Yes, and no.

This is very dependent on whom makes your device.
    For example, my Lenovo laptop will not apply a charge to the battery unless it is under 97%. When it does charge the battery it charges directly to 100%, then stops until the battery sags below 97%. Many laptops did not do this, on most just applying charge if it is not 100%. This would put the battery through thousands of charge cycles in a week when you are not using the battery. This ages a battery quickly.

If your phone maker took the time and paid the extra cash then your phone will stop charging once it reaches full charge and just power the system from the wall outlet. It is significantly more likely that your phone is charging your battery on a short cycle and aging it thoroughly.

So does anyone know if BlackBerry took the time with the passport?

Posted via BBM Premium
    leoip likes this.
    11-28-14 04:29 PM
    It's not a very mobile device if it's plugged in all the time.

Think Apple have the patent for constant charging.

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    11-28-14 04:41 PM
    Blackberry has had the same feature for years the battery stops charging once it reaches 100%. I believe it runs off outlet power after that but don't take my word for it

Posted via my Classic Passport
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    11-28-14 07:04 PM
    I certainly goes cold when it reaches a 100%

...sides are not hot but noticeably warm when charging, not sure if this means the charge has stopped?
    11-28-14 07:17 PM
    I have kept my playbook plugged continuously, except when I carry it around, for more than 2.5 years. I use it every day and the battery is still in great shape.
    I see no reason why the same would not apply to the Passport.
    Indeed, once 100% charged, the Passport cools off even if it remains plugged in.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    11-28-14 08:41 PM
    If you check BBVE, when the Device Monitor shows charged to 100% BBVE will continue to indicate charging for around a further 10-15 minutes and then change to not charging.

I guess that this indicates that the charge does cut off so you can safely leave the phone plugged in or on a charging dock without frying it.
    11-29-14 03:27 AM
    When I leave my z10 plugged into the charger, I can hear a buzzing noise from the adapter. This doesn't happen with my passport but I still disconnect it at around 90-95% since I don't have the free time to distract myself every 10 minutes to check if the charge has reached 100% yet.
    I understand that people are worried about the mysteries of mobile phone battery life but IMO it is a bit counter-intuitive to be wasting time for something so trivial when the effect is negligible for a phone you will stop using in 2-3 years. In the worst case scenarios that your battery turns out to be very fragile and sensitive to how you charge it, you can always claim warranty. If there is going to be a problem, it will most likely show up in the 1st year of use. If you are too conservative with your usage because you are scared of somehow breaking your device, then a real manufacturing issue may go unnoticed until it is too late.
    I view blackberry devices as an investment which will return gains in productivity. If you spend too much time and anxiety worrying about nursing your blackberry then what happens to the original goal you had?

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 04:50 AM