First, before I begin, I just want to say I haven't visited the forums in a long time so today is probably the first time in a long while... So I have missed out on a lot of conversations, especially the one I'm about to bring up.

I was browsing through some sites search for NFC payment related articles, because I was searching for some article stating when I could possible use my Passport to start paying for purchases and stumbled upon a site which branded itself as 'NFC world'

And on that site, which was supposedly made for all things NFC, the only blackberry worthy article I could find had no information on it. And it made me reflect on how hated Blackberry is in the general media.

Yes, RIM (then) messed up and let a lot of people down. However, comparing then and now, is the change from legacy and BB10 so minimal that people are still transferring the hate?

The argument has been made regarding App availability as one of the issues but I recall clearly when Thor still had the reins, how he fought for some apps and even added some incentives for Devs to develop for BB10 which still fell flat.

So here's my question: what would it take for BB10 to realistically get a better traction amongst the general public based on their current standing and the current market?

Are they going to eventually rise above the hate? Or do you see blackberry bowing out of the hardware industry?

PS: sorry about the long-winded approach and sorry if an article like this already exists within the forum.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 02:19 AM
    what would it take for BB10 to realistically get a better traction amongst the general public based on their current standing and the current market?
    It would take what ultimately allowed the iOS and Android rise. The current market leader(s) would have to drag their feet (or worse--- not even realize they have to take the next step), become so outdated in relation to BB10, and give people no choice but to have to abandon what they have been using (iOS/Android) for the alternative.

The problem with BB10 is not BB10, it's just that the vast majority of people don't need to switch to it.
    07-27-15 07:56 AM
    I might be the minority. I switched from Android to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll and Zeratul57 like this.
    07-27-15 08:07 AM
    What is fewer than 'minority'?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 08:19 AM
    A Minion lol?

Posted via CB10

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    anon(679606) and scorepion like this.
    07-27-15 08:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    The minority in minorities: Z50 drooler

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-27-15 05:13 PM
    It would take what ultimately allowed the iOS and Android rise. The current market leader(s) would have to drag their feet (or worse--- not even realize they have to take the next step), become so outdated in relation to BB10, and give people no choice but to have to abandon what they have been using (iOS/Android) for the alternative.

The problem with BB10 is not BB10, it's just that the vast majority of people don't need to switch to it.
    You make a solid point. And I've guessed as much. It puts Blackberry in precarious position. They would have to keep belting out quality phones, software updates and support in hopes that there competition screws up.

And while I hate the small incremental updates of Apple and Samsung, I don't actually see them screwing up

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 07:15 AM
    I for one do not qualify the experience on a non BB device screw up free. Sorry. In regards to the USA market, many are just going with what the kids use and know, that = cheap crap or hand me down stuff from crapple and droid. Too many people and business depend on free email service and cry when overzealous spam filters kill their emails. Still some dont get it. Maybe BB needs to market to kids and get them on some cheap hardware.
    07-28-15 07:42 AM
    I for one do not qualify the experience on a non BB device screw up free. Sorry. In regards to the USA market, many are just going with what the kids use and know, that = cheap crap or hand me down stuff from crapple and droid. Too many people and business depend on free email service and cry when overzealous spam filters kill their emails. Still some dont get it. Maybe BB needs to market to kids and get them on some cheap hardware.
    Of course it is all about perception of what should and shouldn't be expected from a 'modern' device. There was a time in which it was actually acceptable to have small screens, low res, terrible cameras, occasional hour glassing,.. in exchange for the amazing value of real time mobile data communication. Just like it was acceptable at one point to have 480p VHS for many years.

Things progress and people expect more based on what they see around them. That will be OK until things progress again... and they 'SEE' the new thing again.

The problem with BlackBerry 10 was that most people already thought they knew everything BlackBerry could make (a VHS), so it was very difficult to get them to look again. Even when they did, 10.0 on the Z10 was plagued with issues and lack of features that it actually reinforced the popular 'knowledge' that they were behind the times.

On the other side you had two progressing ecosystems (even if they weren't progressing in the directions you feel are important),.. aided by a posititive 'pop culture' perception of being the 'upgrade from a pre-smartphone BlackBerry'.

It would have taken perfect execution on the device and OS as well as a magnificent marketing campaign.

Neither of those happened.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 10:24 AM
    Blackberry devices will always have a stronghold for those that require secure communications and an outstanding keyboard typing experience! Having been a member for quite a while now the most often thing I read and hear about is how accurate the typing experience is on BlackBerry devices. Even BlackBerry all touch devices have better predictive input by swiping. IOS and android can't compare! And with the Android runtime gives us the best of both worlds. Lastly, email access and management. Is something that cannot be achieved with IOS ad android devices. There will always be a market for BlackBerry devices.

 Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2252 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    07-28-15 10:28 AM
    Apple almost lost the farm dragging it's feet offering large displays...

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 10:31 AM
    Apple almost lost the farm dragging it's feet offering large displays...

Posted via CB10
    Almost? I don't remember an almost :s

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 12:20 PM
    Stock plummeted when samsung & motorola & others came with big screens & big batteries & little or no bezel real estate wastage... then back up. With new bigger screens... now watch distracts. Since Jobs died, Apple is flopping like a pike on the dock...

Almost? I don't remember an almost :s

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 12:27 PM
    Stock plummeted when samsung & motorola & others came with big screens & big batteries & little or no bezel real estate wastage... then back up. With new bigger screens... now watch distracts. Since Jobs died, Apple is flopping like a pike on the dock...
    Hahahah I remember that. I currently use my windows phone to follow apple, blackberry, microsoft and google... and usually, every time apple announces something new, their stock takes a dive before eventually staggering back up

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 04:54 PM