I had a thought the other day. I want Blackberry to mock up a laptop keyboard that has the same touch technology that the passport has. Can you imagine the same keyboard that you currently have on your laptop, only instead of a small touchpad below the space bar, the entire keyboard becomes a touch sensitive area. I could imagine that, without depressing any keys, you could slide your fingers lightly over the keyboard, and it would scroll/move the mouse/everything that the current touchpad does.

I would invent it myself if Blackberry didn't hold the patents for such a device. Team up with Dell/HP/Lenovo, and license that tech to their laptop keyboards!
    SK122387 and Andy_bb_king like this.
    10-07-14 01:22 AM
    probably not too cost effective on such large area, also makes no sense. what would you do with a 13"+ touchpad?
    10-07-14 01:31 AM
    probably not too cost effective on such large area, also makes no sense. what would you do with a 13"+ touchpad?
    I think he is saying that instead of having that 2-3" area below the keyboard on a laptop where a touchpad exists, that you can shave off the 2-3" if the keyboard was touch sensitive. But that only benefits if the screen can be reduced, not likely.

Case of Solution in Need of a Problem, IMO.
    10-07-14 02:05 AM
    also im sure theres also hardware underneath the touchpad
    10-07-14 02:12 AM
    add to that touchscreens, there is no need for touchpad on laptops.
    10-07-14 02:41 AM
    I'd pay whatever it cost for BlackBerry to make an iPad case with THEIR keyboard technology.

Part of me still thinks they should make a Typo type device for iPhones or sell the BlackBerry 10 keyboard in the iOS App Store. Yeah, I know some will say that this would mean that no one would buy a BlackBerry anymore, but I look at it as... BlackBerry would have the opportunity to make a few bucks off of millions of people.. and iPhones out there would be a little more BlackBerry
    10-07-14 02:43 AM
    I'd pay whatever it cost for BlackBerry to make an iPad case with THEIR keyboard technology.

Part of me still thinks they should make a Typo type device for iPhones or sell the BlackBerry 10 keyboard in the iOS App Store. Yeah, I know some will say that this would mean that no one would buy a BlackBerry anymore, but I look at it as... BlackBerry would have the opportunity to make a few bucks off of millions of people.. and iPhones out there would be a little more BlackBerry
    Fancy new profile photo!

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 likes this.
    10-07-14 03:08 AM
    All I'm saying is I was sitting at my pc the other day and tried to swipe back on my keyboard to erase a word........ just saying

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    hpjrt, Vorkosigan and 00stryder like this.
    10-07-14 03:34 AM

Here! Here!

F. Seacrest... go take a piece out of the forbidden fruit like everyone else. You're not going to convince all those iphone users to buy a blackberry. Price it just right and people will buy it out of curiosity. That's a market you CREATE. AND IT'S EASY. That's what interns are for.

You have to know who you are to make it in this world. Chen is doing a great job of reminding our good Canadian company what it is.

It's like selling Tim Bits without losing the franchise.

Selling the Avro Areo engines and not dropping the planes in the bottom of a lake.

If you can't sell your product to as many people as you like, sell a taste of the recipe to the people who can sell it, and then remind them that they aren't getting the real McCoy.

You might go to Burger King for the whopper, but you go back to MacDonald's for the fries.

OP's on to something.

Passport || Fido
    10-07-14 03:41 AM
    I'm not a fan of smartphone/tablet things put into a computer.
    The biggest example coming in my mind, is the touchscreen. Some years ago, many people were saying: Oh imagine if a computer had a touchscreen instead of a mouse etc...
    Results ? I have a laptop with a touchscreen, but I never use it. Finger print stays on the screen, and the "old mouse/keybord" combo still the best.

I think that actual computer hardware are one of the best productivity tool we have. And I don't really think actual smartphone hardware can replace them.

Posted with my French Q10
    mimimillergrieger likes this.
    10-07-14 03:46 AM
    Fancy new profile photo!

Posted via CB10
    Haha nothing fancier than a picture in your bathroom!

I originally took it to show someone that I'd gotten the Passport, but decided my old photo of me and my Q10 had to be replaced with me and my newest obsession

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    10-07-14 03:59 AM
    Haha nothing fancier than a picture in your bathroom!

I originally took it to show someone that I'd gotten the Passport, but decided my old photo of me and my Q10 had to be replaced with me and my newest obsession

Posted via CB10
    Haha, nothing wrong with that.

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 likes this.
    10-07-14 04:16 AM
    I agree with you about the touch screen, but mainly because using a keyboard and a touchscreen is a jarring experience because you keep having to more your hands back and forth. The real benefit to the touch sensitive keyboard in a laptop is that you would never have to move your hand out of position!
    10-07-14 07:56 AM
    I predict the PC will use eye tracking as the 2nd best control method to replace other input devices such as mouse and trackpad.

What is the #1 way? Direct connect to our brains. It'll happen but sadly not in my lifetime.
    10-07-14 08:04 AM
    Pre-Passport the same could have been said for smartphones. Sometimes it pays to be different.

Edit: this is in reply to there being no need for it as computers have touch screens already.
    10-07-14 08:12 AM
    I hate when typing on some colleague laptop, I keep moving the cursor around... No, mouse, touch screen and pen... no need for a big touchpad on the keyboard.
    10-07-14 12:45 PM
    The applications are endless!

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 05:41 PM
    I hate it when I'm using a laptop and I end up resting my wrists on the touch pad, it does all sorts of crazy stuff with the mouse and usually ruins what I was typing. Very frustrating. A laptop with a full touch keyboard sounds like a curse from hell... sorry to say.
    10-07-14 06:17 PM
    All I'm saying is I was sitting at my pc the other day and tried to swipe back on my keyboard to erase a word........ just saying

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    While I haven't done that - I regularly hit space 2x to try to insert a period. And I now excuse spelling errors by explaining that my BlackBerry would have corrected that.

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12 likes this.
    10-07-14 06:27 PM
    What i want to know is, why is swipe from left to right not enabled to navigate the hub? Were talking about the keyboard here. Or peak and flow via keyboard? Would love to keep my screen cleaner. Even to swipe back a page in browser
    10-07-14 07:05 PM
    So then maybe there can be a 'cursor' button that you depress to activate the touch feature of the keyboard. i think having a mouse is a better way still, so this wouldn't be for desktop use, but i just really hate that touch pad below the space bar...or even using that nibble between the g and h on some keyboards.
    10-08-14 05:06 PM