Hey guys,

Well I've had the Passport for about 10 days now and am honestly considering returning it. It's my first Blackberry device, coming off of an Android most recently, but I've also had an iPhone way back. Its my first physical keyboard phone in a long, long time.

Let me say that I don't really use my phone for that much, but for what I do use it for I use it a lot. The main things I do on my phone besides the obvious texting and calling are Email, Internet Browsing, Navigation, and Sports - emphasis on the browsing and email.
    The BB browser has been downright atrocious in my experience. It freezes up relatively often, doesn't load pages correctly or at all occasionally, doesn't respond to keys at times, and is just very clunky overall. When it works, its good, it just doesn't work well that often.

I really like the quality hardware of the device and like the physical keyboard, but I can type plenty fast on a touch screen. With phones like the Note 4 and Nexus 6 out there with huge, quad HD screens that mitigate or even cancel out the PP's feature in being wide, I'm second-guessing my decision to go with the BB. One thing I will say is that I'm on version 0.738 - I've been checking for updates constantly and am not getting one pushed (AT&T). Anyone have experience with this improving browser performance?
    10-29-14 11:43 PM
    Sounds like you weren't the target market for this device......

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 11:46 PM
    No thanks. You use what you want depending on your needs.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    10-29-14 11:46 PM
    I'm not sure what Issues you may be having but the passport does email and Web browsing extremely well.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 11:51 PM
    Using common sense... it would appear the OP may have a defective unit.... rarely do you hear anyone complaining about the BB browsers running on BB10.....in general and have mostly positive on the Passport..... Seeing as there are key issues might point to hardware issues.... good luck on wherever the OP ends up... many really good phones out there right now...
    10-29-14 11:56 PM
    The typing fast will probably come the more you get used to the device. But you may just be more comfortable with touch screen typing, which is fine. For the browser I'm assuming you're talking about the scaling of Web pages not fitting the screen?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 12:11 AM
    Lol I love how nonchalant everyone is

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 12:25 AM
    Odd. The BlackBerry 10 browser is top notch. What sites are you having issues with so some other folks here can try it out?
    10-30-14 12:29 AM
    I might not be the target market but I think that the phone is certainly advertised to complete the tasks I do most, albeit partially indirectly. Its definitely not a hardware issue, as the browser is part of the software. I can type plenty fast with the physical keyboard and I really like that trademark blackberry click, its one of the main reasons I got the phone in the first place.

Hardware does matter to me and the PP has amazing build quality and just feels like a great device in hand. I'm just debating whether or not that is worth it over a bigger and better screen + a better browsing experience.

Its not any site in particular, and all the issues I mentioned are alleviated if I restart the app, but that ends up deleting all of my tabs and is relatively frustrating compared to how Chrome worked on my Samsung.
    10-30-14 12:35 AM
    Hi carrot what is you running?

Try do update or security wipe

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    10-30-14 12:39 AM
    Why should. We convince you to keep it? You have already made up your mind.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 12:43 AM
    Hey guys,

Well I've had the Passport for about 10 days now and am honestly considering returning it. It's my first Blackberry device, coming off of an Android most recently, but I've also had an iPhone way back. Its my first physical keyboard phone in a long, long time.

Let me say that I don't really use my phone for that much, but for what I do use it for I use it a lot. The main things I do on my phone besides the obvious texting and calling are Email, Internet Browsing, Navigation, and Sports - emphasis on the browsing and email.
    The BB browser has been downright atrocious in my experience. It freezes up relatively often, doesn't load pages correctly or at all occasionally, doesn't respond to keys at times, and is just very clunky overall. When it works, its good, it just doesn't work well that often.

I really like the quality hardware of the device and like the physical keyboard, but I can type plenty fast on a touch screen. With phones like the Note 4 and Nexus 6 out there with huge, quad HD screens that mitigate or even cancel out the PP's feature in being wide, I'm second-guessing my decision to go with the BB. One thing I will say is that I'm on version 0.738 - I've been checking for updates constantly and am not getting one pushed (AT&T). Anyone have experience with this improving browser performance?
    I've used a Note 4 and you definitely do NOT get the same useful width. Sure you can zoom out the hell out of your content to see more, but that's not the point. By that logic you can do the same on the Passport. For content consumption, beyond video and video games, Passport is better than a Note 4.

If you're that keen on using a different browser that is not BlackBerry native, why not just get one of the many options available through Snap or even 1Mobile.

Finally, if you like Chrome that much then just download it from Snap, install, use the zoom out feature by swiping down from the top, restart the app, and enjoy Chrome on your Passport.

Attachment 310605

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dejanh; 10-30-14 at 12:57 AM.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    10-30-14 12:46 AM
    I don't understand the logic in asking people you don't know to convince you to keep something you yourself bought.

It seems to be a recurring thing around here though.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 12:54 AM
    "Convince me to keep the passport"? What the hell do you think we are? Why are people even replying to the OP? Come on.
    SK122387 and Joao Oliveira like this.
    10-30-14 12:57 AM
    Weird the browser seems really good. Try a wipe like the other guy suggested or try google chrome. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 12:58 AM
    Seriously, what Web pages give you trouble? Browser is the last thing I would find a problem with on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 01:00 AM
    Well, I have 30 days to return it and since its quite an expensive product I am trying to make the most educated decision I can.

The issues I'm having with the browser combined with the features these new Android devices are offering may cause me to return it, but if I can gather input from the community as to how these concerns may be alleviated I may keep it. Definitely have not made up my mind yet. I may try chrome on it and see how it operates, that's something I will do right away. And its good to know that the note 4 isn't the same width exactly, but the Nexus 6 might be and that's the other one I have my eye on.

I suppose part of it, too, is that I can use others' input and then make my own decision with that in mind.

EDIT: I see that people are not liking my choice of title. I suppose I could have rephrased it: Browser issues + comparisons with Nexus 6 based on my usage.
    10-30-14 01:00 AM
    Something is obviously wrong OP. The BB 10 browsing experience is one of the best there is.

ZZwiped up on my Z10!
    10-30-14 01:02 AM

EDIT: I see that people are not liking my choice of title. I suppose I could have rephrased it: Browser issues + comparisons with Nexus 6 based on my usage.
    Edited the title for you

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    10-30-14 01:07 AM
    Okay, again you mention your major issues with the browser and how it might not compare to the newer Android offerings, which is fine. But as a curious person, I would like to know what issues you are having with the browser. We can try to help, if not, you can go away happy.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 01:11 AM
    Maybe you need to try compare your Passport to someone else's. I know it's hard since there's a shortage at the moment though.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 01:29 AM
    It does email well... I agree with him on the Browser - if you're a power-user regarding the internet, and constantly have tons of tabs open, cycling between them, etc, then the stock Browser is pretty bad. It lags/hangs, missed the first few button presses under heavy load, and has an AWFUL 'open new tab' functionality, which takes too long to load up on the right side of the screen and also comes up last - I've bookmarked so many pages by accident because 'open new tab' hasn't loaded quickly enough.

For simple browsing though, the stock Browser is great... take that for what it's worth, but Android phones like the Note series blow the Passport away for heavy (emphasis on heavy) web browsing.
    10-30-14 01:32 AM
    I totally agree with you. The browsing experience is not wonderful on a passport. The favorites are a total mess. There is no way to arrange them by categorie, like others phones. I mean come on if you have 50 websites in your favorites, it is total mess. And when lots of tabs open is not as fluid as android, wp or ios. It is kind of choppy.
    I am kind of disappointed also!! Go to the full website of androidcentral or windowscentral, it is definitely choppy and not rendering well pages. Same as the full version of the verge. On my other windows phone devices and nexus 5 it is fluid. Blackberry browser is not good in java script.

Otherwise I like the phone really much but it can be improve with the Web browsing experience.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 01:42 AM
    It does email well... I agree with him on the Browser - if you're a power-user regarding the internet, and constantly have tons of tabs open, cycling between them, etc, then the stock Browser is pretty bad. It lags/hangs, missed the first few button presses under heavy load, and has an AWFUL 'open new tab' functionality, which takes too long to load up on the right side of the screen and also comes up last - I've bookmarked so many pages by accident because 'open new tab' hasn't loaded quickly enough.

For simple browsing though, the stock Browser is great... take that for what it's worth, but Android phones like the Note series blow the Passport away for heavy (emphasis on heavy) web browsing.
    This is basically what I've been experiencing. Lots of key presses won't register at times, the browser freezes up every now and then, and pages won't load on occasion. Again, all of these issues are fixed if I restart the app, but my tabs are erased in that case and it is not very pleasant.

I'll try chrome though maybe that will do the trick.
    10-30-14 01:48 AM
    The native passport browsers works great for me. Most of the videos that didn't play on my last Nexus phone browser played well on my passport. Have you tried other third party browsers for the passport?

It's unfortunate to see you go but this phone isn't going to be liked by everyone. For me, I'm very satisfied with my purchase.
    10-30-14 01:48 AM
63 123