i think the actual optics in the passport are fine. I think the software is still just not there yet.
    I think you're right about the passport need for some software tweaks, especialy with the "over-sharpening" that it seems to do, but I also don't think the Optical quality is there, because as I saw with the LG G3, the lens seems to produce quite a bit of glare when exposed to a bright source of light as we can see in this picture against a Galaxy S5 (top) (LG G3 bottom)

Camera Showdown:  iPhone 6 vs Passport-camera-comparison-g3-s5-5.jpg

Guess wich one is the LG G3? yes, is the top one
    Camera Showdown:  iPhone 6 vs Passport-androidpit-lg-g3-galaxy-s5-camera-outdoors.jpg

Again
    Camera Showdown:  iPhone 6 vs Passport-lg-g3-vs.-gs5-photo-2.png

Before buying the passport, I have seen a few comparions of the LG G3 against other phones around the web, and this glare seems to happen sometimes... this is lens related. With not so brigh light, the G3 seems to get the contrasty imagens.
    10-05-14 01:14 PM
    yeah i noticed the glare was much more pronounced with the passport and you are right its in the G3 pics as well. glad you dug those up
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-05-14 01:20 PM
    I'm getting magenta fringing in high contrast situations. That's a glass problem, but it's not ruining the camera experience for me. The processing of the image is.

In fact, I'm actually preferring the fine detail from my Q10 to my Passport. As well as the white balance. Passport is too warm. But the Passport does have better dynamic range. Still, I like my Q10 shots more; they feel more true and clean.

Q10
    Camera Showdown:  iPhone 6 vs Passport-q10-towel.jpg

Passport
    Camera Showdown:  iPhone 6 vs Passport-img_20141005_125524.jpg

Posted with Passport via CB10
    10-05-14 01:48 PM
    I'm getting magenta fringing in high contrast situations. That's a glass problem, but it's not ruining the camera experience for me. The processing of the image is.

In fact, I'm actually preferring the fine detail from my Q10 to my Passport. As well as the white balance. Passport is too warm. But the Passport does have better dynamic range. Still, I like my Q10 shots more; they feel more true and clean.

Q10

Passport

The Q10 green cast is bothering me more than the passports slight magenta.
    10-05-14 01:53 PM
    The Q10 green cast is bothering me more than the passports slight magenta.
    You're right about the green cast. Though it's there at the edge of the shadow on the towel in the Passport photo too. Q10 is more green for sure. Magenta fringing isn't visible here. The granite is more true in the Q10, but I feel the towel is more true on the Passport.

Besides color, I still think the clarity is better on the Q10 in the towel. But hard to see on a forum.

I suppose the Passport is better looking at this size. But enlarging the photo causes the Passport to fall apart right away.

10-05-14 01:59 PM
    I think the argument that BlackBerry devices have shi#*y cameras is leftover from BBOS and doesn't give proper credit to BB10.
    I think a lot of that reputation is from the 9900 where they used a useless "always in focus" lens in order to make the device thin. The pictures might have been always in focus, but they were also always crap.

I found most of my other BBOS cameras ok, especially the 9700 and 9790.

I'm pretty satisfied with my Z10 camera. Not as good as my brother's GS4, but still perfectly acceptable.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-05-14 02:05 PM
    I think a lot of that reputation is from the 9900 where they used a useless "always in focus" lens in order to make the device thin. The pictures might have been always in focus, but they were also always crap.

I found most of my other BBOS cameras ok, especially the 9700 and 9790.

I'm pretty satisfied with my Z10 camera. Not as good as my brother's GS4, but still perfectly acceptable.

Agree. BB10 devices might not have the "Best" camara, but then, only one phone can have it, and I think BB10 cameras always had been very competitive, and the passport is no different, I think it's even closer to the top.

Passport camera has it's problems, but so does every camera from other phone... I posted the examples of the G3 vs GS5, but in low light, the Galaxy S5 has one of the worst performances. Even the Iphone wich I think is one of the best balanced cameras, if you zoom in (digital zoom = Image crop), you'll start to loose detail sooner than in higher megapixels phones like the Passport ot Galaxy S5
    10-05-14 02:16 PM
    I have no photography expertise whatsoever. After looking at the comparison, I liked the Passport photos better in low light situations. That seems to be the opinion shared by most of us photography neophytes.

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 on CB10!
    10-05-14 02:48 PM
    Here's some a comparison between the 2 cameras. In this case is the Iphone 6 plus. The video stabilization on the passport is even better than on the Iphone 6+, and the Iphone 6+ is know to have the smoothest stabilization during video

10-05-14 05:50 PM
    Thanks for this comparison. While not much of a photographer, there's really little in it between the two devices. That being said, both phones take photos that I deem far superior to my Z10.

It's amazing how far the quality of photos taken from phones has advanced in just a few years. I think the argument of which smartphone takes better photos and video is a true definition of a "first world problem."
    10-05-14 06:05 PM
    Thanks for this comparison. While not much of a photographer, there's really little in it between the two devices. That being said, both phones take photos that I deem far superior to my Z10.

It's amazing how far the quality of photos taken from phones has advanced in just a few years. I think the argument of which smartphone takes better photos and video is a true definition of a "first world problem."
    So true... There are some situations where one camera has an edge over the other, but overall they are very comparable, and if one of the cameras is enought for you, the other will be aswell.
    10-05-14 06:48 PM
    I have no photography expertise whatsoever. After looking at the comparison, I liked the Passport photos better in low light situations. That seems to be the opinion shared by most of us photography neophytes.

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 on CB10!
    Interesting. I'd have to disagree. I think the night images of the Passport aren't as good. Certain elements just don't seem natural. The image of the brick pillar is a perfect example. It's clearly dark out from the background. In the Passport photo the pillar is so bright you might think it was daylight. Something with the one of the garden lights.

I think both a good, but I think the iPhone has a slight edge.

10-05-14 06:57 PM
    I greatly appreciate the time and effort put in by the OP for this. Fantastic work.

I never thought I'd see the day when head to head comparisons of a cell phone's camera would be so significant. Lol

Reminds me of the DSLR head to head shootouts or lens comparisons I see in many photography magazines.

Nobody talks about the "phone" anymore.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    austriker and andy957 like this.
    10-05-14 07:52 PM
    I greatly appreciate the time and effort put in by the OP for this. Fantastic work.

I never thought I'd see the day when head to head comparisons of a cell phone's camera would be so significant. Lol

Reminds me of the DSLR head to head shootouts or lens comparisons I see in many photography magazines.

Nobody talks about the "phone" anymore.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    I can appreciate that comment. I'm a photo enthusiast. No smartphone comes close to the quality you can get from a m43 or APSC sensor. Panasonic is launching a smartphone with a 1 inch sensor, so that quality will be good. If photography is so important, and a primary driver in the the decision taken by one to select a device then go with Samsung (and now Panasonic) will have a few options. Apple still can't make a loud clear speakerphone. Nor can most other companies like Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, or Huawei. Motorola used to, not sure any more. BlackBerry kills here. That's important to me. Phone quality (earpiece) is also important. BB once again in the top 5 percentile, hands down.

If we're talking the PassPort camera, it's not the worst I have used on a smartphone, not the best. The autofocus is not as quick as I would like. I have found that by using the TimeShift function, it does increase chances by a significant factor that you have got the shot you want.

I like the video quality. Very good. And...I am not sure I have seen this before, but you can edit videos. As in the same type of edits you can do with photos (enhancements, saturation, brightness, etc.....). Excellent!
    austriker likes this.
    10-05-14 09:06 PM
    I find PP to be the winner. The fact it wins on low-light conditions is a win for me. I'm also not sure how the saturation is off.... though I will agree on the auto focus. Sometimes I have to tap my focus point twice because it's not focusing well.

Passport (TMobile USA)
    10-06-14 01:14 AM
    I like how the PP handles the stainless steel picture at the end. iPhone is very yellow. Also the highlight is better on the PP image.

Here's some a comparison between the 2 cameras. In this case is the Iphone 6 plus. The video stabilization on the passport is even better than on the Iphone 6+, and the Iphone 6+ is know to have the smoothest stabilization during video

Video stabilization is amazing, but I noticed the focus readjust when he got to the subject, iphone was already focused.
    Last edited by power5; 11-02-14 at 09:07 AM.
    11-02-14 08:40 AM
    I really like the low light images on the Blackberry Passport. Especially the house picture with the bricks.
    The brick colours are crisp, clear and show the real colour of the bricks. The first picture is so yellowish and doesn't
    show the true colours. Each have their pro and cons. 13mp is way better then 8mb, Apple needs to improve on the MP.
    8mp is old technology and camera specs are not up to par.
    11-02-14 09:28 AM
    See how crisp the video was on the Blackberry Passport. Thats 13 MP for you!
    11-02-14 09:44 AM
    The iphone6 when I had it had an easier time to get the shot done the first time but when you do get the shot with the passport the passport will win 8/10 shots easy. BlackBerry Has some work to do on the camera but it still beats the iphone6. Thanks OP good job.

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    11-02-14 10:44 AM
    I really like the low light images on the Blackberry Passport. Especially the house picture with the bricks.
    The brick colours are crisp, clear and show the real colour of the bricks. The first picture is so yellowish and doesn't
    show the true colours. Each have their pro and cons. 13mp is way better then 8mb, Apple needs to improve on the MP.
    8mp is old technology and camera specs are not up to par.
    See how crisp the video was on the Blackberry Passport. Thats 13 MP for you!
    mp really dont mean squat. Its the same as saying an old pentium 4 at 3ghz is better than 2.0 ghz core i5 because its more ghz
    11-02-14 10:57 AM
    mp really dont mean squat. Its the same as saying an old pentium 4 at 3ghz is better than 2.0 ghz core i5 because its more ghz
    Stand corrected, but doesn't the transfer of 8mp to a printer, print less sharp then a 13mp to the printer? I'm not much of a camera person, I only judge by appearance.
    11-02-14 12:41 PM
    True, however a 2.0gHz i5 beats a 1.6gHz i5. Pixels are yet another discriminator, to be used in conjunction with other factors. I used to have a Nokia 808. It had 41MP, and yes it was significantly better than, well pretty much everything (even now). It had a monster sensor and could use those extra pixels. To say that MP don't matter is just as wrong as saying MP are always better.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 01:57 PM
    Here is info from wisegeek.com

A megapixel refers to one million pixels, and is commonly used in reference to digital cameras as an indication of resolution capability. A pixel is a tiny square on a computerized display that is so small it appears as a dot. The display screen is a solid grid of these squares or dots, which can be easily seen with a magnifying glass. The more pixels or dots that make up the display screen, the clearer the resolution or image will be. Greater numbers of dots or pixels allow for more refinement of the image, which results in higher, truer image replication.

When it comes to digital cameras, the picture quality capability is measured in megapixels. For example, a 3.1 megapixel camera can take pictures with a resolution of 2048 x 1536, which equals 3,145,728 pixels. That is, the resulting image will be made up of 3.1 megapixels, or over three million dots. Printers measure quality in DPI (dots per inch). A printer capable of only 300 DPI will not print the 3.1 megapixel image in its native high quality. It's simply not capable of reproducing the fine detail. Instead the image may appear grainy. If you wish to print photos, be sure the printer is well suited to the capabilities of your digital camera.
    11-02-14 02:17 PM
    The point is that MP dont automatically better. Sure they matter but if you have a 20 MP camera with crappy optics then you just get a bigger picture that still looks crappy. Its a complete package that needs to be all around good. I am sure both phones have good all around packages. I think the edge belongs to apple in hardware and software but the passport does support more MPs and very good hardware package as well
    thymaster likes this.
    11-02-14 02:27 PM
    Taken from my Passport last night

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 02:45 PM
123 12345