OK folks - here it is. A camera showdown between the iPhone 6 and the BlackBerry Passport.

Let me start off with some considerations, observations and caveats.

• Settings - Auto settings were used on both devices. In the case of the iPhone, the device would auto-engage HDR in some shots, which can explain some differences visible. I purposely did not want to change from default on both cameras to give an indication of what a point and shoot experience looks like. For reference, the Passport automatically switches into a night mode in dark scenes also.
    • Focal Point - It's nearly impossible to capture the exact same focal point when comparing two cameras. So take this into consideration when comparing shots. Some shots might capture fine detail at one focal point, whereas the other camera captures fine detail in a slightly different spot. Look around the image to find the focal point first before comparing.
    • Lens Advantage - The iPhone 6 was brand new out of the box moments before the photo shoot, this it had a pristine lens. The Passport has seen quote some use and rough treatment, so while I tried to clean the lens as best as I could, it's likely that it's a little more worn. This may affect the clarity of some shots.
    • Autofocus was easier on the iPhone. Quite simply, it's easier to take photos with. I love BlackBerry, but need to be honest about the ease of taking photos with the iPhone. There were times when I had to re-focus the Passport to get the shot, whereas the iPhone snapped it first try.
    • Both devices were hand held, and I did my best to hold them as still as humanly possible. I also tried to frame as best as I could both sets of images when taking the shot.
    • Passport was set to 4:3 ratio, whereas iPhone naturally comes in 4:3 mode. This was the only change made to the Passport to replicate the same image size as iPhone.
    • Both cameras appear to have pros and cons. Passport is generally brighter, at the risk of something appearing 'blown out'. iPhone on the other hand is sometimes too dark. Passport appears warmer in daytime shots and cooler in night time shorts - with the iPhone being the opposite. Auto HDR gives the iPhone the advantage is high contrast shots.
    • Overall, an impressive showing from both devices in a range of conditions.
    • Full size images are available for comparison. These are the raw, unedited shots.
    Last edited by higherdestiny; 10-03-14 at 08:48 AM.
    10-03-14 08:23 AM
    10-03-14 08:23 AM
    Interesting. PP better at low light while iP better in good light. Least that's how I see it.
    Chrisy and hiltaguard like this.
    10-03-14 09:05 AM
    I have to complain about how the passport deals with the highlights... It just blows the highlights completely. Too much contrast in software post process

The Dinamic Range on the Iphone is so much better. Passport seems to do better in low light, maybe it's using the OIS+lower shutter speed
    howarmat and Alvin Loh like this.
    10-03-14 09:08 AM
    Thanks for this, definitely helped ease some nerves about the Passport camera for me. As I expected iPhone 6 performs better, but the Passport isn't too far behind in terms of clarity and contrast. Low light images are interesting though, personally I prefer the Passport shots to iPhone.
    damien kupuku likes this.
    10-03-14 09:15 AM
    I dont think anyone should have any complaints about the Passport camera if you already liked the iP6 pictures

Those look really really good

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    damien kupuku likes this.
    10-03-14 09:19 AM
    I am in no way a photo expert and can't really tell what makes a photo better or worse. All I can say if from the pictures taken in some the Passport looks like it does a better job than iPhone, specially in low light. There are a few where you can't really see a big difference.
    All in all the pp has a great camera quality. I wonder why they went with th 13mpx when the iPhone is doing a fantastic job just at 8. An I now good pictures have nothing to do with mpx, I'm just wondering why they made that choice, to please consumers?

Posted using the fabulous 10.3.0.1052 on my Z10
    10-03-14 09:27 AM
    Interesting to see they each perform better in different areas. Although some of the shots from your Passport seem very strange to me, I haven't had much issues with lighting. But I only take pictures occasionally on my phone anyway.
    Especially the colour difference on the close-up of the tree bark, seems opposite to what the rest of the sets show.

I would share some comparisons as well, but I do not own a second phone.

Of course I was already quite satisfied with the photos I could shoot with my Q10, so maybe this is not the right thread for me. *shrug*
    _____

Aside from quality, what about the experience/ease of use? With the new Camera app options on 10.3, do you think the Passport offers a more user friendly experience than the iPhone? For Panorama photos for example, or HDR/Timed shots?
    What about the native editing options, are you able to easily correct some of the "flaws" in the pictures you took?
    And does the same apply to videos, or are the differences less noticeable there?
    10-03-14 09:33 AM
    I think iPhone wins in this contest.. by far. The iP is better in indoor n outdoor. The contrast is better, the collor is more natural, and the sharpness n brightness are better also. But is it a software problem or hardware? How about redo the contest using another app like camera++. It's just a thought, though.

Posted via CB10
    chinmay007 likes this.
    10-03-14 09:38 AM
    I think iPhone wins in this contest.. by far. The iP is better in indoor n outdoor. The contrast is better, the collor is more natural, and the sharpness n brightness are better also. But is it a software problem or hardware? How about redo the contest using another app like camera++. It's just a thought, though.

Posted via CB10
    Is that something the passport can correct with a software update? It's just about software processing the image afterwards right? Am I wrong?

Posted using the fabulous 10.3.0.1052 on my Z10
    10-03-14 09:43 AM
    I have to complain about how the passport deals with the highlights... It just blows the highlights completely. Too much contrast in software post process

The Dinamic Range on the Iphone is so much better. Passport seems to do better in low light, maybe it's using the OIS+lower shutter speed
    I agree it seems the color is off on the passport in some shots. I think its good in low light almost to the point it over does it.
    Joao Oliveira and mjdimer like this.
    10-03-14 09:44 AM
    I have to agree that the iPhone has nicer shots. I take a lot of pictures with my Q10 and I have to take my time to get a good shot often moving the focal box until I get the right lighting. No matter what I do, night time pictures are very weak at best. These pictures look very encouraging.
    10-03-14 09:48 AM
    Wow BlackBerry passport is quite good for a BlackBerry smartphone, I think hardware is not a problem so BlackBerry should need to improve on the image processing software for it

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 09:50 AM
    Below are actual-size screenshots of one of the night time shots from above. You can see where the extra megapixels of the Passport come into play. You can see that both cameras lack the detail at this level which is typical of cellphone cameras, but the Passport is larger, it has captured significantly more information so you could do more with the Passport photo than you could with the iPhone one.

Camera Showdown:  iPhone 6 vs Passport-screenshot-2014-10-03-10.49.48.png
    Camera Showdown:  iPhone 6 vs Passport-screenshot-2014-10-03-10.50.04.jpg
    10-03-14 10:00 AM
    I just wished BlackBerry would provide more manual controls, in particular white balance presents and MANUAL white balance!

Manual focus would be great as would aperture priority and shutter speed priority and full manual modes and exposure compensation.

What company could BlackBerry partner with to develop camera algorithms ? Photographer preferences would certain apply here but a company like Nikon might be a good match.

All that said, for general snapshots, the phones are doing a fine job all things considered, certainly better than the (rough) equivalent: The 126 Instamatic camera. (A good match because of Passport has a square screen!!!)
    10-03-14 12:11 PM
    Thanks to the OP for the effort put fourth to make this post.
    10-03-14 12:41 PM
    I thought the Passport photos were quite good. Certainly nothing to complain about. I'd say it's an adequate competitor to the other flagships.

Posted via CB10 on VZW BlackBerry Z30
    10-03-14 01:15 PM
    Why do people keep saying the iPhone photos looked better? It's very plain to see this goes back and forth. For example in the last photo the iPhone has a yellowish tint everywhere, which cannot be natural.

This seems more like a wash in different settings. I so not see a clear winner here at all.

Perhaps a Passport and iPhone 6+ would be a better comparison since they both use OIS.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    10-03-14 01:21 PM
    PP's better look at those colors

iOS 8.0.2 - 10.3.0.1052
    10-03-14 01:30 PM
    The iPhone photos looks like photos after photoshop one, so it looks better. But I can see the passport photos has more details. Use Camera++ to take the photos with your BlackBerry passport and everyone will say it is same or better than iPhone one I guess

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 01:43 PM
    My guess is, like most things with Apple software, the "in camera" processing (software) is more aggressive. I found that when I get pics to process for friends (yes, I actually do photoshop for a good part of my living) the iPhone pics are heavily processed, so, as mentioned by others, there's little other than basic editing you can do. On my Z10, and most definitely on my new Passport, there is more information to play with (contrast, curves etc) to tweak the images. In my world at least, a less processed image is better. What I'd love to see is a RAW image from both cameras, then we can really compare Apples to Blackberries (as it were).
    andy957 and HereticHermit like this.
    10-03-14 01:48 PM
    Overall, I prefer the PP photos. iP photos are too yellow tinted or lack warmth in many pictures and too dark in those lowlight pics. Although PP does need to tweak a little more since in the full light pics, the colours do look a bit on the saturated side.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    10-03-14 02:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm not seeing that iPhone is better. Both are very good but the iPhone seems to have a yellow tint of some kind.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    10-03-14 02:54 PM
    I don't see much quality difference in these photos. I actually prefer the PP photos. Anyway, we at least don't need to worry about that ugly bulge from the back of the phone. Probably the ugliest design choice I have seen from any phone.
    10-03-14 03:05 PM
    OK folks - here it is. A camera showdown between the iPhone 6 and the BlackBerry Passport.

Let me start off with some considerations, observations and caveats.

• Settings - Auto settings were used on both devices. In the case of the iPhone, the device would auto-engage HDR in some shots, which can explain some differences visible. I purposely did not want to change from default on both cameras to give an indication of what a point and shoot experience looks like. For reference, the Passport automatically switches into a night mode in dark scenes also.
    Did the Passport suggest HDR mode when relevant? I see it suggest HDR in most high contrast situations.

My point being that if the PP "suggests" HDR, it would be reasonable to accept and select it.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and AnotherBillJ like this.
    10-03-14 03:10 PM
123 123 ...