Passport photos looks more real hut the iPhone ones looks 'prettier' I think they are supposed to though for all the selfies taking hipsters

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 03:14 PM
    I just wished BlackBerry would provide more manual controls, in particular white balance presents and MANUAL white balance!

Manual focus would be great as would aperture priority and shutter speed priority and full manual modes and exposure compensation.

What company could BlackBerry partner with to develop camera algorithms ? Photographer preferences would certain apply here but a company like Nikon might be a good match.

All that said, for general snapshots, the phones are doing a fine job all things considered, certainly better than the (rough) equivalent: The 126 Instamatic camera. (A good match because of Passport has a square screen!!!)
    Camera ++ is your answer. Native app on BBW.

Posted via CB10
    bull_thumper likes this.
    10-03-14 03:24 PM
    The two big differences are the PP's preference for blowing out highlights (even significant ones) and the fact that it has an excessively warm white balance in natural light. It appears that the PP is doing a better job with WB in tungsten light. Of course, this is all software and can be easily fine tuned in OS updates. The camera optics seem great on both cameras. The sharpening and NR are reasonable with both cameras. The Passport does allow easily mitigating the WB issue with the excellent built-in photo editor. The Passport's OIS seems to be doing a good job.

The blown highlights on the PP are slightly more difficult to overcome in-camera; although you can refocus easily on the PP, and the exposure is calculated at the focus point, the camera app doesn't allow separate focus and exposure lock, so there are some situations in which you'd have a difficult time easily overcoming that problem with a single shot. However, a workaround is to take an HDR picture and enable the 'save all HDR frames' option in the camera, allowing you to then utilize the -1 or -2 EV shot as your base photo.

One of the two "camera++" apps in BB World does allow EC and WB adjustments, but it's not currently "available" for the PP for some reason. Hopefully the dev marks it compatible in the near future.

There is extra detail in the 13MP shot from the PP, which is helpful; resizing to 8MP would likely provide a very nice looking photo.

All in all, I can't see the camera _output_ as driving the use of one phone over the other.
    melb_me and andy957 like this.
    10-03-14 03:31 PM
    Camera ++ is your answer. Native app on BBW.

Posted via CB10
    Not available for the PP.
    I am in no way a photo expert and can't really tell what makes a photo better or worse. All I can say if from the pictures taken in some the Passport looks like it does a better job than iPhone, specially in low light. There are a few where you can't really see a big difference.
    All in all the pp has a great camera quality. I wonder why they went with th 13mpx when the iPhone is doing a fantastic job just at 8. An I now good pictures have nothing to do with mpx, I'm just wondering why they made that choice, to please consumers?

Posted using the fabulous 10.3.0.1052 on my Z10
    Same here. I know nothing about photography, but I like how the Passport performed in this comparison.

Posted via CB10
    I notice that you didn't take any flash pictures- would you be able to do so?

The PP's flash performance is absolutely spectacular compared to the Z10 and Q10 (and better than the IP5). I haven't tried the Z30 for comparison.
    10-03-14 03:33 PM
    The developer of camera++ said: "Camera++ for Passport will be available soon and it's going to be even better than for older BlackBerry 10 devices (it seems that Passport supports manual shutter speed of up to 0.5 sec). We will announce it on CrackBerry forums."
    annon91221 and Taigatrommel like this.
    10-03-14 03:44 PM
    I've done some camera tests of my own between the iPhone 6 and the Passport, and I'm sorry to say that the iPhone is seemingly better in all light. Passport is really heavily compressed, lots of arifacting, unclear in even good light. The iPhone may be lower res, but it has a higher acutance and micro contrast. Essentially, the iPhone has more practical resolution. It's sharper, even though it has fewer megapixels. Maybe it's the lens, maybe it's the underlying algorithm, but I'm not terribly pleased with the muddiness of the Passport photos I'm getting.

Posted with Passport via CB10
    10-03-14 04:04 PM
    I've done some camera tests of my own between the iPhone 6 and the Passport, and I'm sorry to say that the iPhone is seemingly better in all light. Passport is really heavily compressed, lots of arifacting, unclear in even good light. The iPhone may be lower res, but it has a higher acutance and micro contrast. Essentially, the iPhone has more practical resolution. It's sharper, even though it has fewer megapixels. Maybe it's the lens, maybe it's the underlying algorithm, but I'm not terribly pleased with the muddiness of the Passport photos I'm getting.

The iphone probably is best precisely because it has less megapixels. Less megapixel density means better image quality. And knowing that a full HD TV is 2.1megapixels, 8megapixels is more than enough for a phone camera

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 04:22 PM
    Camera ++ is your answer. Native app on BBW.Posted via CB10
    Thank you for your suggestion. I have just purchased it and performed a couple of tests and it is definitely a step in the right direction. I like definitely like the basics of the UI and at least some control over white balance.

I just hope they'll have it updated for the Passport by the time I can get one on Veri... well, you know. (grin)

Thanks again for the recommendation !
    The Big Picture likes this.
    10-03-14 04:23 PM
    Seems like the iPhone is not as warm as the passport. It's tones are lighter and might have better auto WB.

Thanks op this is a great post!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 = heaven.
    10-03-14 05:20 PM
    Interesting to see the difference l, it seems like the Passport is better at low light shots whereas the iPhone seems to handle normal light better.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 05:29 PM
    Thanks for the grand comparison

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    10-03-14 05:41 PM
    With regards to the tree bark photo - the Passport actually captures the true colour of the moment. This was late afternoon and the sun was casting a yellow glow over the park. The Passport captured this colour, whereas the iPhone tried to neutralise the colour.

Just wanted to clarify that part
    10-03-14 05:42 PM
    Loving the night shots with the Passport!
    10-03-14 05:47 PM
    With regards to the tree bark photo - the Passport actually captures the true colour of the moment. This was late afternoon and the sun was casting a yellow glow over the park. The Passport captured this colour, whereas the iPhone tried to neutralise the colour.

Just wanted to clarify that part
    Very apparent with the brick wall too. IPhone color doesn't look natural.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    farmwersteve likes this.
    10-03-14 06:44 PM
    I find the passport has too high ISO and loses detail in some darker photos. Sometimes I'm really impressed and other times not so much, and autofocus is hit or miss, hopefully a software update soon... but when it does a good job, it's great . The closeup is cropped
    Camera Showdown:  iPhone 6 vs Passport-img_20141002_170218_edit.jpg
    Camera Showdown:  iPhone 6 vs Passport-img_20141003_171152_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    austriker likes this.
    10-04-14 03:29 PM
    I found the iPhone was better for some, and the Passport was better for others. It's easy to tell when HDR would have assisted on the Passport. I'd like to see the test repeated, but when the iPhone switches to HDR, switch the Passport, as well. I'm interested in comparing the HDR results. It's essentially a tie to me.

To be fair, Apple has spent a long time perfecting their camera software. Each update for BlackBerry 10 has improved the camera, so far; I'm sure it'll continue to get better.

I use a Z10 and have taken some fantastic photos. I've had many iPhone users (I am an ex iSheep myself) tell me that my Z10 takes great, and better, photos than their iPhones. A couple times a friend and I would take photos of something and he'd complain about the poor quality. He'd thenlook at the photos I'd taken and say mine were much better.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 03:18 AM
    I think the passport looks more realistic.
    Not saying better or worse, it just looks how I would imagine those shots would have looked to the naked eye

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 06:35 AM
    Most of the photos aren't significantly different. I'd say that the cameras are pretty comparable. A user who knows the proper settings for various conditions using either camera would capture decent shots.

I think the argument that BlackBerry devices have shi#*y cameras is leftover from BBOS and doesn't give proper credit to BB10.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    alpha beta gaga likes this.
    10-05-14 08:40 AM
    I think the passport looks more realistic.
    Not saying better or worse, it just looks how I would imagine those shots would have looked to the naked eye

Posted via CB10
    I agree, look at the 2nd set of photos of the tree, I hardly think the blue of the sky was naturally that color on that day, the 2nd photo is more of what the naked eye would see, same way with the color of the bricks, I think the iphone has way to much post processing going on or it just applies a filter which it thinks is best

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 10:02 AM
    The Iphone camera seems to be one of the best phone cameras and is most likely a little better than the passports. Each new I phone seems to have a camera that's just that bit better than the android competition, not a lot. Passport has same hardware as some android devices. Software may be better or worse? From what I've seen it's probably about the same.

Compared to dedicated digital cameras though, still neither compare very well.

That said, both are probably good enough for most people otherwise Nokia would have had more success with their phones that have had the best phone cameras.

What I do like a lot with the passport
    The space bar can be used to take a picture.
    This is good when you hold the phone sideways and helps in taking more consistent pictures.
    It's easy to take pictures one handed.

What I have noticed with all phone cameras I've tried. The photo results are highly variable, sometimes finding focus quickly, sometimes being completely brainless, for this reason I take any photo comparison with a pinch of salt. It's not possible to know how many times the reviewer tried before getting the shot. It's not possible to know if they just got lucky first time?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 10:34 AM
    iPhone shots look better to me. The Passport shots look over saturated. Overall they both seem pretty decent to me.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-05-14 11:08 AM
    iPhone shots look better to me. The Passport shots look over saturated. Overall they both seem pretty decent to me.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    I agree on saturation. iPhone is more natural, less compression, less gain, better lens (I am seeing lots of purple fringing on my Passport). Still the Passport has a decent camera. Just not great.

10-05-14 11:19 AM
    i think the actual optics in the passport are fine. I think the software is still just not there yet.
    10-05-14 11:35 AM
123 1234 ...