I just realized that one of the things that has hindered BB10 adoption has been that the z10 looks too much like an iPhone to the casual observer. The q10 looks like an old blackberry that so many people don't care about anymore.

The Passport at a single glance looks like the very thing it is: a new generation of BlackBerry.

It simultaneously screams BlackBerry and "this isn't your old Curve from 2007".

I am still not sure what my next phone will be and I don't know if it will be a successful product but I love the thinking that went into the design.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 09:54 PM
    I agree, when things get stale sometimes you have to think outside of the box.
    nico2004 likes this.
    09-12-14 10:12 PM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry Passport is the most innovative high end smartphone of 2014.... distinctive. ... full of awesomeness!! lol

The ultimate professional phone...

... from my z30

Posted via CB10
    Alvin Loh and nico2004 like this.
    09-13-14 01:50 AM
    sure thing dude!

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 02:01 AM
    I agree with you OP.. very unique and sleek.

The one thing that is bothering me is the release in the US.. as always, it will be delayed.

Also, as always, BlackBerry software updates are scattered based on location/carrier/etc.

This is not just simply ridiculous but catastrophic for the future of the company. It shows that carriers don't want to sell it, and dot back it. Obviously this leads to the everyday consumer not too buy.

They need to take a few pages out of apples book. Phone releases one week after the keynote in just about every country on every carrier simultaneously. Software updates are always pushed the same

This is imperative on the psychological side of BlackBerry's future sales.

KISS - keep it simple stupid - quick release, universal launch, universal updates. Period

http://www.stayontop-lifestyle.com/
    btj, austriker and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    09-13-14 02:01 AM
    Strange. I didn't realise that BlackBerrys could scream... and in reality, not many people outside the BlackBerry fanclub is even going to notice the BlackBerry Passport. Might as well advertise on the moon for all it matters

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 03:00 AM
    Strange. I didn't realise that BlackBerrys could scream... and in reality, not many people outside the BlackBerry fanclub is even going to notice the BlackBerry Passport. Might as well advertise on the moon for all it matters

Posted via CB10
    I respectfully disagree.

People will notice the Passport. The unusual size and proportions will attract attention. Not all the attention will be positive; that distinctive design is proving to be polarizing, but it WILL be noticed.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Supa_Fly1, sk8er_tor, lift and 4 others like this.
    09-13-14 03:07 AM
    The q10 looks like an old blackberry that so many people don't care about anymore.
    Somewhat on the same topic....

I share the same sentiments about the Classic. People will know it's a BlackBerry, but will they know that it's a NEW and IMPROVED BlackBerry just with a classic look?

I know many are for the Classic, but I'm just not sure if it's the right strategy for trying to build a new brand perception. However, I'm not in charge here.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by walt63; 09-13-14 at 03:52 AM.
    austriker and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    09-13-14 03:18 AM
    I respectfully disagree.

People will notice the Passport. The unusual size and proportions will attract attention. Not all the attention will be positive; that distinctive design is proving to be polarizing, but it WILL be noticed.

Having a negative opinion on a manufacturer's flagship is even worse than no attention. But yeah, I'm certain once people see it's a BlackBerry, that's as far as most people will get

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-13-14 03:47 AM
    Having a negative opinion on a manufacturer's flagship is even worse than no attention. But yeah, I'm certain once people see it's a BlackBerry, that's as far as most people will get

Posted via CB10
    I didn't say I expected universal disapproval.

The Passport is polarizing because people have developed a very specific image in their heads when they hear the word "smartphone", and the Passport's design gleefully disregards that.

The thing is, there are some solid, functional reasons why the Passport looks the way it does and some people will get it.

I'll report back after I get mine.

09-13-14 11:50 AM
    Maybe its just me but I feel like the design would been a bit more mass market if they had made the screen marginally smaller say 4.2 inches or so. As it stands now the phone is kind of at the upper limit of usability in terms of width and maybe it stands out a bit too much.
    09-13-14 01:37 PM
    Saw the passport in the wild 30 seconds ago, I was 3 feet away from it. It looks amazing I was to chicken to ask the individual to hold it. I overheard him saying he was a BlackBerry employee and he was explaining the touch sensitive keyboard to a friend. The size didn't look awkward in his hand.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 02:12 PM
    Saw the passport in the wild 30 seconds ago, I was 3 feet away from it. It looks amazing I was to chicken to ask the individual to hold it. I overheard him saying he was a BlackBerry employee and he was explaining the touch sensitive keyboard to a friend. The size didn't look awkward in his hand.

Posted via CB10
    So I'm curious... was the friend expressing any kind of impression?

09-13-14 02:48 PM
    Totally curious. It will be interesting to see if it attracts the same attention to people using phones from other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 02:52 PM
    Totally curious. It will be interesting to see if it attracts the same attention to people using phones from other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    My experience in showing pictures of the phone tend toward curiosity more than anything else.

09-13-14 05:53 PM
    I respectfully disagree.

...I am glad you respectfully disagree since its obvious that person dont respect that this is CB...but whatever...keep it classy
    09-13-14 06:07 PM
    ...I am glad you respectfully disagree since its obvious that person dont respect that this is CB...but whatever...keep it classy
    Lol... I try ;-)

09-13-14 06:15 PM
    And for those who feel the 4.5" screen is too large, quickly fill-out the product family with 4.0" and 3.5" Passports! Just shrink it. Have a purse or big pockets, get the Passport 4.5. Have smaller pockets, get the Passport 4 for tweeners or Passport 3.5 for Q10 users who want a tad larger screen.
    Tompire likes this.
    09-13-14 08:03 PM
    And for those who feel the 4.5" screen is too large, quickly fill-out the product family with 4.0" and 3.5" Passports! Just shrink it. Have a purse or big pockets, get the Passport 4.5. Have smaller pockets, get the Passport 4 for tweeners or Passport 3.5 for Q10 users who want a tad larger screen.
    You forgot to to mention, "have deep pockets? Buy all three"

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 09:28 PM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The Passport will be perfect for those wanting an awesome reading experience... no more squinting to see fine print!! ...

.. and the productivity of an innovative and large keyboard.

"Those who like it.. will like it a lot!!"

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    09-13-14 09:46 PM
    The Passport will be perfect for those wanting an awesome reading experience... no more squinting to see fine print!! ...

.. and the productivity of an innovative and large keyboard.

"Those who like it.. will like it a lot!!"

Posted via CB10
    I love my Q10, but would appreciate a larger screen for my old eyes. Conversely, Teens and 20's both write and read in micro-fonts, no more nice large cursive or printing. People >45 should appreciate the Passport screen, and keyboard. Young ones perhaps to be different.
    Ecm and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-13-14 11:28 PM
    I agree with you OP.. very unique and sleek.

The one thing that is bothering me is the release in the US.. as always, it will be delayed.

Also, as always, BlackBerry software updates are scattered based on location/carrier/etc.

This is not just simply ridiculous but catastrophic for the future of the company. It shows that carriers don't want to sell it, and dot back it. Obviously this leads to the everyday consumer not too buy.

They need to take a few pages out of apples book. Phone releases one week after the keynote in just about every country on every carrier simultaneously. Software updates are always pushed the same

This is imperative on the psychological side of BlackBerry's future sales.

KISS - keep it simple stupid - quick release, universal launch, universal updates. Period

Stay On Top | Knowledge is Power. Information is Liberating
    maybe the reason why US carries don't want to stock blackberry is likely due to the fact that US customers didn't buy the bb10s
    09-14-14 12:54 AM
    Risk is always part of innovation. No guts no glory. Look at Apple neon colour computer when they first came out. Look at Harman Kardon soundsticks speakers. The designs are all part of innovation. It's refreshing. It's not like Passport main attraction is only the form factor. The phone pack with decent specs too with a more mature 10.3 software. It will garner more attention than any OS10 phones the company has to date using less budget than the Z10 launch.
    09-14-14 10:36 AM
    I love my Q10, but would appreciate a larger screen for my old eyes. Conversely, Teens and 20's both write and read in micro-fonts, no more nice large cursive or printing. People >45 should appreciate the Passport screen, and keyboard. Young ones perhaps to be different.
    This applies to me as well! I'm looking forward to that nice, wide screen for the old eyes.

I also access architectural drawings from my device. It's OK on my Z30, but I'm expecting the 4.5" 1:1 to be better.
    rider997 likes this.
    09-14-14 11:38 AM
    Risk is always part of innovation. No guts no glory. Look at Apple neon colour computer when they first came out. Look at Harman Kardon soundsticks speakers. The designs are all part of innovation. It's refreshing. It's not like Passport main attraction is only the form factor. The phone pack with decent specs too with a more mature 10.3 software. It will garner more attention than any OS10 phones the company has to date using less budget than the Z10 launch.
    Also the iPad. After it's announcement the tech masses started comparing the name with feminine hygiene products and millions questioned Apple's decision on the iPad's moniker.
    Supa_Fly1 and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-14-14 02:28 PM
34 12