Problem with the PP's camera is that it takes forever to steady itself with the optical image stabilization - by the time I actually take a picture, I've lost the moment. Add to that how it only retains focus for like 1-2 seconds before going blurry again and having to refocus, which takes longer than the amount of time it's in focus in the first place - I don't really use the camera at all anymore, it's just not user friendly despite all the megapixel. Note 3 had a much better camera.
    11-02-14 03:07 PM
    I really like the low light images on the Blackberry Passport. Especially the house picture with the bricks.
    The brick colours are crisp, clear and show the real colour of the bricks. The first picture is so yellowish and doesn't
    show the true colours. Each have their pro and cons. 13mp is way better then 8mb, Apple needs to improve on the MP.
    8mp is old technology and camera specs are not up to par.
    You aren't actually comparing the PP camera to the iPhone 6's are you? Because that's no contest. IPhone wins every time. It's pretty much top of the class for smartphone cameras with the Note 4, (notwithstanding that one ridiculous Lumia phone).
    11-02-14 03:10 PM
    Camera 10.3.1.1016 is better and sharper.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 03:12 PM
    You aren't actually comparing the PP camera to the iPhone 6's are you? Because that's no contest. IPhone wins every time. It's pretty much top of the class for smartphone cameras with the Note 4, (notwithstanding that one ridiculous Lumia phone).
    I think someone has their iphone blinders on.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 03:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've got a PP, but I'm not some BB fanboy like EVERYONE that actually has the gall to suggest the PP has a better camera than the iPhone 6. You won't find that viewpoint replicated in ANY professional review on the internets.
    passport1 likes this.
    11-02-14 03:30 PM
    Thanks for your opinion. But me as a consumer will choose the Blackberry passport over iPhone 6. I don't want my pictures at night looking like that.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 04:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    Good laugh

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 04:27 PM
    I've got a PP, but I'm not some BB fanboy like EVERYONE that actually has the gall to suggest the PP has a better camera than the iPhone 6. You won't find that viewpoint replicated in ANY professional review on the internets.
    I can already read the headline if BlackBerry had a 8mp camera.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 04:29 PM
    Interesting. In review sites' comparisons, the iPhone 6 looks far better, whereas here it's more or less a tossup.

What's the difference? Improvements with the OS update? A savvy user using the right camera mode?

- an owner of both a Passport and an iPhone 6

Posted with my Passport via CB10!
    11-02-14 04:32 PM
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-6...ews-19611.html

For those who actual owned and used the iphone6 we are very familiar with the iphone6 limitations and countless problems. The above is bang on with some of the issues I had to deal with.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 06:21 PM
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-6...ews-19611.html

For those who actual owned and used the iphone6 we are very familiar with the iphone6 limitations and countless problems. The above is bang on with some of the issues I had to deal with.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the link.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 06:27 PM
    Appreciate the effort. I shoot lots of pics using canon 5d series cameras in raw. It's obvious that iphone 6 pics are definitely post processed in the color tone and contrast that are more mainstream and appealing generally, almost like how the 5d would produce the jpeg straight in camera. It makes sense for ios to process as such. The passport pics looks almost raw like with poorer contrast and color rendition, which actually makes the images look more 'natural '

Posted via CB10
    eldrover likes this.
    11-02-14 07:41 PM
    I might be late to the party but it seems like my observations yesterday when I as taking pictures with my passport are true. Passport takes good pictures in low light but as soon as it gets even slightly bright, the pictures looked very washed out.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-14-14 10:24 PM
    Appreciate the effort. I shoot lots of pics using canon 5d series cameras in raw. It's obvious that iphone 6 pics are definitely post processed in the color tone and contrast that are more mainstream and appealing generally, almost like how the 5d would produce the jpeg straight in camera. It makes sense for ios to process as such. The passport pics looks almost raw like with poorer contrast and color rendition, which actually makes the images look more 'natural '

Posted via CB10
    The Passport image look like mush, I'm sorry. Maybe the color is flatter, but nothing else resembles raw. I have a Passport and a family member has an iPhone 6+. The iPhone is so much sharper and cleaner.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 10:34 PM
    Thanks for the comparison. It looks like iPhone pictures are taken in early Spring and Passport pictures in early Autumn. Slightly warmer on the Passport, but I wonder who nails the natural colors better. Seems like the iPhone...

Anyway, this is good. I thought Passport pictures would be much worse, but they look pretty good. This was one of the issues that kept me thinking about buying a new iPhone instesd of the Passport. I take gazzilions pictures every week.

How would you compare the speed of camera loading and picture taking on both devices?

Thank you!
    11-26-14 10:07 AM
    Thx for doing these tests. I think we can put to bed any concerns of inferior Passport cameras. But of course, all these images look way better on the awesome Passport display :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 10:55 AM
    Camera ++ is your answer. Native app on BBW.

Posted via CB10
    Can't find Camera ++, just Camera+, which seems to be an autotimer app for selfies.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 11:02 AM
    Can't find Camera ++, just Camera+, which seems to be an autotimer app for selfies.

Posted via CB10
    Can he post a link?

Passport is heaven
    11-26-14 11:44 PM
    What I'd like to know is are there people at Blackberry dedicated to the camera software and hardware or only when enough complaints or bad reviews come in.
    My only issue with the passport camera is focusing time and random blurred pics. Like a hand moving slightly gets blurred big time. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 12:01 AM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    What I'd like to know is are there people at Blackberry dedicated to the camera software and hardware or only when enough complaints or bad reviews come in.
    My only issue with the passport camera is focusing time and random blurred pics. Like a hand moving slightly gets blurred big time. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Posted via CB10
    I have read that OS 10.3.1 corrects a lot of this... hope so.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 12:45 AM
    I'll be patient then.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 01:34 AM
    They are both comparable in todays standard. I can't tell the differences and don't intend to compare every details. Unless we are comparing the Passport with the iPhone 1, 2 and 3. I'm sure I will notice the difference instantly.
    11-27-14 01:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    My opinion exactly. My PP images are easy to adjust to my liking due to the rawness I think they have.

From my mighty PassPort
    11-27-14 04:33 AM
    Is that something the passport can correct with a software update? It's just about software processing the image afterwards right? Am I wrong?

Posted using the fabulous 10.3.0.1052 on my Z10
    My understanding is camera hardware is top quality. Should be able to catch up to and even surpass iPhone with focused software updates. BlackBerry recently was hiring specifically for camera software engineers, so here's hoping things improve (not that they are so terrible right now).

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 06:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    My understanding is BlackBerry was recently adding software engineers with an understanding of photography to their team.
    Photography is so much in the eye of the beholder. The difference between the PP and iPhone almost certainly comes down to a difference in post-processing, with the iPhone being more developed and massaged to produce the image we expect to see.
    The reality is, unless we know what the original scene looked like, we really have no clue whether the PP or iPhone image is doing a better job of replicating the scene. All we can say at this point is which image looks more pleasing to me, which can hardly make it "better" in any objective way.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 06:55 AM
123 ... 2345