Hey guys,

Well I've had the Passport for about 10 days now and am honestly considering returning it. It's my first Blackberry device, coming off of an Android most recently, but I've also had an iPhone way back. Its my first physical keyboard phone in a long, long time.

Let me say that I don't really use my phone for that much, but for what I do use it for I use it a lot. The main things I do on my phone besides the obvious texting and calling are Email, Internet Browsing, Navigation, and Sports - emphasis on the browsing and email.
    The BB browser has been downright atrocious in my experience. It freezes up relatively often, doesn't load pages correctly or at all occasionally, doesn't respond to keys at times, and is just very clunky overall. When it works, its good, it just doesn't work well that often.

I really like the quality hardware of the device and like the physical keyboard, but I can type plenty fast on a touch screen. With phones like the Note 4 and Nexus 6 out there with huge, quad HD screens that mitigate or even cancel out the PP's feature in being wide, I'm second-guessing my decision to go with the BB. One thing I will say is that I'm on version 0.738 - I've been checking for updates constantly and am not getting one pushed (AT&T). Anyone have experience with this improving browser performance?
    Not sure what the email problem is but that is BB's bread and butter. My BlackBerry devices are workhorses when it comes to emails. Could you elaborate?

I personally never had slugish native BlackBerry browser even with multiple tabs open.

Try to load the 0.1418 version. You can get it here at CB. Since you have an unlocked device AT&T will not push your updates. It will either come from BlackBerry directly or you install the latest from CB..

Using Blackberry Passport via AT&T
    10-31-14 12:42 AM
    BB10 browser on much older OS's, has proven to be faster than any browser in the competition, so it can only be better this time. Either OP has a problem in the device, or something messy is going on
    I still think that was a gross misinterpretation of a flawed test. And then it became folklore on BB fan sites. BB fans read things into that study that weren't true. I don't even think it was BB10 that was tested. The BB7 user agent was a match to the original study, and BIS would have screwed up the measurement.

I love my Passport, but there is no way the browser is as smooth or fast or consistent as safari on iPhone 6. I can use them side by side on wifi or LTE and for some sites some of the time they will be comparable, but for most sites most of the time they really aren't close.

The email experience on Passport is fantastic IMO. The browser experience, though, is OK, not great compared to other current choices.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    10-31-14 01:38 AM
    I still think that was a gross misinterpretation of a flawed test. And then it became folklore on BB fan sites. BB fans read things into that study that weren't true. I don't even think it was BB10 that was tested. The BB7 user agent was a match to the original study, and BIS would have screwed up the measurement.

I love my Passport, but there is no way the browser is as smooth or fast or consistent as safari on iPhone 6. I can use them side by side on wifi or LTE and for some sites some of the time they will be comparable, but for most sites most of the time they really aren't close.

The email experience on Passport is fantastic IMO. The browser experience, though, is OK, not great compared to other current choices.

Wrong, do some research. Although BB10 isn't really ahead of the competition in most of the features, but BB10 browser has proven to be well ahead by independent reviews in HTML5, BB10 is a lot faster than the competition on HTML5, and websites now "work" heavly on HTML5

Look at this chart. BB10 browser is competing with DESKTOP browsers, mobile browsers don't even get close
    https://html5test.com/results/mobile.html

another one
    http://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry-...sktop-browser/
    11-01-14 11:06 AM
    When pages load, they load just fine. I've narrowed it down to links from twitter/outside apps. A lot of the time I will click a link, and the browser will open, but never actually load the page.

If I do not set it on desktop mode my experience improves in some areas but then all of the pages have huge text and its no longer utilizing the screen as much.

Email has been great on it, its the browser that still seems lackluster to me. However, I didn't know that it could save my tabs and that is a great plus. Also, since the OTA update I can see how well this device can perform overall and its pretty nice - well worth the slight bugs IMO.

I have 19 more days to decide if I'll keep it or go with the Nexus 6. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the BB.
    11-01-14 11:50 AM
    Wrong, do some research. Although BB10 isn't really ahead of the competition in most of the features, but BB10 browser has proven to be well ahead by independent reviews in HTML5, BB10 is a lot faster than the competition on HTML5, and websites now "work" heavly on HTML5

Look at this chart. BB10 browser is competing with DESKTOP browsers, mobile browsers don't even get close
    https://html5test.com/results/mobile.html

another one
    http://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry-...sktop-browser/
    Those are not speed tests. Those are standards compliance tests.

They don't measure speed. The "fastest browser" claim is a BB fan misinterpretation of a different report, not either of the ones you posted. I use all 3 every day, it is absurd to say that the Passport has a faster browser. Totally absurd in actual use.

And standards body compliance itself is a silly mark in the real world, since Chrome and Safari are the actual real world standard in mobile devices. If you were making a mobile website today, you would be an absolute fool to use any HTML5 features which aren't supported by the 99% of the market who are using Safari, Chrome, and the old Android browser.

Nobody does that. Would you make a mobile site that doesn't render correctly on Chrome and Safari? Would you make any HTML5 site today without testing on those two browsers?

Last edited by app_Developer; 11-01-14 at 12:54 PM.
    11-01-14 12:41 PM
    I could agree with the opinion that the browser app usage experience is better on other platforms (switching between tabs and all) but I am not buying the bb10 browser is slower or that it lags argument. I have compared the browser on my Z10 with the Note3, SG4, Nexus 4, and iPhone 5, and it sometimes equals them while most of the other times it trumps them when it comes to browsing speeds.

I'd have called BS on this thread if I didn't know any better on how certain things can be messed up with certain os versions; but, believing that you might actually be facing the issue, try reloading/secwipe/new os maybe?

+ I intend to get the Note4, but not because pp has a slow browser - it doesn't, or because the Note 4 has a better screen - it doesn't (taller? Yes, but definitely not better). Not the features to trump pp, imo, if only one out of the two had to be selected.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    11-01-14 01:37 PM
    Blackberry browser is not good in java script.
    While I like the browser a lot BlackBerry does not seem to do the best on Java script performance.
    11-07-14 01:04 AM
    I could agree with the opinion that the browser app usage experience is better on other platforms (switching between tabs and all) but I am not buying the bb10 browser is slower or that it lags argument. I have compared the browser on my Z10 with the Note3, SG4, Nexus 4, and iPhone 5, and it sometimes equals them while most of the other times it trumps them when it comes to browsing speeds.

+ I intend to get the Note4, but not because pp has a slow browser - it doesn't, or because the Note 4 has a better screen - it doesn't (taller? Yes, but definitely not better). Not the features to trump pp, imo, if only one out of the two had to be selected.

Posted via CB10
    The difference here is that Android, in particular, has tons of third-party browsers that are way better than its stock browser - take Opera mini for example, there's nothing quicker than that for fast tabbing and loading up pages. And options like that don't run well on the Passport (pretty much all third party Android Browsers have horrible trackpad functionality on the Passport, for example).
    11-07-14 01:10 AM

Speed wise it's definitely not the fastest. However, I find that it's the most consistent of all. I haven't tried iOS 8 yet, but whether I was using Safari, Chrome, Firefox, or even Opera, every one of them had notable issues rendering certain pages. BlackBerry 10 browser so far for me hasn't had a hiccup.

The desktop mode is also night and day, especially on the Passport vs. any other device.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 01:19 AM
    Odd. The BlackBerry 10 browser is top notch. What sites are you having issues with so some other folks here can try it out?
    Top notch.. unless you haven't touch anything else lately.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 01:29 AM
    Well guys a possible update to this...

I preordered a Nexus 6. No, I'm not giving up on the PP, I very well may end up keeping it. But since I still have time before my 30 days are up, I will hopefully (depending on when I receive the N6) have time to compare them both in-hand, and return whichever I don't choose.

I do think that the BB browser is nothing to scoff at. When pages are able to load, they load quickly and effortlessly. I've still been having problems with links from outside apps not loading, as well as certain webpages. What its really going to come down to are two things: build quality and screen real estate / keyboard. I like BB10, I think its a great and completely viable OS, especially for someone like me that doesn't use very many apps.

So I would say that OS is a wash - I would be happy with either. Now, I really, REALLY like the build quality of the PP. Best build quality of any phone I've owned since my iPhone 4. Tough to compare it directly to that since it was so long ago, but my main point is the build quality of the PP is great! Mine doesn't have any defects either, aside from some very slight vertical bleeding. The physical keyboard is also really nice, and since this is my first BB it has taken some getting used to; but I've become acclimated fairly quickly. From what I've watched/read/seen, the N6 actually has pretty nice build quality too. When I receive the device I'll be able to make my comparison, obviously.

Screen real estate is the other deciding factor. While the BB has a wide screen, its actually I don't believe any wider than the N6's (and if it is, its by a very small amount). So that feature is equalized. However, the N6 has a much, much larger screen overall and will obviously be better for watching videos - something I do on occasion, but not that often. N6's resolution is also better, but to be honest I don't think it will look any denser than the PP's - just different in terms of size and OS.

So that's my reasoning thus far - I really like the PP a lot and of course it would be nice to be able to have both; I can't justify that financially, though. I'll do a full comparison once my N6 arrives, hopefully I'll have solid few days to do so before my time is up to return the PP.

One quick question; do I have 30 days from the ship date, or when I received it? And how is ShopBB when it comes to these money back guarantee returns? Thanks for reading!
    11-07-14 01:59 AM
    Top notch.. unless you haven't touch anything else lately.

Posted via CB10
    I have an LG G2. With Chrome. I like the Blackberry browser better.
    11-07-14 06:24 PM
    Forgive me if this was discussed earlier in the thread, but one annoyance I have with the BlackBerry browser is it will not auto detect a street address in a website where you can click on it and it will open up your Mac app. Most other platforms have had this feature for a long time so not sure why BlackBerry doesn't have it working yet. Not sure if phone #'s are "dialable" as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 06:36 PM
63 123