Hi. After a few weeks of flawless performance, great battery life and an over all fantastic switch from apple land - my passport have started to act strange. I have two android apps installed, audible and a ticket ap for the norwegian transport system. None of these makes my pp funny, though.

It is the browser. Last week it just started to make the right side, and especially the upper right corner, really hot.

Now I'm thinking maybe I need to upgrade the OS? I'm on 1556. Thing is, I am confused on how to do this. I don't want to do it destructively.

I know there is a ton of information on autoloaders and other things that frankly speaking makes an old walled garden of fruit phone-guy nervous.

Is there just a link that someone could point out: this is what you need. Thank you so much in advance, and thank you for beeing a very welcoming forum.

 Passport
    04-02-15 02:05 AM
    Have you gone to settings to check if there is an over the air update first?
    04-02-15 04:00 AM
    Yes.

 Passport
    04-02-15 04:17 AM
    First of all, sometimes the right top corner of the phone does get hot regardless of your OS version. That means something is running hot and draining the battery fast. You may find out which app is doing this by checking the CPU usage in device monitor. I am not exactly sure why it's always the right top corner but most likely it's because that's where the CPU/GPU/modem chipsets located on the motherboard.

This may be seen as a design flaw of Passport but it doesn't really bother me. It doesn't happen all the time and if you can find the app tends to do that, you can find an alternative app to significantly reduce the chance of this happening. For me it's the clash of clan Android app, which I just keep using it until I close it, which will cool the phone down quickly.

But, it's a good idea to learn how to load new OS undestructively. This is the latest leak with a simple guide to do that: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1009783

Please back up you phone with Link before trying it.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    andy957 likes this.
    04-02-15 07:30 AM
    Thank you so much for your input, and the link. I want to point out though, that I am talking about the stock browser - not a third party app. When I tried the Browsie browser it got even hotter. Seems weird that surfing the internet causes the phone to mimic a small heater?

 Passport
    04-02-15 08:33 AM
    Hey, it's normal for the upper right hand corner to get hot. The cpu is located there. Whenever the screen is on for long enough, if you're watching a movie or just surfing the Web for a long period, it will get hot.
    What I found is that lowering the brightness lowers the battery drain and heat ouput as well.
    Fact of the matter is the snapdragon cpu runs hot when in use, and that can be observed if you use another phone that uses the same cpu.
    It's nothing to worry about, though, unless you think something else is wrong, such as getting hot on idle.

Post a picture of your battery usage in the device monitor btw.
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    04-02-15 08:41 AM
    Mine too. I have to stop playing after a while.
    04-03-15 03:46 PM
    Which website do you guys go to make this problem happen? Because I have never seen browser causing overheating problems, even when I watch YouTube videos.

04-03-15 05:23 PM
    Just regular browsing. News and such. A video from time to time. This cant be normal.

 Passport
    04-04-15 04:06 AM
    Do you have battery saver mode on? Doing so should limit CPU performance and reduce the issue.

 = ♥
    04-04-15 05:36 AM
    Just regular browsing. News and such. A video from time to time. This cant be normal.

 Passport
    It doesn't sound suspicious to me. Mine only gets warm when I am playing Clash of Clans. Were you charging at the time?

04-04-15 09:02 AM
    No, and it does this all the time. The right side gets very hot. Just using the browser. I wont use Power save on a device three weeks old. It was designer to be used, right?

 Passport
    04-05-15 02:26 PM
    I switched to FireFox browser on my Passport, no issue with device getting hot again
    04-05-15 02:32 PM
    wow, that's strange, mine doesn't heat up at all on browser

only games heat it up.

try firefox as soft-touch recommended
    04-05-15 09:04 PM
    Ok, so I might have found out why this is happening. I've been at my cabin for the last week, and I don't have 4G or LTE most of the time causing me to use edge or H(?) for some browsing. It is when I use these that the unit gets hot. I think. Make sense?

 Passport
    04-07-15 02:55 AM
    As mad_mdx said above, Web browsing, especially on sites with lots of Javascript is a CPU intensive task on EVERY current computing platform today.

This fact has only just come into the spotlight because mobile devices are finally exceeding desktops in Web browsing. If you look at reviews of laptops and smartphones, you will observe that Web browsing, particularly on cellular networks, is second only to 3D gaming in battery drain testing.

With high processing and screen time comes heat. This is a fact that most smartphone manufacturers are now mitigating by throttling down their CPUs once a certain "skin temperature" is reached.

It is unclear how this problem will be solved because people want more powerful devices but the trend towards devices that are thin, light, inexpensive, have large high-res screens, large batteries, etc conflict with the physical space, time and materials needed to dissipate heat.
    04-07-15 03:28 AM