I found a great deal for a used passport online but I'm a bit worried about it possibly being stolen because the price is so low.

The seller is "selling it for a friend" and doesn't know anything about the device but has allowed me to go test it out tonight.

How can I easily verify that the device is not locked to someone's bbid?

Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 09:19 AM
    Well there IS no 100% fool proof protection in a private transaction. You want to make sure of 2 things that the device is not carrier financed, or is as you said not locked to a BBID. You best bet is to go thru the old owner's and the BBs original carrier and have the ESN or IMEI number checked out as well as making sure it's not carrier financed, AND if you make a deal and you like that carrier activate with them. Also make sure that the Protect my phone is OFF and THEN wipe if if the person has not already done so.
    12-18-15 09:28 AM
    I'm not worried about it being carrier locked or anything because that's very rare in Belgium.

The only thing that might be a problem is that it might be still locked to the old owner's bbid. But if BlackBerry Protect is toggled off it's not locked and ready for me to log in with my bbid?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 10:38 AM
    Just boot it up and go to BlackBerry id. If it isn't set up yet you should be good to go. Otherwise I don't think it would complete setup..
    Jmo

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 10:47 AM
    I buy phones from Kijiji all the time. I typically boot the phone and set it up with my Sim card and check bbid t ensure everything is OK. Never had a problem.
    12-18-15 11:20 AM
    Main concern should be to make sure the id is not locked in. A full wipe before purchasing removes that
    12-19-15 04:16 AM
    Main concern should be to make sure the id is not locked in. A full wipe before purchasing removes that
    A wipe will NOT clear out BB ID on a device.
    The information for that device is located on a separate server. So doing a wipe only momentarily clears it from the phone. But as soon as the phone is back up and running after the wipe, all the information from the previous BB ID will still remain on the device.

The only way to ensure its clean phone is to go onto the device and enter your own BB ID.
    If that works without issue, than you'll be good to purchase.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 06:45 AM
    A wipe will NOT clear out BB ID on a device.
    The information for that device is located on a separate server. So doing a wipe only momentarily clears it from the phone. But as soon as the phone is back up and running after the wipe, all the information from the previous BB ID will still remain on the device.

The only way to ensure its clean phone is to go onto the device and enter your own BB ID.
    If that works without issue, than you'll be good to purchase.

Posted via CB10
    A wipe will indeed remove it. You have to input the current BlackBerry ID password to initiate it. If it doesn't ask you to input the password and tells you to type "blackberry" than you are good to go. If you wipe it through other methods like do an OS reload it won't boot back up beyond the setup unless you enter the current BBID. The current BBID can only be removed by doing a security wipe by inputing the current BBID.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 07:03 AM
    The current BBID can only be removed by doing a security wipe by inputing the current BBID.

Posted via CB10
    That was part of the OP concern. So I will state again.

A wipe will not remove the previous BBID.......if the device is stolen or you do not have the previous BBID.
    12-19-15 07:03 PM
    I suggested it if he had the phone in hand when the previous owner is there. If he does a wipe get the owner to input the password and it will be reset and not locked to that particular ID when the wipe is done....

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 07:09 PM