Hi all,

So I have a Passport SE that I have had since last fall and I consider myself a power user. Multiple email accounts, a strong amount of web browsing and lots of short and longer term calls through the day.

When I compare the battery life of my BlackBerry devices to a friend's on a different network I have always noticed I get lesser battery life in Q10, Classic and Passport. I choke it up to the network for me which is Freedom.

In any event I am getting only about 12-14 hours a day on my battery consistently. Previously I was able to get a lot more, maybe 24 hours etc

I did a little test last night and charged the phone fully, put it into sleep mode and it seemed to be dropping 2% an hour without any messages.

I know there are things I can do to improve the battery life with the screen brightness, messages and other things but I am more worried if this is something specific with my phone. When I use the app manager it doesn't show the battery being drawn from anything specific. It's always "system" that is the number one power user.

My phone was brand new in November of 2016. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    06-09-17 04:47 PM
    Did you do any OS update at all, lately? Presumably to the latest version? That could be the culprit, since I'm experiencing similar problem. The battery of my SE depletes on its own, even when being shut down and put in the box. I'm using the Classic because of this (and because I feel the typing experience is better on the Classic, mostly due to the trackpad and toolbelt).
    06-09-17 07:14 PM
    Did you do any OS update at all, lately? Presumably to the latest version? That could be the culprit, since I'm experiencing similar problem. The battery of my SE depletes on its own, even when being shut down and put in the box. I'm using the Classic because of this (and because I feel the typing experience is better on the Classic, mostly due to the trackpad and toolbelt).

I am on the latest OS which is 10.3.3.1435. It's a shopblackberry.com model

Posted via CB10
    06-09-17 07:52 PM
    12-14 hours for a power user is pretty good. I'm on a Q10, and thanks to the removable battery -- I have 4 batteries -- I can hammer my smartphone all day long without any thought to battery life.
    06-09-17 08:13 PM
    Yeah, you're going to lose at least 25% more battery life by being on Freedom/Wind.

Keep in mind as the device ages, the battery also loses capacity. Not to mention heat (which since the Freedom network is so slow, causes a lot of overhearing as the device struggles to load data, and keeps resuming results) also damages your long term battery life.

Overall, your battery performance seems about right. Not much can be done.
    06-09-17 08:37 PM
    Yeah, you're going to lose at least 25% more battery life by being on Freedom/Wind.

Keep in mind as the device ages, the battery also loses capacity. Not to mention heat (which since the Freedom network is so slow, causes a lot of overhearing as the device struggles to load data, and keeps resuming results) also damages your long term battery life.

Overall, your battery performance seems about right. Not much can be done.

This loss of about 20% or so in battery almost mimics my experience. Is there any particular reason for this compared to another carrier such as Telus or Rogers? In Calgary where I live, I don't have really any connection issues or anything and my signal strength is strong. Data speeds are decent but I spend a lot of time on WiFi. I am just trying to figure out what the reason behind the battery life would be?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    06-09-17 08:45 PM
    It's just the network bands they use. It has poor signal penetration, and is a very short wave, so they need a lot more antennas.

As a result, your phone has to work harder to keep signal.

It's not completely their fault, the "prime" spectrum had already been used up.
    06-09-17 10:56 PM
    Thanks. For my SE am getting the usual long battery life no problem at all at the moment. But noticed a slight fall when my carrier (Safari com -Kenya) introduced 4G+ speeds on the net and since the passport is one of the few phones that support the speeds.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-17 01:47 AM
    I need to charge mine 2-3 times a day.
    I probably use way too many android apps to justify keeping this phone, and oh boy do they eat battery.
    06-10-17 05:01 AM
    Yes, I use as less Android Apps as possible. They drain the battery. Better use the web-apps. And don't charge the battery more than 90%. Always keep the battery between 40-90%.
    06-10-17 06:04 AM