Hi everyone,

I'll try and keep this short and sweet and to the point. The facts are as follows:

• Pre-ordered the Red BBPP
    • Received the passport
    • Price dropped by $100 2 weeks later
    • Called Digital river/shopblackberry support (WORST EXPERIENCE EVER) and a request was created to refund me the difference in price
    • Called back several times after 4 days and was told my request was being worked on
    • After 2 weeks of waiting i got mad and they transferred me to a supervisor, then to their main office in MN
    • Was told the refund request was denied. I became very exasperated
    • Found out a close friend with a Z30 had a similar situation that the price dropped after he bought it and was issued a refund. Tried using this as leverage but the people in MN would not comment or look up his order number even though i had everything.
    • Tried every possible avenue, @blackberryhelp is also useless
    • I love blackberry but i'm so defeated over this and i'm almost ready to send it all back and be done with blackberry for good
    • I offered to return and rebuy the phone initially but she suggested that the refund request would be smarter, which i agreed. Why would they want a refurbed phone back to them when they could just refund me the difference.

Has anyone else gone through this? Or were you successful in getting a partial refund? I need your help if you were.

Thanks Crackberry nation.
    01-08-15 10:01 PM
    I was given a partial refund with the #coupongate thing that happened beginning of October. Originally they had charged me full ammount and I told them that I was given the coupon right after I had placed my order... I had them open a ticket immediately. It took a couple of weeks but, since the Passport was on backorder forever, I had the time to put up the fight with DR. They always told me that it was being 'reviewed' or 'processed' until finally I got through to the right person there and she said that it had been approved. Sure enough, credit to my account and Passport came in later that week.

I hope things turn out for you but, in hindsight, this device is easily worth the full retail price. It's always nice to save money but just know that you won't be disappointed with the device itself, either way. It's worth it. You won't feel ripped off.

...But go get that $100 and good luck!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-08-15 10:13 PM
    [*]I offered to return and rebuy the phone initially but she suggested that the refund request would be smarter, which i agreed. Why would they want a refurbed phone back to them when they could just refund me the difference.
    If Digital River told you this, then that would be your best leverage. That and timing. Make sure you do it before your 30 days so that, if push comes to shove, you still have the leverage of being able to send it back to them.

01-08-15 10:16 PM
    Thanks dude. I appreciate your contribution. Not familiar with the coupon gate part, and don't get me wrong, the phone works great just annoyed big time at the level of "service" I've received from DR and I don't understand why blackberry has to deny my request for a partial refund when DR lowered the price....but maybe I'm missing something.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 10:16 PM
    If Digital River told you this, then that would be your best leverage. That and timing. Make sure you do it before your 30 days so that, if push comes to shove, you still have the leverage of being able to send it back to them.

Yea I just passed that time when they told me no, which I left out of my original post.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 10:17 PM
    If it's any consolation, your experience mimics mine. They are extremely challenging to deal with. Things are a bit better if you're dealing with BlackBerry directly for warranty for example, but even that experience can be better.

If you have the ability, return and re-buy. Keep in mind though it will take them several weeks to process a refund most likely.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 10:22 PM
    Thanks dude. I appreciate your contribution. Not familiar with the coupon gate part, and don't get me wrong, the phone works great just annoyed big time at the level of "service" I've received from DR and I don't understand why blackberry has to deny my request for a partial refund when DR lowered the price....but maybe I'm missing something.

Posted via CB10
    A lot of us were able to use a standard discount code for our purchases of the Passport. I don't think it was an intentional promotion, perhaps an oversight from Digital River.

Quite honestly, they were a nightmare to deal with. It was like talking to robots and completely frustrating what little information they were able to provide. The Passport was on back order for at least 3 weeks and I was calling Digital River at least every couple days to have news, both about shipping info and to see if they had approved my discount code. In the end, the discount was just barely worth all the hassle.

fraunhofer777 likes this.
    01-08-15 10:27 PM
    I got money back from the coupon thing too.

I just called and said I bought it at X amount but now it was at Y and was wondering if I could get the difference.

For some insane reason, they agreed, and I got a credit back. I did this with my black Passport, but bought my red Passport through Amazon because I didn't want to wait.
    01-09-15 12:19 AM
    It's only a hundred bucks. Chill lol. The time you've spent trying to get it changed and posting this thread you could've probably made $200 if you were doing something productive. Choices.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 12:39 AM
    It's only a hundred bucks. Chill lol. The time you've spent trying to get it changed and posting this thread you could've probably made $200 if you were doing something productive. Choices.

Posted via CB10
    That was a condescending response. But thanks anyway

Posted via CB10
    RazzBerry and IamSuperMas like this.
    01-09-15 10:33 AM
    Im sorry but is this something apple would do? Give you back 100 bucks after a price drop?
    01-10-15 07:24 PM
    I got money back from the coupon thing too.

I just called and said I bought it at X amount but now it was at Y and was wondering if I could get the difference.

For some insane reason, they agreed, and I got a credit back. I did this with my black Passport, but bought my red Passport through Amazon because I didn't want to wait.
    I had a similar experience with the Z30. The price dropped, so I called them up and asked for a refund of the difference. I was well within the 30 days and the rep said it /would be/ more expedient for them to refund than have me return and re-order. I got the refund shortly after.

I remember we were both in the free accessories fiasco a while back and BlackBerry made good on that... like really *good*. So far, no bad experiences from Digital River or BlackBerry to the point of making me upset enough to stop buying from either company. (knock on wood)
    01-10-15 07:37 PM
    Im sorry but is this something apple would do? Give you back 100 bucks after a price drop?
    Apple will refund the price difference within 14 days if there's a price drop and the customer requests it. 14 days is their return window.

Maybe DR should change their return window to 14 days to match Apple, since people constantly bring up Apple's policies as the best.
    IamSuperMas likes this.
    01-10-15 07:42 PM
    They offered you a product at a certain price, you accepted the offer and the sale progressed. They then offered the same product at a lower price, this is commercial life, in my view you have no comeback.

Passport or Z10, whichever is nearest
    01-10-15 07:44 PM
    I own a multi store retail operation and like it or not retailers have to draw a line on price guarantees. Usually you are price protected within the return period, which depending on the industry can be 0 to 30 days. Only retailers that have a lot of leverage over their suppliers and who can dump the returns on them would ever consider extending that period. Customers have to realize that they at the time of purchase decided the item was worth what they paid. If it is not faulty simply accept that you paid a fair price and stop looking at what others paid.

You didn't get screwed.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 07:47 PM
    I own a multi store retail operation and like it or not retailers have to draw a line on price guarantees. Usually you are price protected within the return period, which depending on the industry can be 0 to 30 days. Only retailers that have a lot of leverage over their suppliers and who can dump the returns on them would ever consider extending that period. Customers have to realize that they at the time of purchase decided the item was worth what they paid. If it is not faulty simply accept that you paid a fair price and stop looking at what others paid.

You didn't get screwed.

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough, and my only leg to stand on here, is that they did exactly the same thing for the Z30 purchasers (which is what my close friend bought) and it bothered me that much as its the same idea in principle. Why was it honered in that case, but not this one. No one at DR seems to be able to answer that question. Either way thank you for your response.
    01-10-15 08:53 PM
    If you return your phone, receive a refund then purchase one at the lower price just beware that you will most likely receive a refurb or returned phone.

BlackBerry is sending out a lot of return phones and refurbs for current sales.

Digital River is horrendous to deal with. That's what happens when you outsource. Save a dollar but lose a lot more dollars with frustrated customers leaving.

I'm in the process of returning my red passport for build issues. As soon as I see my passport returned/delivered and signed for by BlackBerry I'm calling my credit card to get a refund with the buyer protection program offered through my CC provider. Not waiting weeks to get a refund after it shows as returned back to BlackBerry. I have already confirmed with my CC provider that they will credit my CC for the cost of the passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 09:44 PM
    This is simply bad business practice. They should have a 30 day price guarantee and back it up no matter what. Brick and mortars do it.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 09:46 PM
    You guys need to get good credit cards with price protection. Saves a lot of brain damage.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 10:07 PM

You didn't get screwed.

Posted via CB10
    This.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 10:12 PM
    They offered you a product at a certain price, you accepted the offer and the sale progressed. They then offered the same product at a lower price, this is commercial life, in my view you have no comeback.

Passport or Z10, whichever is nearest
    I agree. You guys are lucky you are able to return your device within 15 to 30days, in my country, Philippines, there is no return unless there is defect on the unit. So if the price drops the next day after purchase, there's nothing to do but cry. Haha
    01-10-15 10:12 PM
    I agree. You guys are lucky you are able to return your device within 15 to 30days, in my country, Philippines, there is no return unless there is defect on the unit. So if the price drops the next day after purchase, there's nothing to do but cry. Haha
    Again, i must point out they did the same thing for the Z30 price drop, yet they wouldn't do the same thing (in principle) for the passport. Thats what i'm so hung up on. Lots of good points about the CC coverage, and how i'm SOL and JWF, thanks everyone.
    01-11-15 02:03 AM
    Fair enough, and my only leg to stand on here, is that they did exactly the same thing for the Z30 purchasers (which is what my close friend bought) and it bothered me that much as its the same idea in principle. Why was it honered in that case, but not this one. No one at DR seems to be able to answer that question. Either way thank you for your response.
    When I called to ask for a difference refund on the Z30, the rep already had some kind of notice that if I had purchased it after a certain date, the refund would be honored. Whatever policy that was had already been preset. The refund was approved before I got off the phone.

If you really want the refund and are willing to put the effort into it, you have the date of sale, the date of the price drop, and the date of your request. If everything falls within the 30 days, it seems like they should honor it. If you're outside of that range, well I don't even know if Apple would honor it. For example, say you bought an Apple device on the 1st, the price drops on the 10th and you don't make the request until the 30th, you're outside Apple's 14 day window.
    01-11-15 02:17 AM
    This is simply bad business practice. They should have a 30 day price guarantee and back it up no matter what. Brick and mortars do it.
    Except Apple is only 14 days.
    01-11-15 02:18 AM
    You guys need to get good credit cards with price protection. Saves a lot of brain damage.
    This is certainly a possibility... Maybe your CC has this feature?
    01-11-15 02:18 AM
50 12