Ok, I have normally dismissed the digital zoom on cameras as a gimmick. The PP is meant to have an enhanced zoom which uses sub pixel differences to enhance the shot. I normally don't see any difference. A good smoothing algorithm in photoshop does the trick.

With the new camera, I decided to have a look at it again. Guess what, it actually seems to work! I took a photo first without zoom, then zoomed in. Both exactly the same shot, same conditions. I cropped the same segment for comparison, and was amazed at the difference. Now i'm not really fussed with the noise/straight lines, what impresses me is the extra detail. The painting is of an Elizabethan house, you know the ones with the visible black frame on a white wall. In the original, there isn't a hint of frame. No interpolation will get it back. On the digitally zoomed shot, you see the frame. You are actually getting BETTER detail. Wow!

Here is the zoomed and cropped version. Same lighting, same shot. The painting was about 10 metres away.

Camera digital zoom-img_20150308_132922_edit.jpg

Here is the cropped original (no zoom)

Attachment 339630

To see the difference, look at the pics on a PC or download them and go full screen
    Last edited by vader42; 03-07-15 at 10:52 PM.
    03-07-15 10:42 PM
    Hmm, tried to download the second image. Doesnt work. Oh well, when you zoom in, you loose the frame. I will try to do it again and use a PC to make a better example. Anyone else tried the zoom?

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 10:56 PM
    OK, I'll try again with better photos. Here is a musical score. I scaled the original with the best (Sinc) scaling available so that they were about the same size. You can't see the score lines in the original, but you can in the zoomed version.

Unzoomed
    Camera digital zoom-unzoomed.jpg

And the zoomed version
    Camera digital zoom-zoomed.jpg

See the difference?
    03-07-15 11:25 PM
    I am a keen amateaur photograpther. I am interested to know more about your findings. However, I actually cannot see the difference(?)

What should I notice?
    03-08-15 03:28 AM
    In the first photo, look at the music score lines. You can't see them. In the second, you can see each individual line. Also the notes are fuzzy in the first and sharper in the second.

So rather than just digitally zooming in, there is extra information. To do this you take several photos and look for minute differences. It seems that BlackBerry are doing just this. It is not as good as a physical zoom, but it will get more detail than just zooming in on the photo with photoshop.

Posted via CB10
    guinnsquirrel likes this.
    03-08-15 05:27 AM
    In the first photo, look at the music score lines. You can't see them. In the second, you can see each individual line. Also the notes are fuzzy in the first and sharper in the second.

So rather than just digitally zooming in, there is extra information. To do this you take several photos and look for minute differences. It seems that BlackBerry are doing just this. It is not as good as a physical zoom, but it will get more detail than just zooming in on the photo with photoshop.

Posted via CB10
    Do you think this improvements could be due to improved (or rather less) compression BlackBerry has chosen? I've seen this type of improvements on my Z10 when compared stock camera, which uses who knows what compression rate and Camera++ app that uses the max quality settings. The file size from stock camera was almost twice smaller than from Camera++ though I would really be happy if BlackBerry start using some advanced IP algorithms to improve image quality of pictures, especially the ones coming from front camera (not that I'm a selfie addict)...
    03-08-15 11:47 AM
    Maybe not compression, but zooming before compression. Compressing using jpg is lossy (you lose information). Maybe that's all it is. In the end, whatever they are doing is saving more information, so I am happy. I would love it if they had some uber algorithm doing some magic

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 09:44 PM