Hi everyone. I'm brand new here but used blackberries extensively up until 2010. Thanks for the forums and the community.

So I'm writing this from my passport...
    I used every android flagship I can think of, then used the Nokia 1520 and HTC m8 both windows phones up until about a month ago when I ordered the blackberry passport. I used it for 2 hours and returned it the next morning for a note 4 followed by xperia z3 then a nexus 6 and a oneplus one.

The entire time a little voice inside me kept nagging at me "you didn't give that passport a fair run"

I ordered another one and it came in Saturday. I used it that day, about 8 hours straight on Sunday and all day today.

After 3 days I'm getting much better with the keyboard and still learning all kinds of cool new things. The battery life (my biggest pet peeve) seems adequate but not extraordinary (i'd have to give that to the oneplus one).

I don't play lots of games or watch movies other than the occasional quick youtube video. I do look at spreadsheets from work and do lots of reading on my device and lots of txt.

I keep asking myself is this the right device for me? I'm not sure yet but at the same time I have absolutely no desire to go back yet or miss my android devices. Btw no apple for me, tried ipad air and hated it, same with iphone.

Anyway that's a bit about me.

Now on to my question...

I was bothered by the fact that there is no auto brightness on this but I noticed at night in bed the screen does dim and as soon as I turn on the light in the room the screen gets brighter, however it only seems to get brighter up to my set brightness level (50%).

So does the passport indeed have auto dimming or doesn't it?

Thanks for looking. Sorry about any grammatical errors, English is my second language.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 08:28 PM
    Go into your pics app and swipe down to settings, turn off stories this will help with battery life. and welcome to the best phone on the planet.
    Last edited by WITHDRAWL; 12-22-14 at 09:16 PM.
    thedose and geekaren like this.
    12-22-14 08:47 PM
    Brightness for BB10 devices has been a debate ever since. Officially there is an always on auto-brightness which can't be disabled. Back when the Z10 launched it was stated this was a super complex miracle of modern world coding. That brightness slider only was some sort finetuning. However it doesn't seem to work this way. I have to say yes there indeed is some sort of automatic brightness, but obviously the slider seems to be responsible for the most part.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 08:57 PM
    go into your pics app and swipe own to settings. turn off stories this will help with battery life. and welcome to the best phone on the planet.
    Thank you for that! Was wondering why the damn storymaker kept running in my background that whole time!

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 09:06 PM
    go into your pics app and swipe own to settings. turn off stories this will help with battery life. and welcome to the best phone on the planet.
    serioussss?
    12-22-14 09:06 PM
    Yes, on the top left of the screen bezel, work your finger along the top bezel and hold it down, if you hit the right spot, you will see the display brightness change. I noticed this when bored at meetings and helps in discovering peculiarities of my Passport.....

Im with you on the ipad/iphone thing. I use an iPad Air from time to time, and picture using it as if it was an iPhone. that OS and the way it functions would drive me nuts....
    12-22-14 09:09 PM
    serioussss?
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 09:17 PM
    Thanks, glad to be here... Yeah I just played with it some more and it seems to auto dim and brighten up to my preset level. That's actually pretty nice. And thanks for the awesome pictures app tip!
    Any other tips for prolonged battery life? I'm a heavy user and usually working 9 to 14 hours a day.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 09:41 PM
    Give the passport a chance, you will find its a great device for messaging, email and working with spreadsheets and so on. Welcome to the CB forum and you will find a great bunch of people who are really passionate about their BlackBerry devices and are more than happy to answer your questions.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-22-14 10:03 PM
    Thanks, glad to be here... Yeah I just played with it some more and it seems to auto dim and brighten up to my preset level. That's actually pretty nice. And thanks for the awesome pictures app tip!
    Any other tips for prolonged battery life? I'm a heavy user and usually working 9 to 14 hours a day.

Posted via CB10
    I know this is going to sound strange, but i leave BT,location, wifi,blend, all running all the time, and find the battery better,
    12-22-14 10:06 PM
    On the brightness: slider for brightness is only a 'maximum measure' and auto brightness is always on. So you are rightfully noticing some dimming when in darker environments..

For the battery life: it last a looong on Passport. However, common sense approach is the best ( less screen time longer the battery life). More WiFi less LTE, more use.. use your Device Monitor to check what is eating your power and adjust accordingly, or accept the fact. But expect all day use with no problems. Be aware that battery usually 'settle' after few days, so first few days you need to count as a warm-up ; -)

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 01:52 AM
    Hi everyone. I'm brand new here but used blackberries extensively up until 2010. Thanks for the forums and the community.

So I'm writing this from my passport...
    I used every android flagship I can think of, then used the Nokia 1520 and HTC m8 both windows phones up until about a month ago when I ordered the blackberry passport. I used it for 2 hours and returned it the next morning for a note 4 followed by xperia z3 then a nexus 6 and a oneplus one.

The entire time a little voice inside me kept nagging at me "you didn't give that passport a fair run"

I ordered another one and it came in Saturday. I used it that day, about 8 hours straight on Sunday and all day today.

After 3 days I'm getting much better with the keyboard and still learning all kinds of cool new things. The battery life (my biggest pet peeve) seems adequate but not extraordinary (i'd have to give that to the oneplus one).

I don't play lots of games or watch movies other than the occasional quick youtube video. I do look at spreadsheets from work and do lots of reading on my device and lots of txt.

I keep asking myself is this the right device for me? I'm not sure yet but at the same time I have absolutely no desire to go back yet or miss my android devices. Btw no apple for me, tried ipad air and hated it, same with iphone.

Anyway that's a bit about me.

Now on to my question...

I was bothered by the fact that there is no auto brightness on this but I noticed at night in bed the screen does dim and as soon as I turn on the light in the room the screen gets brighter, however it only seems to get brighter up to my set brightness level (50%).

Thanks for looking. Sorry about any grammatical errors, English is my second language.

Posted via CB10
    Yes their is a light sensor that automatically dims the device depending on ambient light!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-23-14 09:37 AM
    I know this is going to sound strange, but i leave BT,location, wifi,blend, all running all the time, and find the battery better,
    That's weird. I found blend to be a power drainer so usually I plug it in to use it. The other things I left it on all the time.

Here is another awesome tip that made big difference for me: go to settings - security and privacy - Application permissions, then turn off BBM integration setting for all the apps don't need BBM integration... for me it's pretty much all apps because I don't have any serious BBM contacts.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-23-14 10:52 AM
    Yes I keep it off also.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 10:56 AM