Hey experts,

I recently bought an used BBPSE today. I'll do a factory reset first ofcourse, but then what should i do? Do you have any suggestions?

I saw that people installed GooglePlay Store, how can i do that? You people using so much shortened words like "BBPSE" i cant understand mostly any of them , can you share the links for me?

Note: I'm a standart user, so i'll use WhatApp, Instagram, Facebook =). And i'm open for any suggestions for cool interface programs or like that.

Thanks already,

Ozzy.
    Attached Thumbnails Bought a new BBPSE, what to do first?-whatsapp-image-2020-04-16-21.45.03.jpg  
    04-17-20 01:15 AM
    Welcome to the BB Passport SE family. It's an amazing looking device, a unique piece of hardware and if I stand corrected, the last Blackberry 10 device that was launched by Blackberry Ltd.

I can't offer too much information on how to get Google Play services working on the phone, given the Android Runtime on this phone is 4.3, we are looking at few modern Android apps working really well. It's really limited on that front, at least it will be very soon.

The device is best suited for some great calls, texts, emails and some light Web surfing. The speakers on this phone are top quality and it plays music, videos and podcasts very well as a result.

Enjoy the device for what it really does offer in 2020, we are not looking at a super modern device that has access to lots of apps and games, etc.

Some users may believe that the functionality of the phone is vastly superior to what it is, but I would argue it's great at the very basics in 2020. I don't want you to be upset or not happy with BB 10.

Cheers and welcome

Posted via CB10
    ozangil likes this.
    04-17-20 02:41 AM
    Hello,
    First, congratulations It's an amazing device, often praised for its signal strength, sound quality (calls, music, headphone output...), screen...

As you may know, it's a pretty old device, running an EOL (end of life) OS. It still have plenty of useful apps, and can run Android app/games if those are supporting up to 4.3 API, which is old (Jelly Bean, 2013).
    Fortunately, a lot of people in this world still have old Android devices, that's why some apps can still run on it (Whatsapp, Telegram, Fennec Browser, Kiwi browser...).
    ...But as for social networks, it's an outdated device.
    - For Facebook I would recommand to use the browser (touch.facebook.com) but you won't get any push notifications (you can still get those if you configure Facebook to send them by email or sms). You can also use the Android Facebook Lite (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/facebo...7-184-release/) application, which works perfectly.
    - For Whatsapp, you can download the Android version from the official website (https://www.whatsapp.com/) and it works quite well, except that it is battery-hungry (and you may have issues with it : can't upload big video files, and maybe some others I'm not aware of)
    - For Instagram, you can download a native app called iGrann (from App World) but you won't be able to use direct messages, stories and multiples pictures / post... You can't use the Android version, requires Android 6.0+. Your best option is to use it througth the browser (www.instagram.com), you can use pretty much all of the features, but won't be able to post stories, and it's a slower experience than the native app. You won't get push notifications, as well.
    - For Twitter, I would recommand you to use Blaq (from App World) or Bird10, which is still in development by one of the members here (https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...itter-1178312/)
    - For Maps : You can still use the default application, still works fine, but you can also use Waze I guess
    - For Youtube : I would recommand the browser (m.youtube.com) or an Android app called A New Pipe (XCrazyS member adapted it for our Bb10 devices (https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ricks-1173929/)

If you need some specific applications, you can still search in the App World for native ones, but you can also install an alternative Android "Store" like F-Droid (https://f-droid.org/) because you won't able to use Google Services on your phone (ie : pretty much every google stuff : Google Play Store, ...)
    Last edited by guizmox; 04-17-20 at 03:37 AM.
    elfabio80 and ozangil like this.
    04-17-20 03:20 AM
    Thanks for the reply!
    But i saw that people talking about "Cobalt", and saw a few videos about that, i think i'm gonna do some research for it =)
    04-17-20 08:38 AM
    if I stand corrected, the last Blackberry 10 device that was launched by Blackberry Ltd.
    You can stand corrected.......it was the Leap (April 2015).
    04-17-20 09:10 AM
    Thanks for the reply!
    But i saw that people talking about "Cobalt", and saw a few videos about that, i think i'm gonna do some research for it =)
    The Cobalt stack is now pretty much obsolete and not worth installing. For Google Play Store try the front-end Yalp Store and use your Google ID to log in.
    ozangil likes this.
    04-17-20 09:15 AM
    The Cobalt stack is now pretty much obsolete and not worth installing. For Google Play Store try the front-end Yalp Store and use your Google ID to log in.
    Right, but it's still usable if you want to be able to use chromecast with eg netflix (where you have to use latest working version). Could be worth it.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-20 10:28 AM
    Thanks i'm gonna try that!
    04-17-20 10:34 AM
    Hey experts,

I recently bought an used BBPSE today. I'll do a factory reset first ofcourse, but then what should i do? Do you have any suggestions?

I saw that people installed GooglePlay Store, how can i do that? You people using so much shortened words like "BBPSE" i cant understand mostly any of them , can you share the links for me?

Note: I'm a standart user, so i'll use WhatApp, Instagram, Facebook =). And i'm open for any suggestions for cool interface programs or like that.

Thanks already,

Ozzy.
    Before you do a factory reset you might want to check current OS build on your phone: should be 10.3.3.3216 and program version 10.3.3.2137 . If not you would be recommended to download latest autoloader.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mikael11; 04-17-20 at 11:38 PM.
    brookie229 and ozangil like this.
    04-17-20 10:37 AM
    When I bought my Passport OG (unlocked) open box from Ebay it downloaded the latest OS automatically as a software update.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-20 01:25 PM

Thanks already,

Ozzy.
    Before resetting the device go to settings -> BlackBerry ID and see if it is still registered with a BlackBerry ID. If it isn't you're good to go. If it is registered with a BlackBerry ID you need to ensure BlackBerry Protect is turned off before wiping it, as you will be asked for those credentials afterwards.
    04-17-20 08:52 PM
    You can stand corrected.......it was the Leap (April 2015).
    True....but on the other hand the SE was presented to the public in August 2015....so....
    04-18-20 07:37 AM
    True....but on the other hand the SE was presented to the public in August 2015....so....
    The SE is still just a Passport though and not different model.
    04-18-20 07:39 AM
    The SE is still just a Passport though and not different model.
    Yes, but it is an improved, different version of PP that was released later than the Leap. Technically speaking, it is the really last BB10 device.
    04-18-20 07:42 AM
    Yes, but it is an improved, different version of PP that was released later than the Leap. Technically speaking, it is the really last BB10 device.
    How was the SE improved spec-wise over the OG Passport or the AT&T Passport since I've always understood that all were the same under the hood?
    04-18-20 07:45 AM
    How was the SE improved spec-wise over the OG Passport or the AT&T Passport since I've always understood that all were the same under the hood?
    I haven't really noticed any major difference spec-wise to be honest. I have read elsewhere that some people think it has better signal, maybe due to the casing?, or slightly better camera. I can't confirm these comments though. But the actual construction/quality of materials of the SE is on another level compared to the OG; I know, after all I have both versions....
    04-18-20 07:57 AM
    I haven't really noticed any major difference spec-wise to be honest. I have read elsewhere that some people think it has better signal, maybe due to the casing?, or slightly better camera. I can't confirm these comments though. But the actual construction/quality of materials of the SE is on another level compared to the OG; I know, after all I have both versions....
    So, unfortunately, it’s just considered like a red edition Key2, just another version of already existing model. It was explained really well like the red Key2 but in the end it was just hype more or less.
    04-18-20 08:36 AM
    So, unfortunately, it’s just considered like a red edition Key2, just another version of already existing model. It was explained really well like the red Key2 but in the end it was just hype more or less.
    The SE Passport was actually just an accident. It was originally intended to be Android, but when that fell apart with Google (the whole 1:1 screen ratio business), it was scrapped.

Unfortunately, some purchaser at BlackBerry had accidentally placed an order and committed them to x number of new units. Hence the SE BB10 Passport was born.
    ppeters914 and FabriciusFab like this.
    04-18-20 08:43 AM
    The SE Passport was actually just an accident. It was originally intended to be Android, but when that fell apart with Google (the whole 1:1 screen ratio business), it was scrapped.

Unfortunately, some purchaser at BlackBerry had accidentally placed an order and committed them to x number of new units. Hence the SE BB10 Passport was born.
    Facts always get in the way of good hypothesis.
    04-18-20 08:45 AM
    Well, we digress here....All this string of quotes started with me saying that technically speaking, the PP SE was the last BB10 device launched ever. And this is a fact. All the rest is an interesting and useful conversation that actually touched a different topic.
    04-18-20 08:49 AM

This is very interesting! I didn't know that! But, why "unfortunately"? After all the SE was the best Passport ever.
    04-18-20 08:51 AM
    This is very interesting! I didn't know that! But, why "unfortunately"? After all the SE was the best Passport ever.
    Unfortunate for BlackBerry - not us!
    04-18-20 08:52 AM
    Unfortunate for BlackBerry - not us!
    04-18-20 08:55 AM
    In fact there is a little difference, the selfie cam is updated and performs better in less light. AFAIK that's the only difference .
    04-18-20 12:40 PM

Wouldn't it have been great an Android Passport. Such a shame Google and BlackBerry couldn't work past the 1:1 ratio

Posted via CB10
    Simon6333 likes this.
    04-19-20 08:30 AM
30 12