Just wondering could the BlackBerry run a copy of Linux, just like motorla did with atrix. My days of needing a fully blown pc are over and it's just office and web apps that I use, ive en started the switch to office online.

Is there no way to use the BlackBerry passport as a pc

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 11:20 AM
    I suppose you could use a dosbox type App to run the OS.
    01-28-15 11:25 AM
    Can't be done.

You could find DOSBox and have it VM Win95 or Win98 though. And that a virtual machine.

You cannot load another OS on a BB10 device (because BlackBerry does not want you to and nobody has been able to hack a BB device).

Now, it can be used as a PC. HDMI/Miracast to get the image to a larger display, USB OTG/BlueTooth to have keyboard/mouse working... It's up to how much you want to turn it into a PC.
    01-28-15 11:27 AM
    There's video of passport running windows 7. Fully functional

Z30 STA-5.
    01-28-15 12:50 PM
    There's video of passport running windows 7. Fully functional

Z30 STA-5.
    Lol, I'm not sure if you're trying to be serious, but they were running a remote desktop app in the video you are talking about.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    01-28-15 12:57 PM
    Oh right.

Didn't read the description lol

Oh well still.. I can't wait to get my passport!

Z30 STA-5.
    01-28-15 01:12 PM
    I don't so much use mine as a PC, but more in place of a PC. I rarely need to make use of the computer I have at home anymore. My Passport can do everything I used to do on a computer and fill that void quite easily.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    j21jam6 likes this.
    01-28-15 02:16 PM
    I don't so much use mine as a PC, but more in place of a PC. I rarely need to make use of the computer I have at home anymore. My Passport can do everything I used to do on a computer and fill that void quite easily.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    I wanted to make a thread asking about this. Are there any things that you prefer doing on your laptop still?
    01-28-15 05:13 PM
    Depends on your needs, though with a smartphone you are most likely going to be locked in to the OS it came with. For me a smartphone is only a temporary replacement for my PC when I have to leave my desk, truth be told I make more calls on my laptop via Skype than I do on my phone.
    01-28-15 05:29 PM
    I'm using My Passport as a PC. No problem, no doubt, it's fabulous

Posted via Passport CB 10
    01-28-15 06:45 PM
    I'm using My Passport as a PC. No problem, no doubt, it's fabulous

How is your setup configured? How are you dealing with the 1:1 aspect ratio and black bars on either side of the screen if you're using a widescreen external display? How are you dealing with having to choose between HDMI out via slimport and USB OTG via slimport? Are you able to use the browser and apps full screen on your external display? Are you able to use games and or emulators full screen with correct aspect ratio support on an external display? Have you been able to play videos shared from your PC in full, widescreen using the external display?

I don't know if you've run into any of the issues I've mentioned there and/or solved them but if you have, I'd love to know how you solved them. The Z30 has none of those issues mentioned and can output using HDMI fullscreen and widescreen while using USB OTG simultaneously. That phone in my opinion would make a much better PC than the Passport with its current limitations.

In my opinion Linux or Windows isn't necessary for a BlackBerry 10 device to be able to function as a PC. BB10 already does a fantastic job.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 01-29-15 at 09:56 AM.
    01-29-15 03:42 AM
    BlackBerry OS is emproving from time to time. I am using the passport as a handheld computer all the time for multiple tasks. I toggle between hub, calendar, tasks and browser. I use the Passport like I would use my home PC and I am very satisfied. The phone is really reliable. My Q10 is now lesser used (keep social App using on it). I think, that the passport has a big future (unlike the PB)

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675; Germany.
    01-29-15 04:43 AM
    Just wondering could the BlackBerry run a copy of Linux, just like motorla did with atrix. My days of needing a fully blown pc are over and it's just office and web apps that I use, ive en started the switch to office online.

Is there no way to use the BlackBerry passport as a pc

Posted via CB10
    I think is possible but will be really slow it's lin running an os witch is running in another os witch runs in another os.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 04:53 AM
    Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 05:05 AM
    No. Buy a raspberry pi.

Posted via CB10
    aurelpascu24 likes this.
    01-29-15 05:49 AM
    How is your setup configured? How are you dealing with the 1:1 aspect ration and black bars on either side of the screen if you're using a widescreen external display? How are you dealing with having to choose between HDMI out via slimport and USB OTG via slimport? Are you able to use the browser and apps full screen on your external display? Are you able to use games and or emulators full screen with correct aspect ratio support on an external display? Have you been able to play videos shared from your PC in full, widescreen using the external display?

I don't know if you've run into any of the issues I've mentioned there and/or solved them but if you have, I'd love to know how you solved them. The Z30 has none of those issues mentioned and can output using HDMI fullscreen and widescreen while using USB OTG simultaneously. That phone in my opinion would make a much better PC than the Passport with its current limitations.

In my opinion Linux or Windows isn't necessary for a BlackBerry 10 device to be able to function as a PC. BB10 already does a fantastic job.

Posted via CB10
    According to My Job Passport is perfect. I don't need USB, I don't play Games BlackBerry is for professional use! In daily use it's perfect Any issues neither troubles You mentioned.

01-29-15 07:11 AM
    I find it quite hard to use the passport as a laptop or computer.. I used microsoft office quite a lot, the word, and excel. The docs to go on passport is just too awful to use, whenever I view a word file on my passport, the formatting always off from what it really is on the computer.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 07:16 AM
    I find it quite hard to use the passport as a laptop or computer.. I used microsoft office quite a lot, the word, and excel. The docs to go on passport is just too awful to use, whenever I view a word file on my passport, the formatting always off from what it really is on the computer.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you can try Microsoft Office Mobile for Android. It works on BlackBerry 10 from OS 10.3.1.1154 and up. You can install it using Snap or the Google Play Store.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 09:53 AM
    I believe office online could be used in desktop mode if you can get 16:9 output instead of 1:1

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    01-29-15 10:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    Off how. If you are not using standard fonts (you know the ones all devices no matter the platform use), that's the only way I can think of an issue coming up with formating.

Docs2Go isn't perfect, but there are ways around most it's issues. Example below.

Can the passport be used as an actual pc....-img_20150131_113709.png

Can the passport be used as an actual pc....-img_20150131_113734.png

Can the passport be used as an actual pc....-img_20150131_113739.png

Zooming for once, helps you see how the document should really loom like.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 08:39 AM
    I use mine to do most of the things I do on my Linux laptop at home.
    I rarely use my home laptop now and I only travel with my passport now.

However, there are still things I need to use the laptop for.
    Creating technical presentations and plots in OpenOffice, running design programs remotely on my work computer with ssh and X11 forwarding, which I cannot do on my passport.

For everything else:
    text editing,
    presentation editing and corrections,
    writing text-only papers (no insertion of figures though),
    correcting pdf files,
    all my email reading and editing,
    file transfers to and from work computer remotely (with ghostcommander),
    slide presentations,
    websurfing,
    listening to music,
    watching TV,
    video calls and voice calls through BBM.

I prefer not to use Skype or webex. I don't trust Microsoft or Cisco with my data.
    Cisco monitors and records all the traffic on the new Rogers wireless routers in Canada and stores the data on US servers, so that it can be legally searched, without a judge mandate, since it is foreign data in US!.

I wish blackberry allowed the passport to operate more like a linux laptop with X11. It definitely has the memory, processor power and speed of a notebook from 5-8 years ago.
    Then I could run all the more evolved programs remotely on my work linux computers.
    01-31-15 04:34 PM