4Bytes,

I have already tried this with my Passport (my main carrier is Verizon). Talked to tier two tech support various times. They tried tricking the system for it to show up as an unknown device, etc. It just wouldn't work. Brought my phone to the store too. They tried activating my nano sim on an iPhone in the store to my account then popped it in my passport and tried to trick the system but it just kept kicking it back.
    So activating it as a tablet may or may not work, but activating it as a phone does NOT work.
    10-04-14 09:56 PM