Newly returned to the world of BlackBerry, attracted by the Passport, I have the following experiences and questions after a few weeks use. Any pointers and support are welcome, thanks.

Twitter: I get a suggestion in the hub, do you know these people? Click it and not only does it open in browser, it always says this page does not exist.

Facebook: an in-app notification tells me two friends have a birthday today. Click it the browser opens again and asks if I want to sign in to Facebook.

Contacts: I got sent a vCard. BB cant handle it. Do I really need to find an app and follow a thirteen step process to add a new contact I have been sent?

YouTube: embedded videos in the browser show me the start image, click to play and up comes an error, every time. I dont want to try later, I want to see it now!

LinkedIn. Now youd expect the behemoth of professional social networking to fly in the BB world. So where do you update your profile on-the-go, because I cant find it?

The Amazon deal for android apps is great, but where are the apps I had when on android e.g. Carbon for Twitter, Udemy and whats the will-work on BBP and wont-work on BBP difference?

Miracast: is there anything out there that makes this work, or better still an alternative to cast my screen? If its a redundant as it appears, will BB put some urgent work into a better agreement. I have Apple TV and Chromecast, both would be great. Either would be better.
    11-14-14 05:07 PM
    My LinkedIn works fine on my Passport and just a got a "sent vcard" without issues. My Twitter and Facebook are working fine too. Just curious what OS 10.3 version is your Passport running?

If you can, side load SNAP for more android apps options.
    11-16-14 05:21 PM
    Hi and thank you.
    I was on 10.3.0.675 and having just seen your reply am now updating to 908.
    I took a look at SNAP and how to side load. It looks a bit too techy for me and the Playbook references and Q10's etc aren't what I have. Is there a fundamental issue with all and any android apps being installed on BB? Each time I've use the Amazon Appstore I get the same warning that it's not a BBW app, as if I didn't know! As for the risks in accepting the install, how would I know when all I want is the app functionality?
    Re: LinkedIn, yes, it runs well, but seems to lack a profile edit option.
    Last edited by andyrudge; 11-17-14 at 02:19 PM. Reason: update to earlier text
    11-17-14 02:07 PM
    Just tried the vCard again after updating to 908 and still get the same 'unsupported attachment' notification.
    11-17-14 02:53 PM
    Hi and thank you.
    I was on 10.3.0.675 and having just seen your reply am now updating to 908.
    I took a look at SNAP and how to side load. It looks a bit too techy for me and the Playbook references and Q10's etc aren't what I have. Is there a fundamental issue with all and any android apps being installed on BB? Each time I've use the Amazon Appstore I get the same warning that it's not a BBW app, as if I didn't know! As for the risks in accepting the install, how would I know when all I want is the app functionality?
    Re: LinkedIn, yes, it runs well, but seems to lack a profile edit option.
    Update it it runs a lot better

Posted via perfectly Sq BlackBerry Passport
    11-17-14 02:55 PM
    I will maybe get in trouble with other posters by saying this to you BUT----just try to get over the fear of loading SNAP and DO IT. You will not regret it and it will add so much more to your experience and enjoyment of the device. This is not rocket science. Just read the instructions on this website about installing Snap: How to use Snap on BlackBerry 10 to install Android APK files | CrackBerry.com and you will be wondering why you did not do this much sooner. Hope this helps!
    andyrudge likes this.
    11-17-14 03:02 PM
    My LinkedIn works fine on my Passport and just a got a "sent vcard" without issues. My Twitter and Facebook are working fine too. Just curious what OS 10.3 version is your Passport running?

If you can, side load SNAP for more android apps options.
    In my passport, the twitter and facebook is not installing. My OS version is 10.3.0.1418.

Got any ideas?

This error is showing:

Can anyone help me with a few questions about the BB Passport?-img_20141118_155301.png

Varun Shah,
    BBM Channel: C002CA0BA
    Twitter: @imvarunshah
    Facebook: cavarunshah

Posted via CB10 on my Passport (OS 10.3.0.1418)
    11-18-14 07:30 AM
    I have same OS version as you, so you must have something else that's corrupting your device.
    Tell me, is your OS official or leaked? Since you got the Passport have you ever turned it off and restarted it? If you haven't, try that and hope that might correct the "kink" in your device. If that fails, maybe you should try a "hard reboot" and see what happens. Keep me posted.
    11-18-14 09:19 AM
    OP I always found vCard being an issue with BlackBerry and any other device. Especially iOS. If someone sends me a vCard from iPhone, I can't open it. If I send a vCard to iPhone user, they can't open it.

I don't have the same experience on Android though. I am not sure why iOS is not playing well with other mobile OSes.

Can you confirm the mobile OS the vCard originated from?

Posted with my super duper BlackBerry Passport.
    11-18-14 09:26 AM
    Download the snap. Believe me man it is NOT difficult i waited months on end before i did it after i knew it was possible because i thought it would be too difficult being that I'm not a tech person.

Posted via CB10
    andyrudge likes this.
    11-18-14 09:42 AM
    Newly returned to the world of BlackBerry, attracted by the Passport, I have the following experiences and questions after a few weeks use. Any pointers and support are welcome, thanks.

Twitter: I get a suggestion in the hub, do you know these people? Click it and not only does it open in browser, it always says this page does not exist.

Facebook: an in-app notification tells me two friends have a birthday today. Click it the browser opens again and asks if I want to sign in to Facebook.

Contacts: I got sent a vCard. BB cant handle it. Do I really need to find an app and follow a thirteen step process to add a new contact I have been sent?

YouTube: embedded videos in the browser show me the start image, click to play and up comes an error, every time. I dont want to try later, I want to see it now!

LinkedIn. Now youd expect the behemoth of professional social networking to fly in the BB world. So where do you update your profile on-the-go, because I cant find it?

The Amazon deal for android apps is great, but where are the apps I had when on android e.g. Carbon for Twitter, Udemy and whats the will-work on BBP and wont-work on BBP difference?

Miracast: is there anything out there that makes this work, or better still an alternative to cast my screen? If its a redundant as it appears, will BB put some urgent work into a better agreement. I have Apple TV and Chromecast, both would be great. Either would be better.
    Facebook: that's bound to happen. Your browser app doesn't know the creds for logging into your fb account. Enter the details once, select save login details when you see the pop-up, and it wouldn't ask you the next time.

Android apps: DOWNLOAD SNAP.

LinkedIn : yes, you can't edit your profile from the app.

Youtube: I don't face that issue. So, I am assuming it has something to do with the OS version you are running.

Contacts: I believe this happens with devices across platforms. Although I've never faced an issue with contact cards on BB10, I've seen this happening on a lot of devices, including Androids, BlackBerrys, and iPhones.

Twitter: I get these notifications in an email and have always been able to read them, but if they are in-app notifications in your case, I believe it has to be the same issue as the one mentioned with FB above. Unless you've asked the browser to save your login details for Twitter, there's no way for it to access the page your trying without you entering the details.

Miracast: Yet to try it. Maybe someone else can answer that here.

Posted via CB10
    andyrudge likes this.
    11-18-14 10:06 AM
    In my passport, the twitter and facebook is not installing. My OS version is 10.3.0.1418.

Got any ideas?

This error is showing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141118_155301.png 
Views:	867 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	315230

Varun Shah,
    BBM Channel: C002CA0BA
    Twitter: @imvarunshah
    Facebook: cavarunshah

Posted via CB10 on my Passport (OS 10.3.0.1418)
    Are you sure that's not a network error? Also, didn't you get Twitter and Facebook pre-installed on your device?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:14 AM
    Are you sure that's not a network error? Also, didn't you get Twitter and Facebook pre-installed on your device?

Posted via CB10
    It was there in the device, but an error was popping on opening : mentioned in IT Policy disabled list.

So I deleted and tried to reinstall. Same error came before even installing.

______________________________________ Varun Shah, BBM Channel: C002CA0BA Twitter: @imvarunshah Facebook: cavarunshah Posted via CB10 on my Q10 (OS 10.2.1.3442)
    11-18-14 01:45 PM
    I bit the proverbial bullet and installed Snap. You were right!
    A big thank you to those who encouraged the leap; very much appreciated.
    Skyforever and brookie229 like this.
    11-18-14 02:12 PM
    It was there in the device, but an error was popping on opening : mentioned in IT Policy disabled list.

So I deleted and tried to reinstall. Same error came before even installing.

______________________________________ Varun Shah, BBM Channel: C002CA0BA Twitter: @imvarunshah Facebook: cavarunshah Posted via CB10 on my Q10 (OS 10.2.1.3442)
    Okay. I don't really understand this side of the phone use, but given the error you get, is your phone configured for Work usage? If so, it could be that Work space restricts access to social networking apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:09 PM
    Youtube: there's two ways: one is activate the flash option on setings, presentations and acciona, second one is click on the view on youtube icon on the right bottom corner of the video window. Solve

Posted via CB 10 app from a glorious BlackBerry Passport
    11-19-14 12:26 AM
    Thanks for the response.
    Flash is enabled within the browser and I'm looking to watch on the site I find, not bounce to YouTube each time.
    Unsolved, sadly.
    11-19-14 09:26 AM
    Thanks for the pointers; I have now installed Snap and it's a big help.
    YouTube - so yours plays the video on the page? What OS are you on?
    RE: FB and Twitter it makes no sense to me why an in-app notification or a hub notice when clicked opens the browser and not the app.
    I updated the OS to 908 and it still cannot read a vCard sent from an iPhone. It's embarrassing to text a friend who's sent it and ask for the details in a text!
    Miracast - I got a Toshiba DVD player with Miracast on it, does it work? Well ... NO!!
    Guess we'll have to wait for BB to ditch it in favour of something better.

Thanks for your help.
    11-19-14 09:34 AM
    RE: FB and Twitter it makes no sense to me why an in-app notification or a hub notice when clicked opens the browser and not the app.
    I updated the OS to 908 and it still cannot read a vCard sent from an iPhone. It's embarrassing to text a friend who's sent it and ask for the details in a text!
    Miracast - I got a Toshiba DVD player with Miracast on it, does it work? Well ... NO!!

Thanks for your help.
    I use Netgear Model: PTV3000 for Miracast on my Passport. Works like a charm, but I did prefer using it with the Z30 form factor (landscape mode) was even better.
    11-19-14 09:51 AM
    Don't know if this will help you but you might consider installing 10.3.1.1151. I'm using the latest OS on my Passport 10.3.1.1151 and it's working very well. Only problem is I had to sideload Blend 74 bar for Blend to function again. You never know...it might help you in other ways with your phone.
    11-19-14 10:08 AM

Thanks for your help.
    Oh. Mybad. No idea what I was thinking there. You are right, it doesn't make sense. Did the update fix this issue for you?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 10:29 AM