I know I might flamed for this, but hear me out.

I've been using Swift key on my Android lately and I have to admit they've got something real good going on.

I won't go into explaining it but people who have used it would know what I'm taking about.

They way they implement one handed typing and symbols and numbers is better than how blackberry has done it with the use of the alt key.

Was just thinking if it was a patent they have but if not, if blackberry could do something similar. I could see this as a huge benefit to the hybrid Kb of the passport.

There are things about Swift key that aren't as good such as deleting words and two handed typing.

What do you think?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-25-14 06:13 PM
    How does it work for numbers?
    07-25-14 06:21 PM
    I've used swift key and i have to say i like BB keyboard better as i'm a two handed typer and find it faster and more accurate,
    07-25-14 06:23 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I only use SwiftKey on my seldom typed on Nexus 7), but SwiftKey doesn't use gestures for symbols and numbers...and that's what I like about a BlackBerry virtual keyboard
    07-25-14 06:23 PM
    The only way I would like to see the Passport keyboard improved upon would be to include the omitted alt/shift/sym hardware keys and printing the usual numbers and common symbols right on the keys. It would make the Passport the perfect upgrade for me, but as it stands I won't be buying it and I'll be recommending all my BlackBerry using coworkers to avoid it at all costs due to the nature of how we use our BlackBerry phones.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 07:06 PM
    Not constantly striving for improvement is one of the reasons BlackBerry is in their current pickle. They better be looking at ways to improve everything: hardware. Software. Keyboard. Services. Everything
    07-25-14 07:33 PM
    If I'm really bored I'll make a video loll.

Numbers are included on top row, no need to swipe to get them. Symbols on right on the keys and you use long press. No need to swipe to get them.

Capitals you use shift key. Double tap to get caps lock.

Period, comma, exclamation, and question mark all on one key and you long press and choose. Period is default tho.

Blackberry does two thumb typing better but I like numbers and symbols on Swift key better.

One handed typing is also better on Swift key to me.

Basically you long press for everything and numbers are already present, so you never need to switch to get symbols or numbers. Shift when you need to capitalize.

07-25-14 07:50 PM
    Here's how it looks

Can the BlackBerry keyboard be improved upon?-2867.jpg

07-25-14 07:59 PM
    I have swiftkey on my work phone and although it's good, I find the typing experience better and more fluid on my BlackBerry. Of course this is all just individual preference.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 08:13 PM
    Swiping and cloud functionality would be great added features.

ETA: as would handwriting and voice entry.
    07-25-14 08:16 PM
    I have swiftkey on my work phone and although it's good, I find the typing experience better and more fluid on my BlackBerry. Of course this is all just individual preference.

Posted via CB10
    Overall, I'd still pick the BlackBerry virtual keyboard if I had to pick one.

Just saying that some elements of swiftkey would make it even better.

07-25-14 08:17 PM
    Capitals you use shift key. Double tap to get caps lock.

Period, comma, exclamation, and question mark all on one key and you long press and choose. Period is default tho.
    Oh no, it's a nightmare!
    How can people use some **** like that? It takes ages to insert a comma!
    And what if you want to disable the shift key? You have to insert something, delete it and then write again? Or can you tap a second time, only not a "double tap"?

And of course number it's easier to do, if you have four rows... even the Passport keyboard would be a better keyboard with 4 rows like every other BB device.
    07-26-14 04:53 AM
    Here's a demo of it

It's not slow at all, it's actually quite fast - as a one handed solution.

Note I can swipe entire sentences, punctuation can be added in more than one way - you can select, or "flick" left or right. And the "long press" isn't long at all.

I actually think this is the best implementation of one handed use on any phone.

Posted via CB10 Right on Cue
    07-26-14 12:20 PM
    I stopped watching after 23 seconds... after one sentence.
    I wrote "Nope, not at all. See how quick it was?" in 10 seconds... and I stopped because I've seen that I inserted a comma after "Nope", and then noticed that I used a punctuation mark after "all" instead of a comma.

Very, very fast indeed.
    07-26-14 01:24 PM
    With one hand? I'm not comparing this to a qwerty dude.

I also typed it slow so you can see what I'm doing lol.

Posted via CB10 Right on Cue
    07-26-14 02:01 PM
    With one hand? I'm not comparing this to a qwerty dude.
    Why not? The Passport (almost) has a qwerty.
    And do you really think you can use the Passport one handed?
    If you are bigfoot maybe, but in that case I doubt you could easily press anything on a phone.

Anyway, 17 seconds one handed. With comma and full stop. To be fair, I misspelled "See" and wrote "se", but I didn't use auto correct.
    That would have been really fast, because "See" was suggested, "how" was suggested after the h, quick was suggested if not immediately after the I, "it" was suggested immediately, and "was" was too. I would only had to add the question mark, which is faster.
    07-26-14 02:32 PM
    I know I might flamed for this, but hear me out.

I've been using Swift key on my Android lately and I have to admit they've got something real good going on.

I won't go into explaining it but people who have used it would know what I'm taking about.

They way they implement one handed typing and symbols and numbers is better than how blackberry has done it with the use of the alt key.

Was just thinking if it was a patent they have but if not, if blackberry could do something similar. I could see this as a huge benefit to the hybrid Kb of the passport.

There are things about Swift key that aren't as good such as deleting words and two handed typing.

What do you think?

Keyboards are intensely personal so what works for me may not work for you but one thing I'd like to see on the BlackBerry keyboard is long press and get the alt character. For me the alt character is normally mucj more useful!
    07-30-14 09:41 AM