Heya!

I was wondering, is it possible I use Internet tethering while using a WiFi network? I have some places where I can access hotspots of my ISP, but others can't since they have a different provider. Can I turn on Internet tethering while I myself are on WiFi?

"Got here with my Diplomatic Passport"
    10-28-15 03:38 AM
    Silly question ; if you have wifi access on your phone, why would you need to tether another device? Couldn't your second device not also use the wifi?

Am I missing something?

P.

Sent by my fantabulous BlackBerry Passport - qui prius respondit quam audiat stultum se esse demonstrat et confusione dignum
    10-29-15 03:59 PM
    If you are travelling, some hotels allow just one user per bill. So, to use more devices you'd have to pay more.
    10-29-15 05:21 PM
    Tethering may work while on wifi, but I think you are asking about turning on the WiFi hotospot to share your connection. This will not work, as the hotsopt is for sharing the cellular data.

Bluetooth tethering may work. I haven't done Bluetooth tethering since the Bold 9000 days and not sure if it is even available.

When using BlackBerry Bridge to a Playbook, my Passport and earlier phones would share the phones wifi Internet connection with the Playbook. The Bridge connection uses Bluetooth between the phone and PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    DBundick likes this.
    10-29-15 08:52 PM
    Tethering may work while on wifi, but I think you are asking about turning on the WiFi hotospot to share your connection. This will not work, as the hotsopt is for sharing the cellular data.

Bluetooth tethering may work. I haven't done Bluetooth tethering since the Bold 9000 days and not sure if it is even available.

When using BlackBerry Bridge to a Playbook, my Passport and earlier phones would share the phones wifi Internet connection with the Playbook. The Bridge connection uses Bluetooth between the phone and PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but even then you are not using your wi-fi connection to tether the playbook via bluetooth. You can only tether it if your phone is on cellular.
    10-30-15 01:11 AM
    With Android you could tether the Wi-Fi connection via usb to another device, without it eating your data. 3 years ago I had a crappy router which was downstairs and I live upstairs and my laptop couldn't pick up the signal, but my Samsung did, so I just turned on the Wi-Fi, plugged the cable and voila, Internet! I kind of miss that functionality on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via my Black Passport
    10-31-15 05:46 AM
    Yes, but even then you are not using your wi-fi connection to tether the playbook via bluetooth. You can only tether it if your phone is on cellular.
    With the Bridge connection of the PlayBook to the phone it would prioritise using the wifi data on the phone if both wifi and cellular were connected. If you only had the cellular connection, the playbook would use the cellular data. In the USA some carriers, such as AT&T blocked the Bridge access to cellular data.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 05:36 AM
    Heya!

I was wondering, is it possible I use Internet tethering while using a WiFi network? I have some places where I can access hotspots of my ISP, but others can't since they have a different provider. Can I turn on Internet tethering while I myself are on WiFi?

I tried this with my z30 and it wouldn't let me.

My GF and I were at the airport. I connected to the airport's wifi, her iThing would not (I think it was having a bad day). So I thought I'd open up a hotspot on my phone so that she could connect to the airport's wifi through my phone. I couldn't do it. I got a message that I needed to turn on my mobile network (which was off since I didn't want to share that; I wanted to share the airport's wifi instead).
    11-02-15 05:55 AM
    We have hotspots in my country, and you need a specific provider for these hotspots, so I want to connect with my BlackBerry Passport to the Hotspot, and then share it with a computer/mac. Is this possible?

11-05-15 03:07 PM
    We have hotspots in my country, and you need a specific provider for these hotspots, so I want to connect with my BlackBerry Passport to the Hotspot, and then share it with a computer/mac. Is this possible?

No, it is not possible. There would need to be two wifi radios in the phone to do this, one to connect to the hotsopt, the other to share your connection via wifi.

I also checked tethering, and it comes up with an error that you need to be connected to a cellular network to tether. In other words, tethering is only setup to share a cellular data connection not wifi, even though the data would be shared to the other device via Bluetooth or cable.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 05:20 PM
    No, it is not possible. There would need to be two wifi radios in the phone to do this, one to connect to the hotsopt, the other to share your connection via wifi.

I also checked tethering, and it comes up with an error that you need to be connected to a cellular network to tether. In other words, tethering is only setup to share a cellular data connection not wifi, even though the data would be shared to the other device via Bluetooth or cable.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for trying that out for me, it would be awesome if that was possible!
    Good to know, now I won't burn through my data haha.

11-06-15 06:11 AM