Good morning,

I'm new here and I am in need of some serious help. First let me start by saying I've read through this forum in hopes to find an answer on what has become a nightmare of an issue for me concerning the battery life of my AT&T Passport but after reading, I quickly realized that you all are tech savvy and I haven't a clue what half of the lingo means. Please excuse the foible in advance. Anyhoo...here's my situation. I bought a BB Passport from AT&T on 2/21 received it on 2/24used it for a day and half and realized that my battery wasn't getting the 30+hours or anything remotely close to it that BB boasted it would. My mother and I got the same phone. Her battery was working perfectly. Thought I had a defective phone, called AT&T explained the story they sent me a new one. Received it on 3/2 and now my battery issue is complete different. See attached. What do you guys make of this, how do I fix this. I'm getting maybe 8 hours of legitimate use before it heads into battery save mode. I do not get a full day at all. I don't know if this means anything but here's a little bit of background; on both devices I used the device switch app. The first one, I switched from Q10 to Passport and then the next one from Passport to Passport. I contacted BB directly they told me to contact AT&T, I contacted AT&T and they told me to back up my device and do a full restore, the thing is, I'm going to lose my text messages (If there is a way around that please feel free to share) anyway, see the screen shots below and help. SERIOUSLY. HELP! If you'd like to see or need to see the entire doc, let me know somehow and I'll email it to you? Not sure how all these forums and things work. Anyway, Blackberry gurus I hope you have some advice for me. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    03-05-15 10:01 AM
    My bet is it's still settling down. Your accounts still syncing and battery calibrating. Let it go to 10% and fully charge it, after a reboot, and see how you go after this week.
    03-05-15 10:08 AM
    If you do a full backup you should get all of your texts as well.
    03-05-15 10:15 AM
    You should never go by what they say is the standard for battery life because you are not the standard. I doubt anyone is. Your battery is going to drain every single time you touch that phone and if you use it a lot your are going to be using the battery a lot too.
    03-05-15 10:22 AM
    The first thing I will tell you is to never ever ever ever EVER trust/freak out over what the "remaining time" says. That thing has been broken for aaaaages and has never been, and probably never will be correct. Now onto the tips:

Also, if you have other connectivity running (IE, bluetooth, mobile hotspot etc...) then it will cause excessive battery drain.

Another thing, is if you have not set the permissions on android apps, many of them run in the background and use gps and other features. One app that is consistently searching for updates is the amazon appstore, so I suggest you limit the permission on that. If this sounds like too much though, then you might need to start a thread, or do a search on how to do that.

One other thing, I'd give the phone at least 4 weeks to let it really settle in with your use/break in the battery. That's how long it took me with the original passport, and this includes me setting permissions for everything.

Good luck and don't give up, it's an incredible device, it just needs to be tuned correctly.
    03-05-15 10:26 AM
    Just to keep in mind, the latest OS is 'crazy' on idle. It lasts days when it's left on wifi.
    03-05-15 10:31 AM
    My bet is it's still settling down. Your accounts still syncing and battery calibrating. Let it go to 10% and fully charge it, after a reboot, and see how you go after this week.
    Thank you, I will try this and hope for the best.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:53 AM
    If you do a full backup you should get all of your texts as well.
    Will do. Thank you so much!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:53 AM
    The first thing I will tell you is to never ever ever ever EVER trust/freak out over what the "remaining time" says. That thing has been broken for aaaaages and has never been, and probably never will be correct. Now onto the tips:

Also, if you have other connectivity running (IE, bluetooth, mobile hotspot etc...) then it will cause excessive battery drain.

Another thing, is if you have not set the permissions on android apps, many of them run in the background and use gps and other features. One app that is consistently searching for updates is the amazon appstore, so I suggest you limit the permission on that. If this sounds like too much though, then you might need to start a thread, or do a search on how to do that.

One other thing, I'd give the phone at least 4 weeks to let it really settle in with your use/break in the battery. That's how long it took me with the original passport, and this includes me setting permissions for everything.

Good luck and don't give up, it's an incredible device, it just needs to be tuned correctly.
    I'm not going to give up on it, so far the battery issue is all I've had. Everything else for me has been perfect! Also, dually noted about the time remaining and I think I read a thread on here about permissions and such, I'll seek it out again. Thank you for your help!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:56 AM
    Just to keep in mind, the latest OS is 'crazy' on idle. It lasts days when it's left on wifi.
    Ha! So I've been reading about this "crazy" OS thing in general. Thanks again for your help!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:57 AM
    Wow glad to see I am not the only one noticing issues with battery drain of the at&t passport. I upgraded from the Q10 and still have a Z30 which has been beating the passport battery life big time. Luckily work has been slow so I haven't put it through full daily use out on the road but just sitting home idle with emails coming in and occasional phone call it barely makes it through the day. I find myself still using the Z30 more throughout the day.

Thank you thedose for your advice on the Amazon app store, I have been checking to see what has been draining it with no luck. I thought maybe BBM since it was known to cause battery drain also.

Posted Via my Great Z30
    03-05-15 10:59 AM
    You can recalibrate the battery by letting it discharge all the way until the phones shuts off. Then, plug it in and let it charge fully to 100%. This Will calibrate it.

If you are in an area where you are getting only one or two bars of service from ATT, that will drain your battery faster than just about anything else.

Also, you do not have to wait 4 weeks for it to "settle".

It could be an app, or something from your backup that is causing it. You could reload the OS and not do a restore to see if the quick discharge continues, if it doesn't, you at least will know it is backup related.

Good luck.

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.1.2480
    RazzBerry likes this.
    03-05-15 11:00 AM
    You can recalibrate the battery by letting it discharge all the way until the phones shuts off. Then, plug it in and let it charge fully to 100%. This Will calibrate it.

If you are in an area where you are getting only one or two bars of service from ATT, that will drain your battery faster than just about anything else.

It could be an app, or something from your backup that is causing it. You could reload the OS and not do a restore to see if the quick discharge continues, if it doesn't, you at least will know it is backup related.

Good luck.

I'm going to let the battery drain tonight all the way down and then recharge to 100% as suggested...with my luck, the phone won't cut off or something. thanks! Will let you all know how it works

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:06 AM

Good luck.

This ^^^ as Ops is having the same issue on the second Passport.
    03-05-15 11:07 AM

Good luck.

Don't do this. Will damage your battery each time you let it drain.
    03-05-15 11:41 AM

I have checked installed Apps including the Amazon App store and all with an option to run minimized were turned on. Funny they even include a battery drain statement so I have turned off this feature of the ones I don't use to see if there is an improvement.

Posted with my Great Passport
    03-05-15 12:05 PM
    To answer a different question from the OP, there are many back up solutions in both BBAW and via Snap that will perform backups that incluse your sms messages...

I'm a big dude living in a big world. I need a big phone! Posted via my amazingly correctly sized Passport!
    03-05-15 12:11 PM
    Oh wow thanks for the heads up!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 02:45 PM
    Easy with the fear mongering mad_mdx.

Draining the battery one time when the device is new will not do any damage to the battery. If you did it on a regular basis, you would, but not by doing it one time. He's trying to figure out if the battery is calibrated properly.

I have drained the battery on all my previous 7 BlackBerry devices, both intentionally and unintentionally, and have no undesired effects.

@jusrobin, just do a little research on li-ion batteries to see for yourself.

Also, firechest backup will backup calendar, contacts, camera, documents, downloads, and remember. It backs it up to your dropbox account, which you have to sync it with. It works very well. But it does not backup txts. It costs either a dollar or dollar ninety nine in bbw.

03-05-15 03:18 PM
    To answer a different question from the OP, there are many back up solutions in both BBAW and via Snap that will perform backups that incluse your sms messages...

I'm a big dude living in a big world. I need a big phone! Posted via my amazingly correctly sized Passport!
    Got it, I'm going to go look for a few of them.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 03:19 PM
    Easy with the fear mongering mad_mdx.

Draining the battery one time when the device is new will not do any damage to the battery. If you did it on a regular basis, you would, but not by doing it one time. He's trying to figure out if the battery is calibrated properly.

I have drained the battery on all my previous 7 BlackBerry devices, both intentionally and unintentionally, and have no undesired effects.

@jusrobin, just do a little research on li-ion batteries to see for yourself.

Also, firechest backup will backup calendar, contacts, camera, documents, downloads, and remember. It backs it up to your dropbox account, which you have to sync it with. It works very well. But it does not backup txts. It costs either a dollar or dollar ninety nine in bbw.

Thank you so much! I will look into firechest for sure and thanks for the clarification. This forum is awesome. Thanks everyone.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:47 PM
    Do the research... it's not good to drain these types of batteries. This isn't the laptop from the 90s
    The only BlackBerry that had calibration problems was the stl100-1 as far as looking through the forums

Dear OP, please post your device monitor graph.
    From the home screen, slide your finger down from the top
    Click device monitor
    Show us what's using your battery.

For the record, the passport gets about 10 hours of screen on time with brightness at middle, from my experience.
    This usually translates to 20+ hours
    03-06-15 09:22 AM
    Only by a negligible amount. it'll be fine.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 O2 UK
    03-06-15 10:44 AM
    To the OP not sure if your usage is similar to mine but today has been my 1st day of use after taking advice from this thread. I turned off some apps running in the background performed my normal charging restarted the phone. Now 8hrs after taking off charge this morning my passport still has 88% charge. Usually by now it would be around 50% or less and that's from sitting on my desk.

Posted with my Great Passport
    03-06-15 03:56 PM
    Thank you for this thread. Got my new Passport a couple of days ago and been having similar battery issues - 12 hour battery life as opposed to my wife's 1+ day. Will take advice and report back. I was used to calibrating the battery on my rooted Galaxy S (which amounted to removing the system batt stats file)...
    07-16-15 02:05 AM
26 12